Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
….the possession stats are bound to be skewed by the approach Benitez took. He set teams up and sent players out to consolidate, regardless of the opposition. We surrendered possession, invariably conceded first & then started to play.

The stats were not much different under lampard. Esp after a few games when the penny dropped that he had possibly the worst midfield in the league. We're cloggers who have more or less no vision or guile in midfield. We treat the ball like a ticking bomb.
I dont think it matters who the manager is. Even ancelotti sat deep in home games against the likes of fulham.
Until we get better players across the middle of the park we're not going to change that much.

Thing is our possession stats last season were 36 out of 38 games were inferior. So it all depends on how or if we change that. I cant see it unless the midfield have a complete overhaul. So im sort of torn now on the possible signing of him for that reason. If we're sitting deep giving away possession again then he might be an option. But we cant carry on playing that way with any hope of progressing. But its a double edged sword because if it takes more than a season to repair the midfield you're once again bringing in a 30yr old on big money for what, 4 years?
Ideally a shorter contract might be the best option. If he gets a better offer from another club to tie him up for 4 years then drop it and move on.
It’s a great point tbf. Midfield for me the root cause of the weakness in the team, depends how much of an overhauled we give it.

If we have Allan and Doucoure starting again next season, we play like we finished this, sitting deeper and going a bit more direct then Tarkowski would make sense for the season but Lampard he already said he wants to evolve into a better possession based team and that starts from the back. So you have to wonder how long someone line Tarkowski would suit the way Lampard wants to play.

Re heading, we definitely need to get more players in the team who can attack the ball - probably ideally want four minimum and for large spells last season we only had Keane and Richie in the team who are decent in the air, no wonder we conceded so many from set pieces, could see the fear in the players faces. Just not sure Tarkowski is right for the way Lamps says he wants to be playing.

The stats were not much different under lampard. Esp after a few games when the penny dropped that he had possibly the worst midfield in the league. We're cloggers who have more or less no vision or guile in midfield. We treat the ball like a ticking bomb.
I dont think it matters who the manager is. Even ancelotti sat deep in home games against the likes of fulham.
Until we get better players across the middle of the park we're not going to change that much.

….but when Lampard came in we were dropping like a stone. I agree we could’ve been more progressive at Watford, but the wins against Chelsea, United and Leicester were lots to do with being hard to break down. I think he found a way to grab points and stuck with it.

….but when Lampard came in we were dropping like a stone. I agree we could’ve been more progressive at Watford, but the wins against Chelsea, United and Leicester were lots to do with being hard to break down.

Thats my point. By the time chelsea united and leicester we now had that dig in attitude. Early on we went to spurs and tried to play high. 5-0 later is where i think the penny dropped.
The midfield simply cant boss any game. And our defence isnt great when exposed.
Long story short. There is lots to be done in recruiting again. So much actualy its quite scary.

Thats my point. By the time chelsea united and leicester we now had that dig in attitude. Early on we went to spurs and tried to play high. 5-0 later is where i think the penny dropped.
The midfield simply cant boss any game. And our defence isnt great when exposed.
Long story short. There is lots to be done in recruiting again. So much actualy its quite scary.

…being devils advocate, it was largely the same group of players that was so convincing at times last season so perhaps it’s not as bad as you suggest.

The loss of Sigurdsson might have had more impact than folk think, and certainly we lost further creativity with Rodriguez and Digne. I thought Digne was impressive in Villas final game at City.

…being devils advocate, it was largely the same group of players that was so convincing at times last season so perhaps it’s not as bad as you suggest.

Convincing in what way?
I thought lampard got a good attitude out of them. They fought for points no doubt about it. But ability wise. It was backs against the wall games clinging on. Thats not the aim we should be looking at long term.

Tarkowski will come for a few reasons. 1/ Lampard and 2/ family. his grandad used to have a car dismantlers/spares business up in southport- i think Tarksey likes to tinker with cars on his days off so its a no-brainer. think about it.

I think we need a proper, proper hard nosed defender of the Italian/South American/John Terry mould, who just wants to defend at all costs. Tarkowski is better than what we have at the present, so I'd take him and considering it's a free, or possibly a signing on fee, then it fits in with our finances at the moment.
Godfrey needs to beef up on his upper body strength as he gets pushed off the ball to easily. Holgate is a good enough squad back up player. Mina does have that defend at all costs but is too injury prone. Keane would need to continually work on his defending but may be past his usefulness. I think he should be sold if we get Tarkowski and another central defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.