2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to get high earning, underperforming players off the books.

Because they are high earning and underperforming.

Another post that picks 3 top players from the 3 top teams.

It doesn't apply to Everton. Those teams are packed with quality. We have 1 absolutely top quality player (James) and 3, maybe 4 very good players.

No point at all building a system around that one player who misses 40% of of our matches. When he does play we have a high chance of seeing the system fail because we have several players who can't do the basics right.

When you factor in his wage (200k per week according to todays Echo - who knows?) he's a luxury item that we can't fully enjoy because of those around him.

He'll leave, for pretty nominal fee but we're free of his wage drain.

Gutted I haven't seen him.
On this mate.

I know it is, but it's also Brands' job to do it.

It is. But then someone could give me a job that involved vaulting the Grand Canyon on a space hopper... Doesn't make it any easier or more realistic of a proposition.

Not really comparable is it?

Brands is a Director of Football with a decade of experience in the role. And he was hired with that tough job being a big part of the remit.

You have never attempted to vault the grand canyon or any other canyon for that matter.

For me, he starts every game and honestly I'd stick the captain's armband on him so show him how valued he is.

He has experience, talent and the voice that everyone in our squad looks up to..

He is such a versatile player too in a 4-4-2 (diamond), 4-3-3 or 4-5-1.

Madness that we are even thinking of selling

If we do that then he will be unavailable even more often. He has to be managed on a continuous basis and can't play every game, even when fit and available.

We need options in the squad and need a style that isn't reliant on him. He needs to be added to an already effective mix, rather than being our only attacking outlet. Our business so far hasn't done that, so I don't know if he can be effective this season.

Brands is a Director of Football with a decade of experience in the role. And he was hired with that tough job being a big part of the remit.

You have never attempted to vault the grand canyon or any other canyon for that matter.
I mean you really have no way of knowing that :p

And yeah, obviously I was being facetious. Just making the point that the mere fact that someone has been employed in a job that has (as part of it) a certain task, doesn't make that task straightforward, quick to accomplish or (in some cases) even possible.

Let's take the case of Tosun (or Iwobi, or Delph, or whoever) - Brands could almost certainly get rid of him tomorrow, if he was willing to let him go for free and have us continue to pay all his wages. He 100% *couldn't* sell him if we wanted all our money back, and to pay none of his wages. Somewhere in-between those two extremes there is a tipping point where you'd get interest from the first potential buyer club. (Hint - it's closer to the first scenario than the second). This is of course assuming that that buying club is of interest to the player.

Now at that point, it's a calculation/judgement on whether it's worth our while to do that deal. If it's not, the player doesn't move. It doesn't necessarily mean that whoever is in charge of selling the player has failed, it just may be that a given player doesn't have a market for his services, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

For me, he starts every game and honestly I'd stick the captain's armband on him so show him how valued he is.

He has experience, talent and the voice that everyone in our squad looks up to..

He is such a versatile player too in a 4-4-2 (diamond), 4-3-3 or 4-5-1.

Madness that we are even thinking of selling

How can he start every game when he has only played circa 20 games a season for the past 10 years????............he's talented and very lazy. No other player would be allowed to miss games due to fatigue, why is he given a free pass?

How can he start every game when he has only played circa 20 games a season for the past 10 years????............he's talented and very lazy. No other player would be allowed to miss games due to fatigue, why is he given a free pass?
I mean... that's just not true. And if it IS true, our medical department should be sacked on the spot, since they're a danger to both the players and the club.

The football hipsters who only watch highlight reels have no idea. When we won trophies even the most talented players put in a shift.

The football hipsters who only watch highlight reels have no idea. When we won trophies even the most talented players put in a shift.

There are some youngsters (my 2 sons included) who are desperate to see him play live and i do feel a bit sorry for them, however, he doesn't and never will fit into Benitez's way of playing. Only concern is that there isn't a massive queue of clubs wanting to sign him on, which also speaks volumes

I mean... that's just not true. And if it IS true, our medical department should be sacked on the spot, since they're a danger to both the players and the club.
Why isn't it true?, he did miss games last season due to fatigue - unfortunately, Ancelotti gave him free reign to do as he wished. I'm not doubting his talent, however, his career points to a very lazy player

I suspect not but it would be worth seeing lol

And also many of those star player had lots of time out injured....yet we didn't want them sold.
Not sure which players you are thinking of, possibly Ferguson, but I can't think of many who missed games as frequently as James., and that is the key for me. He is simply not available often enough to make a difference to the team's progress, and despite flashes of brilliance he can also be anonymous in PL games. I wouldn't be too distressed to see him leave if it means we can strengthen other areas of the team.

I mean you really have no way of knowing that :p

And yeah, obviously I was being facetious. Just making the point that the mere fact that someone has been employed in a job that has (as part of it) a certain task, doesn't make that task straightforward, quick to accomplish or (in some cases) even possible.

Let's take the case of Tosun (or Iwobi, or Delph, or whoever) - Brands could almost certainly get rid of him tomorrow, if he was willing to let him go for free and have us continue to pay all his wages. He 100% *couldn't* sell him if we wanted all our money back, and to pay none of his wages. Somewhere in-between those two extremes there is a tipping point where you'd get interest from the first potential buyer club. (Hint - it's closer to the first scenario than the second). This is of course assuming that that buying club is of interest to the player.

Now at that point, it's a calculation/judgement on whether it's worth our while to do that deal. If it's not, the player doesn't move. It doesn't necessarily mean that whoever is in charge of selling the player has failed, it just may be that a given player doesn't have a market for his services, for whatever reason.
100% agree, it's a hard thing to do. But, if you listed the things we wanted him to do in 2018, and looked back now, you'd have to say he ultimately has failed so far in a large part of it.

I know it's difficult. But two of those players you list came in in the same summer under Brands. Indeed, it's that 2019 summer window which has done more damage than any other since the 2017 one.

Absolutely, but if there are no willing buyers for over valued 'talent' you can't force buyers into action.
I agree, but it’s still a failure and now we’re struggling to shift players who have been brought in on big wages during his tenure too

Status
Not open for further replies.