2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we conceded further against 10 men then. Richarlison, Holgate, Mina and Sigurdsson have all scored in our last four games ending a terrible winless period of form and shooting us up the table.
But this is exactly what I mean. The whole argument that we're playing better is based entirely around results and I'm trying to point out that doing that and saying it won't end is blatantly a fallacy.

But this is exactly what I mean. The whole argument that we're playing better is based entirely around results and I'm trying to point out that doing that and saying it won't end is blatantly a fallacy.

And I'm saying keeping clean sheets and scoring more goals than the opposition is an extremely strong indicator of improved performance, which also comes with a handy bonus of shooting us right up the league. Nobody has claimed that our improved performances will always result in a win. But we are performing much, much better, and our defensive transformation from conceding 2 goals a game to 0 goals a game is something we should try and maintain.

And I'm saying keeping clean sheets and scoring more goals than the opposition is an extremely strong indicator of improved performance, which also comes with a handy bonus of shooting us right up the league. Nobody has claimed that our improved performances will always result in a win. But we are performing much, much better, and our defensive transformation from conceding 2 goals a game to 0 goals a game is something we should try and maintain.
We aren't so good defensively right now that we won't concede ever either.

And the Man United game might not have been the PL but it did happen.

Good teams win when they arent playing their best. Sure, sometimes its a false run of form, but we have hardly been getting outshot 10-2 or with only 25% possession. Keep in mind we have also done so with 4 of our 6 best players out injured, so of course we wont play as well, so getting results in those cases I would say is pretty good.

Said this before but James has to do more...

Not been fit all season & has cost us...

Needs to return when fully fit & for me he starts on the bench...

Think he may never be fully fit & become injury prone all season with repeat injuries to old tears & strains...

Only seen flashes of his brilliance so far this season & alas that might be all we see this season...

I know it won't be popular, but what is popular is not always right & what is right is not always popular...
Yeah his injuries have been a complete surprise to everybody.

Again, wish he wasn't so prone to little niggles adding up but like many have said if he wasn't we wouldn't have him.

Was just thinking maybe he would do well with digne out playing on the left... it would be very interesting to see him cutting inside on the right foot and just scoring blamos for us every week

Oh hang in a minute he's a lefty. Nevermind...

Good teams win when they arent playing their best. Sure, sometimes its a false run of form, but we have hardly been getting outshot 10-2 or with only 25% possession. Keep in mind we have also done so with 4 of our 6 best players out injured, so of course we wont play as well, so getting results in those cases I would say is pretty good.
No we haven't and it is fine to try and play tight games and nick them when you don't have your best players fair enough but we are in here talking like we should ignore James and keep playing like this because we've won a few times. That's what I'm on about. Take this for what it was and try to play better as we get our good players back.

I'm puzzled by the contradictions too.

Screenshot_20201230-145538~2.png

James Rodriguez is set to miss his seventh game in a row as Everton continue to monitor his fitness closely. He hasn't played for the Toffees since December 5.

Shortly after that game against Burnley, Carlo Ancelotti revealed that James was suffering from a calf problem.

That injury would keep him out of the following matches against Chelsea, Leicester City, Arsenal, Manchester United, Sheffield United and now West Ham on Friday.

If Everton's game against Manchester City on Monday hadn't been postponed over coronavirus issues, James would've had to sit out another fixture.

"For James, we have to look day by day," Ancelotti explained on Wednesday. "Unfortunately, he's not ready yet. It's taking a little bit longer, so I hope that for the next game [against Rotherham in the FA Cup], he will be ready," Ancelotti said.

Around 48 hours beforehand, the player himself had declared himself fit. "I'll play in a few days," James said whilst streaming on Twitch.

The contradiction between the Colombian and his coach has raised further questions over the midfielder's fitness.

For now, he will start 2021 as he finished 2020 - watching from the stands.

Our defence has become much stronger. It has gone from conceding at least a goal a game to constant clean sheets, other than one penalty. That is not average play at all. It shows a massive improvement in our defensive play. It's the type of defensive record that a title winning side has.
Yeah, Digne has been out and we play a different formation.

Strong defence is the basis for everything. Hate to use RS example but he went from most exciting team in the league to more conservative champions. Once is enough though.

Strong defence is the basis for everything. Hate to use RS example but he went from most exciting team in the league to more conservative champions. Once is enough though.

Look at this latest round of fixtures. Other than Leeds hammering of West Brom, they've all been low scoring games, with not a single side scoring more than two goals.

Our massive improvement in not allowing the opposition to score two goals per game is what has led to us being in the top four at the end of the year. I'm keen to keep it that way!

Our massive improvement in not allowing the opposition to score two goals per game is what has led to us being in the top four at the end of the year. I'm keen to keep it that way!
Does it have to be either/or though?
The premise of being strong in defence meaning you can’t play expansive , counter attacking football, is not wholly true. They are not mutually exclusive.
In the current set up you could easily fit James into the Siggy role, without much detrimental damage defensively but also give a far better threat in attack.
If we have ALL our first 11 on the field, then Digne will help create on the counter but still keep the same strength defensively.
With Allan and Doucs in the middle, Iwobi and Richarlison tracking back, I can see no reason why we can’t still be solid and keep a real threat with fast attacking in transition .
Risk and reward.
I’m loving the results and our current position and I do grasp your reservations but I, for one, would like us to try a wee bit more dynamic/sexy football.
Listen, if it didn’t work, I’m sure Don Carlo would soon change it.

James had played hardly any football before joining, so it was always going to be the case that after an intially burst, he might tire quickly or pick up an injury.
The team is playing effectively in his absence, and will utilise him when he is back to full fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.