January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, it's funny.. just as I start coming around to the idea that I'd like us to get Luke Shaw the chances are that United will probably want to keep hold of him now.

Everton that.

It would have been fairly obvious to anyone who had watched Spurs this season that the only way to get any sort of result would have been to press and press again all over the park.Most of our players walked off the pitch looking as though they'd just finished a pre training session warm up.That isn't down to coaching,but an attitude of supposed senior.professionals who have probably bought into the idea that all they need is three more wins against teams below us.As I said earlier,Martinez,Koeman,Unsworth,Allardyce.They have served up the same lack of commitment for all four.Huge end of season clear out needed and a test of the boards will to see us succeed,not just survive.

We pressed them all over the park first half, but ran out of steam second and they over ran us, we have to be fitter and of course have better ball retention.

A ball carrier an actual replacement for Ross Barkley please you fat headed oaf

Do you know this is what we need more then anything, behond the unicorn that is a left back even.

Our transition is the poorest part of our play there is just massive gaps between defense, midfiled and attack we need someone centrally who can create and play with their head up and bridge the transition ball carrying as well would be ideal.

Someone like Mahrez is really what we need.

Rooney should and can be that player but he hasnt done it for me in the last three games.

Do you know this is what we need more then anything, behond the unicorn that is a left back even.

Our transition is the poorest part of our play there is just massive gaps between defense, midfiled and attack we need someone centrally who can create and play with their head up and bridge the transition ball carrying as well would be ideal.

Rooney should and can be that player but he hasnt done it for me in the last three games.
We are trying to sign the 20m marhez

Mahrez would be great - but I doubt he will leave Leicester for us

Seen it afew times now, any truth about us going for Rafinha? Some papers saying we've already made a bid now talking to his representatives others saying we are thinking about it has anyone heard anything?

We are trying to sign the 20m marhez

I think its someone more like Arteta we need centrally, someone who creates centrally in between the lines and deeper, someone who will play with their head up and forwards and bridge the transition and can make yards by bringing the ball forward, someone to push the play forward. I see Walcott more out on the flank coming in or an inside forward.

We need a left sided fullback
A deep lying playmaker

Instead we'll sign a third right winger because we have a scouting team who watch Match of the Day 11/12 reviews.

I think his pace will make a difference mate, we also need a cutting edge up front and players who will support Tosun, I am wholly convinced Tosun doesn't know what his team mates look like given he was so isolated on Saturday. Its to easy to nullify the threat of one attacker then it is three, it also protects our flanks if the threat is coming from the other direction. But yes to the rest as well.

Last edited:

Seen it afew times now, any truth about us going for Rafinha? Some papers saying we've already made a bid now talking to his representatives others saying we are thinking about it has anyone heard anything?

....lots of links over the past few days, i’ve just read a report that somebody on the Everton Forum reckons we’ve asked about a loan deal with a view to a permanent £20m deal (plus bonuses).

We need a left sided fullback
A deep lying playmaker

Instead we'll sign a third right winger because we have a scouting team who watch Match of the Day 11/12 reviews.
Jack Wilshere's been playing that role well for Arsenal recently. Left footed, passes well, rarely loses possession and can draw a foul. He still hasn't agreed a new deal and is free in the summer. Shame he's a plank and an injury prone one at that.

The way I see things now, going forward there are at least two systems we can employ on the basis that we sign Walcott but fail to bring in a LB. With Coleman coming back soon I honestly don't think we'd be looking too bad until the summer:

Against 'non-top six' teams at home:

Pickford

Coleman - Holgate - Jagielka - Kenny

Rooney - Gueye

Walcott - Sigurdsson - Bolasie/Lookman

Tosun

Think this one is pretty straightforward. Rooney is at his best when he's finding space with the ball to bring out of the midfield. Plenty of options in front of him to work with. Bolasie & Lookman are much of a muchness out on the left though I think Bolasie gets the nod by virtue of his distribution being better (I also happen to think Lookman, by and large, would be more effective coming on as a sub). Jags gets the nod over Williams due to him generally making better use of the ball from the back, though that's not really saying an awful lot.

Every other scenario:

Pickford

Holgate - Keane/Jagielka - Williams

Gueye
Coleman-----------------------Kenny

Davies

Walcott----------Sigurdsson

Tosun

I appreciate this one looks a bit bonkers but I think it could work. It's essentially a back five with Coleman & Kenny as wingbacks, which both are capable of doing. In both Walcott and Sig in front of them they have players who are good on the ball and will provide an outlet. Rooney is dropped to the bench with Davies getting the nod, as a CM I think his off-the-ball productivity is a bit better than Rooney's whilst still possessing the quality to be able to attack with the ball when he gets the opportunity to (certainly when his tail is up). The likes of Rooney, Bolasie, Lookman, Vlasic and even McCarthy would be good options off the bench depending on the situation in the second half of matches.

Just as a side note, and I say this quietly, but I think Klaassen could potentially also work in Davies's position in that system.

Last edited:
Jack Wilshere's been playing that role well for Arsenal recently. Left footed, passes well, rarely loses possession and can draw a foul. He still hasn't agreed a new deal and is free in the summer. Shame he's a plank and an injury prone one at that.

Would love Wilshere here but he said he definitely won't be going anywhere in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.