FC (5):
Enner Valencia
Romelu Lukaku
Arouna Kone
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Ademola Lookman
Leandro Rodriguez
Oumar Niasse

Dare I suggest we're looking a bit lightweight, especially on the wings and fullbacks.

were going with wingbacks till summer at least imo

It wasn't his point, he was cry arseing about the January window, and we were never going to bring in high calibre players to fill all of those positions in the Jan window. Everyone knew the main summer window was disappointing, including the new owner, but we were never going to revamp the squad in Jan ffs.

I don't agree that it is impossible to bring in players of a good enough quality in January. There's less available and prices are higher but it can still be done, especially if we looked outside of England.

Just because there wasn't a lot of high profile moves in this window doesn't mean it cannot happen.

There could be any number of reasons why it didn't happen but they're just excuses. We've got a massive scouting network and they've had 5-6 months with Walsh now to identify realistic targets for the positions Dave has mentioned. We've failed to bring in signings for those positions, whatever the reasons and excuses are they've failed to improve the squad beyond the two players brought in and we're looking very light in some positions because of that failure.

I don't want to hear them or you blaming some alignment of the stars or simply saying "well everyone knows nothing happens in January". It's a transfer window, find the players and sign them. Either we did a crap job identifying players we could sign, or we did a crap job negotiating for them.

Another window closed with holes in the squad that haven't been addressed by those responsible for doing so.

Wrong. He signed two players that will get game time because the manager will pick them; he got rid of several players that he wouldn't have played.

There's a difference.
You just said the same thing I did but used the word manager a couple times. And if you don't think the players we signed are better than what we offloaded, then there's no hope.

B+ window in my opinion. Sold deadwood on good fees, and brought in two first team players.

Can we please just take time to recount Martinez's quotes on Tom Cleverly:

"I think you do not have a better English player. Technically he is as good as you get...for me he is one of the most sensational you are going to see in Premier League history. I would not sell him for any money in the current market."

I need to lie down. If FIFA wasn't corrupt they would take Martinez's coaching badges away.

The response to that is usually "like you know better than people employed by the club". Easy retort there: "Niasse".

I just cant abide by the idea that there was NOBODY else out there for us to procure who would have improved the team. There was a bid accepted for Befodil(sp) and then we pulled out because they didn't REALLY rate him. But...that's it. They never went in for anyone else in that vein (or, indeed, at all).
Nobody wants to assign any blame for failing to sign players at the feet of the people who are paid to do this for the club.

It's all:

"Well there was nobody available"

"Its January"

"Too overpriced"

"Teams don't want to sell"

and a litany of other excuses made for them.

I'd love a job negotiating transfers for Everton, if it goes wrong you can just shrug your shoulders and go "January innit mate". Not good enough from the club.

I've always thought the January window should be abolished anyway. Rarely does a team make a season-changing signing -- Gnashers across the park likely the best example of the exception to the rule -- and it's always a seller's market. We got in a quality midfielder, pushing Tugboat Barry farther down the pecking order, and a very promising youngster who's already made an impact. Our under-23s are top of the table, playing against the top youngsters of other PL clubs, so most of them look able to make the step up sooner rather than later.
Overall, I'm more than satisfied with this month's activity. The players who remain are now, in some cases, on a 16-game tryout to see whether they deserve to be here next season. We're not going to win the league, nor will we be relegated. We even have a fairly good chance at Europe next season. Next summer will be the make-or-break window as far as I'm concerned.

I don't agree that it is impossible to bring in players of a good enough quality in January. There's less available and prices are higher but it can still be done, especially if we looked outside of England.

Just because there wasn't a lot of high profile moves in this window doesn't mean it cannot happen.

There could be any number of reasons why it didn't happen but they're just excuses. We've got a massive scouting network and they've had 5-6 months with Walsh now to identify realistic targets for the positions Dave has mentioned. We've failed to bring in signings for those positions, whatever the reasons and excuses are they've failed to improve the squad beyond the two players brought in and we're looking very light in some positions because of that failure.

I don't want to hear them or you blaming some alignment of the stars or simply saying "well everyone knows nothing happens in January". It's a transfer window, find the players and sign them. Either we did a crap job identifying players we could sign, or we did a crap job negotiating for them.

Another window closed with holes in the squad that haven't been addressed by those responsible for doing so.

What i find a bit odd was the admission that summer was poor then koeman throwing a hissy fit over what seems to be only the speed of schmeiderlin signing.

Over many months to get the players in where we would know who we wanted and their prices it is odd that we even failed with a young keeper who went to bournemouth as well as hirst and other young lads not to mention our inability to use the stones money.

Like i said before, i think most of us would have been thrilled with pickford for example even if we loaned him back till summer...kessie was there for £30mil...im sure others were available too.

Having said all that, it seems as though it was a quiet one for everyone

The fact the RK and big Joe watched the under 23s beat a good UNT side on Monday night with Walsh Pennington having great games maybe he can see no players out there with a percentage of that team more than ready to come in like Tom Davis may have been a factor tomdit tight!

Last edited:

The fact the RK and big Joe watched the under 23s beat a good UNT side on Monday night with Walsh Oennington having great games maybe he can see no players out there with a percentage of that team more than ready to come in like Tom Davis may have been a factor tomdit tight!

i reckon the u23 players where better than the players we could actually get in january, hence no-one above us strengthening

Was hoping I wouldn't have to look through the vaults. I wonder where the hatred stems from, obviously missed something.

Valencia and also just his general demeanour...if he improves us then i may warm to him or i will respect his achievements with us...but so far hes a bit meh....hes switched to this formation which served him well in 2nd half of last season at saints...hope he keeps it and brings through kids.

What i find a bit odd was the admission that summer was poor then koeman throwing a hissy fit over what seems to be only the speed of schmeiderlin signing.

Over many months to get the players in where we would know who we wanted and their prices it is odd that we even failed with a young keeper who went to bournemouth as well as hirst and other young lads not to mention our inability to use the stones money.

Like i said before, i think most of us would have been thrilled with pickford for example even if we loaned him back till summer...kessie was there for £30mil...im sure others were available too.

Having said all that, it seems as though it was a quiet one for everyone

I don't get that either Zat. He has a moan about signings coming in and then shuts up when we sign one player while going on to decimate the squad with no look towards bringing more quality in.

i reckon the u23 players where better than the players we could actually get in january, hence no-one above us strengthening

Possibly giving them a fair chance. But why not strengthen the u23s further? We were in for Hurst and Ramsdale and yet neither of them came...i remember others mentioned also...thats odd.

Where would football forums be without people like us speaking from positions of total ignorance of what goes on behind closed doors?
Life would be much less amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.