January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shows the declining standard of player though. Osman was an academy product who spent almost the entirety of his career playing in a top 7 premier league team yet was viewed (wrongly in my opinion) as a poor player in comparison to his teammates.

Davies is seen as a decent alternative to the dross we have in the first team despite being nowhere near the skill level that Osman was.

Quit before you embarrass yourself. Osman was an academy product who had 0 appearances at ages 19 and 20, 2 PL appearances at 21 (0203), 4 PL appearances at 22 (0304), before finally breaking through in 0405 (age 23) to make 29 appearances.

Davies made 2 PL appearances at 17, 24 PL appearances at 18, 33 PL appearances last campaign aged 19, and 9 PL appearances in the current campaign. Davies is not yet 21 and has made 68 PL appearances vs Osman's 2 PL appearances at or before the same age.

Shows the declining standard of player though. Osman was an academy product who spent almost the entirety of his career playing in a top 7 premier league team yet was viewed (wrongly in my opinion) as a poor player in comparison to his teammates.

Davies is seen as a decent alternative to the dross we have in the first team despite being nowhere near the skill level that Osman was.

Mate osman still hadn't even made his league debut for Carlisle by the age Davies has 100 1st team appearances

He defo helps the cause.

how so? your prediction is finish 14th, which means we will lose more games rest of the season with Gana...

We are 11th now, 8 pts off 14th.... so in your prediction, we would start losing games with Gana and drop to 14th..... how's he helping the cause? sorry, just trying to understand fully what you're saying

Quit before you embarrass yourself. Osman was an academy product who had 0 appearances at ages 19 and 20, 2 PL appearances at 21 (0203), 4 PL appearances at 22 (0304), before finally breaking through in 0405 (age 23) to make 29 appearances.

Davies made 2 PL appearances at 17, 24 PL appearances at 18, 33 PL appearances last campaign aged 19, and 9 PL appearances in the current campaign. Davies is not yet 21 and has made 68 PL appearances vs Osman's 2 PL appearances at or before the same age.

It’s not about the direct comparison between the two. I like Davies, it’s about the relative comparison between their midfield peers. Osman in his prime was seen as a poor player by some such was the quality of those around him. A 20 year old Davies is seen as a good player by some because the likes of Gueye Schneiderlin Siggurdson Klaasen have been so poor for us.

It’s not about the direct comparison between the two. I like Davies, it’s about the relative comparison between their midfield peers. Osman in his prime was seen as a poor player by some such was the quality of those around him. A 20 year old Davies is seen as a good player by some because the likes of Gueye Schneiderlin Siggurdson Klaasen have been so poor for us.

giphy.gif

Think what you want mate. If you want to posit an argument that the crop of midfielders we’ve had recently are better than the ones under Moyes (which is the overall point I’m making). Have at it. If you want to argue that Davies is better now than a prime Leon Osman have at it. I’ve made my points so will no longer to respond to simplistic readings of them followed by unecessary overreactions.

A very confusing post. Osman at his peak is better than davies but using the overall squad quality from 2 different era as a benchmark to compare is odd.

Osman was playing for us when we were arguably a player or two away from breaking into the top 4 yet we persisted with him (often out on the wing) when a superior player who wasn't as weak or lacking real pace that Osman did could have helped us greatly.

Osman could turn very well, wasn't too bad a dribbler because of how agile he was, picked up good spaces in attack but did have flaws to his game that were very frustrating. Yes he was a better player than he was given credit for but we needed something different to him to take us up a level and we never got it.

I'd argue that Davies is seen by many as not up to standard and receives a lot of criticism - not as good as Osman in his prime but a different type player who still isn't even 21.

Osman was playing for us when we were arguably a player or two away from breaking into the top 4 yet we persisted with him (often out on the wing) when a superior player who wasn't as weak or lacking real pace that Osman did could have helped us greatly.

Osman could turn very well, wasn't too bad a dribbler because of how agile he was, picked up good spaces in attack but did have flaws to his game that were very frustrating. Yes he was a better player than he was given credit for but we needed something different to him to take us up a level and we never got it.

I'd argue that Davies is seen by many as not up to standard and receives a lot of criticism - not as good as Osman in his prime but a different type player who still isn't even 21.
Problem was back in Moyes time we hadn’t got the money to upgrade on Osman
We had but preferred to pay it in interest to bills mate

Status
Not open for further replies.