January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....now it’s all over, I think @ijjysmith was right in predicting no incomings. Well done.

Had we sold Gueye - or had PSG come in with a more acceptable bid earlier in the window (maybe even a day earlier!) we'd have got someone in I think.

The main issue is shifting this deadwood.

Schneiderlin needs to be punted asap because he's one of our highest earners, same with Sandro. But no club is gonna be mental enough to pay their wages.

The striker issue needs to be addressed of course but DCL & Cenk given chances will score IMO. The problem we have is we are so slow moving up the field the defense have already organised themselves and marked the striker out of the game. The creative side of our game is so lacking.

We've basically heard the club say they have no ambition for the remainder of the season.

Fair enough. But that rules out any meaningful critique of Silva if we fall out of the top half. He has been cut adrift with the failure (again) to buy a striker.

I think it just means we’ll be doing our business in the summer window, I expect a lot of movement and I don’t think this was ever a 1 window ‘project’. We’ve got to accept that, as it stands, we are miles away from getting into the top 6. I think it’s reasonable to suggest that a lot of work has already gone on behind the scenes for June but we’ll know soon enough.

For me, Silva/Brands need another 18/24months. I accept we’re wanting better results, a better brand of football etc etc and some are already saying they don’t think Silva is the man for the job but I’ve seen enough to suggest he can get the team going and we can get results.

Looking around Europe it’s clear to see that no teams with the exception of those in trouble did much in the winter window. You only need to look at our 2 ins for the last Jan window to see how short term it can be. I don’t think we have little ambition for the rest of the season (circumstances dictate 7th is our only target) but I do take what you’re saying.

The summer window is simply huge for us. There are at least 10/15 players that need to go

1. Stek
2. Jags
3. Williams
4. Pennington
5. Morgan
6. Besic
7. Sandro
8. Kevin Miralles
9. Bolasie
10. Niasse
11. Theo?
12. Cenk?
13. McCarthy?
14. Browning
15. Martina
Zouma/Gomes loan returns Etc

and we need about 4/6 in.
Backup keeper
Centre back
Right back
Centre mid
Right wing
Striker

Realistically Brands/Silva were never getting the job done in 1 or two or even 3 windows. I think we need another two summer windows to get this squad to where it needs to be.

This is an exceptionally difficult league and we only need to look at recent score lines to see how competitive it is.

I’m expecting major surgery over the summer.

Had we sold Gueye - or had PSG come in with a more acceptable bid earlier in the window (maybe even a day earlier!) we'd have got someone in I think.

The main issue is shifting this deadwood.

Schneiderlin needs to be punted asap because he's one of our highest earners, same with Sandro. But no club is gonna be mental enough to pay their wages.

I think it was a really positive window in regards for trying to get this obscene spending on total agent agenda driven, mercenary dross, under control.

Clubs are stacked with wasters taking home more money per week than some fans mortgages, that will take a lifetime to pay off. This has been the case for many years now, but we have started to see a shift towards blatant downing of tools by pampered stars.

This has to stop or the game will combust as more fans turn away.

The whole yellow tie, Sky deadline day show is nauseating.

I think it just means we’ll be doing our business in the summer window, I expect a lot of movement and I don’t think this was ever a 1 window ‘project’. We’ve got to accept that, as it stands, we are miles away from getting into the top 6. I think it’s reasonable to suggest that a lot of work has already gone on behind the scenes for June but we’ll know soon enough.

For me, Silva/Brands need another 18/24months. I accept we’re wanting better results, a better brand of football etc etc and some are already saying they don’t think Silva is the man for the job but I’ve seen enough to suggest he can get the team going and we can get results.

Looking around Europe it’s clear to see that no teams with the exception of those in trouble did much in the winter window. You only need to look at our 2 ins for the last Jan window to see how short term it can be. I don’t think we have little ambition for the rest of the season (circumstances dictate 7th is our only target) but I do take what you’re saying.

The summer window is simply huge for us. There are at least 10/15 players that need to go

1. Stek
2. Jags
3. Williams
4. Pennington
5. Morgan
6. Besic
7. Sandro
8. Kevin Miralles
9. Bolasie
10. Niasse
11. Theo?
12. Cenk?
13. McCarthy?
14. Browning
15. Martina
Zouma/Gomes loan returns Etc

and we need about 4/6 in.
Backup keeper
Centre back
Right back
Centre mid
Right wing
Striker

Realistically Brands/Silva were never getting the job done in 1 or two or even 3 windows. I think we need another two summer windows to get this squad to where it needs to be.

This is an exceptionally difficult league and we only need to look at recent score lines to see how competitive it is.

I’m expecting major surgery over the summer.

Williams will be a free agent so as far as we are concerned he is gone

We never made any signings due to the high wage bill we have.

The same will happen in the summer if we can't shift some of the deadwood. It's not sustainable, especially with a new stadium to pay for.
To be honest I think this summer will be much easier to sell than ever before.

I'm expecting the players that come in to be much cheaper than we normally would sign them for. Maybe one or two more expensive sure but overall cheaper options with the idea to develop long term.

So we are more in a position to lose money on players to compensate for the higher wages. Considering Martina mirallas Williams bolasie will be gone with potentially another 4-5 at least out the squad, it will lower the bill bit give us more room to manouvre than before.

People don't want to pay bolasie 80 grand but they can compensate if he costs less than 10 million for example

Been hearing that point over and over, and I still dont buy it. There;s deals to be had. If your polciy as a club is to sell to buy then you find a way. My conclusion is that the club just aren't thinking about matters on the pitch, they're looking at the books.

This is what austerity looks like.

I don’t know what this conclusion is based on?
I’d say as a business they are likely doing both.
If it’s because we didn’t sell any of our deadwood then why didn’t Chelsea sell Drinkwater or Cahill, United didn’t sell Darmian or Rojo, Arsenal didn’t sell Wellbeck, RS haven’t been able to sell Markovic in 4 seasons, Spurs didn’t sell Wanyama etc etc

Plus, we’ve one of the biggest net spends in the league but we’re still miles away, something needs to change.

Summer surgery required.
£750k p/w on deadwood cannot be absorbed forever and it certainly can’t be added to.
Frustrating that we can’t add better players but a sensible approach.

Absolutely. This summer simply has to see a load of these chumps, they don't even deserve the term deadwood, leaving. Not on loan, but leaving our club forever.

It's an incredibly tough ask because of how we used to run not too long ago, but it has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.