2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe some of the absolute gash that's polluted this wonderful players thread - in what universe is James the problem with our side?!

He has been a solid performer for us, aside from the few games after st Virgil had tried to remove his knackers without anaesthesia, and even then he was putting a shift in and working his plums off (no pun intended), clearly injured.

He is the best passer in the team, and his footballing brain is on another level to the dross around him - he has created some absolute guilt edged chances for the puddings around him to bugger up, including in the final minutes of matches, so his fitness is getting better, but we want him tracking, chasing and picking up runners because that's whats wrong with his game?!?

Sake - really despair sometimes with bluenoses.

good article in Sporting Life - doesn't mention VVD's attack on his manhood though as the dividing line...

Perhaps if we have one player who can create a world class pass out of nothing , we can afford them not to be defensive?

We have another 10 players who can defend, which they are struggling at doing anyway.

So why make a huge deal about Rodriguez defensive role? We didn't sign him to defend, we signed him for his passes which he does beautifully.

I dread being back at Goodison. Hundreds of da’s screaming at James to track back. This is why we can’t have nice things.

It's scary how easily some people are easily swayed by a media narrative too.

I mean he is hardly Tony Hibbert from a defensive viewpoint but he does track back, he does put in tackles and he does offer an option deep in our own half. The way some of our fans are reacting you would think he was taking a nap in the centre circle whilst the opponent streams forward towards our goal.

We are crap currently because we don't put any pressure on opponents and seemingly let them shoot at will not because our only genuine world class player for the past 15 or so years isn't throwing tackles in.

He has been a solid performer for us, aside from the few games after st Virgil had tried to remove his knackers without anaesthesia, and even then he was putting a shift in and working his plums off (no pun intended), clearly injured

That foul left him with a deep hematoma in his thigh can take 10 to 20 weeks to fully recover. Of course that's worse case scenario, however, gives an indication of times scales involved with such injuries.

In a team full of players giving the ball away under zero pressure, james is the one player who on receiving the ball I feel genuinely confident he will find a blue shirt. He’s given it away a few times of late but nowhere near like the others do. I’d like to see his pass completion compared to others in the team and then take into account he’s also trying to create goals too.....

I can't believe some of the absolute gash that's polluted this wonderful players thread - in what universe is James the problem with our side?!

He has been a solid performer for us, aside from the few games after st Virgil had tried to remove his knackers without anaesthesia, and even then he was putting a shift in and working his plums off (no pun intended), clearly injured.

He is the best passer in the team, and his footballing brain is on another level to the dross around him - he has created some absolute guilt edged chances for the puddings around him to bugger up, including in the final minutes of matches, so his fitness is getting better, but we want him tracking, chasing and picking up runners because that's whats wrong with his game?!?

Sake - really despair sometimes with bluenoses.
Absolutely nailed it. Very well said indeed.

Ok so lets look at some stats, rather tha opinions or perceptions.

Tackles won per game this season;
James: 1.4
Salah: 0.6
Vardy: 0.5

Interceptions:
James: 0.9
Salah: 0
Vardy: 0

The reality is, that James is tackling back 2-3 times more than Vardy/Salah and is intercepting the ball infinitely more. Combined he's about 4-5 times the amount of tackles and intercepts than the above two players.

Yet nobody in their right mind would consider dropping Salah or Vardy, for their relatively (compared to James) poor defensive contribution. I would have no idea, why would would drop someone for lack of defensive contribution who does substantially more defensive work than other players with similar roles for other teams.

James's defensive contribution looks worse, because his attacking work is so good.
Stats are very deceptive, I always prefer using my eyes, they tell me more than stats. As an aside I would like to see out of 1000 neutral fans how many would pick James over Salah or Vardy. Who would you honestly choose?

Stats are very deceptive, I always prefer using my eyes, they tell me more than stats. As an aside I would like to see out of 1000 neutral fans how many would pick James over Salah or Vardy. Who would you honestly choose?

They are all brilliant players so hard to say on that one. I doubt Salah or Vardy would look as good as James in our team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.