January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will make two signings, deregister Tosun and Martina, and keep Niasse because there's no need to sign a striker who won't even get a sniff until the end of the season now. Ancelotti has already said he is not looking for a striker which means he is resigned to Everton and Brands not being able to find a buyer for Niasse between now and the end of the season. This is backed up by him giving him cameo roles to keep him involved in case we need him due to injuries to Richarlison, DCL and Kean. I don't think he was putting him in the shop window. If we are going to make a hefty fee first-team quality signing it has to be a player who qualifies as home-grown IMO.

Last edited:

Brighton have done well to get Mooy for £5m. He always looks tidy.

Presumably, though, it'd be £1m and you get a complimentary Parker pen if it was the magical summer window of giving.

If that 5m is a price that anyone can pay, rather than a part of their loan agreement, then Brands should be on the phone to Huddersfield making an offer. Mooy has proven himself at PL level and at that price it's a perfect way for a club that's got FFP issues to boost the squad.

If that 5m is a price that anyone can pay, rather than a part of their loan agreement, then Brands should be on the phone to Huddersfield making an offer. Mooy has proven himself at PL level and at that price it's a perfect way for a club that's got FFP issues to boost the squad.
He also can't run and isn't an elite enough passer to make up for it. I don't think he's what we need despite the price.

If 78m for digne is true, we’d be mad to turn it down. It would alleviate considerable pressure on our accounting to meet FFP targets. Allowing Ancelotti to buy the players he wants, not who brands wants, to rebuild the side.
Yeah we have to take that if offered.

Nothing wrong with selling players for big money, as Liverpool have shown over the last 5 years

If Gbamin gets back for mud feb and can hit the ground running that’ll be a big help
If Gomes gets back for 4/5 games that’ll help too
But I’d like to see a new dominant midfielder in for the first Feb

I think there has to be some realism about the type of player we can attract. If we could get Rabiot, I'm sure it would get done. If Can would come initially on a loan deal, again I sense we would do it. However if we are at the point where we have to lash a big fee on a player who isn't perfect for us, I just can't see that. At least I can't see us moving for plan b or plan C again, nor just signing a player for the sake of it.

It doesn't seem to fit what Brands is trying to do and whats Ancelotti would presumably be ok with. If Rabiot is the player he wants, and we have to wait for the summer for him, then to me, so be it.

It's frustrating I know, but last season we spent no money and turned our form around from February onwards. In other years we've spent more to go nowhere. I know it's an overly simplistic analysis but to me there's not as much of a correlation between signing players and improvement, you have to sign the right players.

The big issue with this team is mindset and professionalism. They were absolutely streets ahead of Newcastle for 65 minutes last night, let them in for 15 minutes (but were comfortably holding them at bat) then had a crazy 2 minutes to throw away a game. This is a familiar pattern, see Brighton, Leicester, Millwall, Newcastle, Wolves, Bournemouth away over the last 18 months. It's a common theme. I'm not sure signing single players can change that. It goes deeper.

If 78m for digne is true, we’d be mad to turn it down. It would alleviate considerable pressure on our accounting to meet FFP targets. Allowing Ancelotti to buy the players he wants, not who brands wants, to rebuild the side.

Where has this rumour emerged from? That seems an insane fee for him. I would consider selling him for half that figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.