2023/24 James Tarkowski

An absolute cart horse. Not good enough.
The guy definitely isn't the worst of our problems, but it's been super weird seeing all the people over the last couple years acting like he's one of the best at his position in the league, or that it's some travesty that he's not getting picked for England. He's got some strengths and he is definitely better than a big chunk of crap centre halves who've gotten games over the last 10 years, but he has never been all that great. I will never forget watching that Burnley team that dropped repeatedly giving up goals where he just did not track a runner, and he really isn't good at anticipating danger in general. He seems to value being physical above all else, yet when somebody's going at him he regularly just backs off them until he's within 5 yards of the goal line, taking the much, much riskier alternative of trying to block shots rather than prevent them from being taken in the first place.
The only reasons I can figure out that people throughout the game (at least the media types anyway - I'm assuming if the people making decisions at clubs valued him, he'd have gone somewhere higher in the table when he was available on a free) have bought into the narrative of how solid he is, are because he played so long for a team that only ever prioritised defending, he's good at winning contested headers, and he looks the part.

The guy definitely isn't the worst of our problems, but it's been super weird seeing all the people over the last couple years acting like he's one of the best at his position in the league, or that it's some travesty that he's not getting picked for England. He's got some strengths and he is definitely better than a big chunk of crap centre halves who've gotten games over the last 10 years, but he has never been all that great. I will never forget watching that Burnley team that dropped repeatedly giving up goals where he just did not track a runner, and he really isn't good at anticipating danger in general. He seems to value being physical above all else, yet when somebody's going at him he regularly just backs off them until he's within 5 yards of the goal line, taking the much, much riskier alternative of trying to block shots rather than prevent them from being taken in the first place.
The only reasons I can figure out that people throughout the game (at least the media types anyway - I'm assuming if the people making decisions at clubs valued him, he'd have gone somewhere higher in the table when he was available on a free) have bought into the narrative of how solid he is, are because he played so long for a team that only ever prioritised defending, he's good at winning contested headers, and he looks the part.
The money he's on is insane for a player of his level.

Brentford won't be paying Ben Mee anything close to what Tarkowski's getting, despite him being the better player.

Remember Moyes bid £30mil for him and Burnley wanted more?

With Tarkowski what you see is usually what you get. A solid, no nonsense centre back with a bit of snide in there.

He lacks the ability on the ball and the pace to be a level up but hes usually very good at what he does.

Having said that, if a decent offer came in for any player Id probably look at taking it and rebuilding.

The money he's on is insane for a player of his level.

Brentford won't be paying Ben Mee anything close to what Tarkowski's getting, despite him being the better player.

Not for mee(!), i think Tarkowski is the better player.

I love Tarkowski, but I will say that I think a lot of what his reputation is built on with fans is a consequence of being a center back on a team that parks the bus and lets the opposition control possession. In other words, he'd still do his job, but he wouldn't be leading the league in blocks. That number is inflated by the team's style of play.

Think is an average prem defender not a bad player but nothing special, is an improvement on the rubbish we have because of mistakes at buying cb. But is an area we need to improve on

Yeah I'm glad people are noticing this - thought it was just me.

I think the 3-yr long relegation battle is taking it's toll on us now.

Bunker down boys, you can do it.

They're just showing what we've seen over the years. Pressure leading to mistakes. Confidence shot. Lot of it self inflicted.

Having said that, if a decent offer came in for any player Id probably look at taking it and rebuilding.
Yeah, I don’t want to hear any bleating about selling Branthwaite, Pickford, or the tea lady because the club desperately needs a purge and full rebuild now. As much as I like Pickford and Branthwaite (and rate both), they’re not part of a solution on the pitch anymore - as their respective displays last night confirmed. We need to tear it all down and dream it all up again.