January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can call it pragmatic if you like. I prefer to identify it for what it was: a window marked by lack of intent to do anything other than scrape a few more hundred thousand off the wage bill.

A dismal project, completely lacking in any ambition or urgency.

Behind the top four scorers in the Premier League this season are two Everton players with 22/3 league goals between them. That is near enough to a fact as you can get. We have TWO players in the top five scorers in the Prem. Only the top six and Bournemouth have scored more goals than us. We are the only club outside the top six with a positive goal difference.

Last edited:
Necessity is the mother of invention. I expect a club that's known for a few seasons they need to employ a striker of note to have all their moves lined up...even if for a loan move to add some sparkle to the attack.

Not to be though. I find that very frustrating.

It is a frustration.

But like I said, there was just a dearth of options out there.

I've never been sold on Batshuayi but almost expected him to be signed if we had sold Gana earlier this week. In an ideal world we'd have loaned him but obviously we can't do that because of Zouma.

It's obviously a must, but realistically I doubt we could have got anybody which would have guaranteed an improvement.

He's hardly had a chance at Chelsea has he in fairness.

Goals to minutes ratio at Chelsea is actually good and he's scored goals at both Marseille and Dortmund and has a great scoring record for Belgium.

The fact is if he does well his stock rises and we have no chance of signing him as someone like Dortmund or Sevilla sniffs around.

West Ham
Leicester
Wolves
Bournemouth
Crystal Palace

All teams who have better centre forwards than us - spin it how you want thats why Everton will be doing nothing over the next couple of seasons.

Yet only RS, Arsenal, Spuds and City have anyone that has scored more than us...

It is a frustration.

But like I said, there was just a dearth of options out there.

I've never been sold on Batshuayi but almost expected him to be signed if we had sold Gana earlier this week. In an ideal world we'd have loaned him but obviously we can't do that because of Zouma.

It's obviously a must, but realistically I doubt we could have got anybody which would have guaranteed an improvement.

Werner, definite improvement but definitely not jan window. Summer will be fun definitely.

You can call it pragmatic if you like. I prefer to identify it for what it was: a window marked by lack of intent to do anything other than scrape a few more hundred thousand off the wage bill.

A dismal project, completely lacking in any ambition or urgency.
I think you dream of an owner who resembles the profile of Peter Ridsdale.

I think it’s about time we start looking at such prospect. The breakthrough must happen sooner or later and with Brand around I expect sooner.

I'm sure we are looking at such prospects, not these he's a prospect anymore, but i'm sure we're not the only ones.

To think we'd get a player who will definitely have far more attractive suitors than us feels a little naive to me.

If we got a player like him i'd be ecstatic, but it doesn't exactly feel likely does it?

I think it just means we’ll be doing our business in the summer window, I expect a lot of movement and I don’t think this was ever a 1 window ‘project’. We’ve got to accept that, as it stands, we are miles away from getting into the top 6. I think it’s reasonable to suggest that a lot of work has already gone on behind the scenes for June but we’ll know soon enough.

For me, Silva/Brands need another 18/24months. I accept we’re wanting better results, a better brand of football etc etc and some are already saying they don’t think Silva is the man for the job but I’ve seen enough to suggest he can get the team going and we can get results.

Looking around Europe it’s clear to see that no teams with the exception of those in trouble did much in the winter window. You only need to look at our 2 ins for the last Jan window to see how short term it can be. I don’t think we have little ambition for the rest of the season (circumstances dictate 7th is our only target) but I do take what you’re saying.

The summer window is simply huge for us. There are at least 10/15 players that need to go

1. Stek
2. Jags
3. Williams
4. Pennington
5. Morgan
6. Besic
7. Sandro
8. Kevin Miralles
9. Bolasie
10. Niasse
11. Theo?
12. Cenk?
13. McCarthy?
14. Browning
15. Martina
Zouma/Gomes loan returns Etc

and we need about 4/6 in.
Backup keeper
Centre back
Right back
Centre mid
Right wing
Striker

Realistically Brands/Silva were never getting the job done in 1 or two or even 3 windows. I think we need another two summer windows to get this squad to where it needs to be.

This is an exceptionally difficult league and we only need to look at recent score lines to see how competitive it is.

I’m expecting major surgery over the summer.
There are a few more to be added to that list
Tarasquay ( or whatever his name is ) Garbutt ,Galloway, and a few more of the under 23s who haven’t kicked in
It’s a massive job and as you say it could take the next 3 windows to shift them all

Status
Not open for further replies.