2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the call up. We have a solid team team.

I expect

Muñoz mina Davinson Mojica

Cuadrado Barrios Lerma

James Duvan Muriel

Then

Cardona
Luis Diaz
Uribe

On the bench.

That's a good looking squad
@UptheTofees that's a handsome lineup, I like it! We sure have some good players, even on the bench. I have the feeling that Queiroz may take it easy on James specially if he is really not a 100%. Last year Colombia managed to win and tie a few games without him so we can certainly give him a break if necessary. Although playing against Uruguay is not going to be an easy task. My hope is that Colombia wins at least one of these qualifiying matches and I really hope that James stays healthy, has two great matches and comes back all pump up to lead Everton to a much needed triumph.

@UptheTofees that's a handsome lineup, I like it! We sure have some good players, even on the bench. I have the feeling that Queiroz may take it easy on James specially if he is really not a 100%. Last year Colombia managed to win and tie a few games without him so we can certainly give him a break if necessary. Although playing against Uruguay is not going to be an easy task. My hope is that Colombia wins at least one of these qualifiying matches and I really hope that James stays healthy, has two great matches and comes back all pump up to lead Everton to a much needed triumph.

As I mentioned above, consider starting a National team thread. This is getting off topic for the Everton forum.

The article shows loads of graphics going through how teams have exploited Hamez staying forward. Basically overloading that side, or switching play to that side as quick as possible. Then it gets to this conclusion:

That means that four goals in Rodriguez’s last three matches can be attributed to his positioning — and the opposition left-back going free on the outside.

The solution might be a change in system — The Athletic’s Everton reporter Paddy Boyland has suggested a move to a 4-2-3-1, with Rodriguez used centrally. But if anyone should be capable of devising a solution, it is Ancelotti. He had this precise problem at Real Madrid with Cristiano Ronaldo, who loved playing high and wide on the left flank, but didn’t contribute defensively. Ancelotti’s response was to devise something of a hybrid system, particularly for big games. This meant that Gareth Bale performed his defensive duties properly on the right flank, but Ronaldo’s work was covered by Angel Di Maria, nominally a left-centre midfielder in a three, drifting wide to cover for Ronaldo. Real were 4-3-3 in possession, but more like 4-4-2 without it, defending in two banks of four.

Whether that would work for Everton, though, is doubtful. It would require Richarlison becoming a fourth midfielder — when, really, it is Richarlison who deserves the Ronaldo-esque freedom to link up with Dominic Calvert-Lewin, as they did so fluently in the second half of last season.

Perhaps the best solution is not finding a solution, and hoping that Rodriguez’s attacking brilliance compensates for his defensive shortcomings. Right now, though, Everton’s biggest strength is also their biggest weakness.

The article shows loads of graphics going through how teams have exploited Hamez staying forward. Basically overloading that side, or switching play to that side as quick as possible. Then it gets to this conclusion:

Was talking to my lad about this the other day during the Man U game. Coleman was all over the gaff at times against Man U because every time it came down our right it was literally always two against one.

Was talking to my lad about this the other day during the Man U game. Coleman was all over the gaff at times against Man U because every time it came down our right it was literally always two against one.

It's gonna be a tricky one to solve. Clearly it's leaving Doucoure and Coleman all over the place trying to cover.

I think @UptheTofees' idea of putting him in Gomes' spot makes the most sense. Its not like Gomes or Statue Man have given us much defensively there anyway. Much harder to make a numbers advantage count through the middle. Should allow Hamez to get more of he ball and a better sight of goal, too.

Either way, if you're looking for anyone to solve a tactical problem it's Carlo. He'll get us right eventually.

It's gonna be a tricky one to solve. Clearly it's leaving Doucoure and Coleman all over the place trying to cover.

I think @UptheTofees' idea of putting him in Gomes' spot makes the most sense. Its not like Gomes or Statue Man have given us much defensively there anyway. Much harder to make a numbers advantage count through the middle. Should allow Hamez to get more of he ball and a better sight of goal, too.

Either way, if you're looking for anyone to solve a tactical problem it's Carlo. He'll get us right eventually.

lol

Can't say I disagree with Boyland there. I do think a switch in system long term would be the best case scenario, given we buy that quality RW that the side looks like it really needs now.

Can't say I disagree with Boyland there. I do think a switch in system long term would be the best case scenario, given we buy that quality RW that the side looks like it really needs now.

This is the issue.

As it stands, moving James inside means playing 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-3.

I'd love us to play a 3-4-3 and stick with it, though that does also require a high press and James isn't going to do that, so there's a lot of onus on Dom and Richarlison to hassle then.

4-2-3-1 gives James that freedom to an extent, but we just don't have the quality on the right. It would end up being Richarlison switching to that side, and we lose his impact from the left, or Iwobi playing there. Again, an example of the impact of the daft decision not to go and get an option in that could cover a few roles well.

With Richarlison back, I just can't see us changing from what worked early in the season.

Teams can't double up on James when we have Richarlison flying, we've proved that - even Liverpool didn't manage it.

The issue then becomes midfield. It unfortunately requires Doucoure to cover down the right, and that negates his impact going forward.

Really, the best person we have for that role is Allan. It allows him to get out and get about the pitch, rather than be that sitter.

There's a lot of calls for Godfrey to come in and then play that role of a sitter, and I'd like to see it, but realistically he was signed as a defender and given we're gonna have little time on the training pitch before the Fulham game, I can't see Carlo doing anything but sticking with what worked early on.

The question is Gomes/Gyfli. Against Fulham, I'd like to think we'd have enough to play Gomes and control the ball, but he's not played well. Gyfli should be nowhere near starting.

I think it's more important to get the best out of Allan defensively and Doucoure going forward, and it means both of them being freed up to get about the pitch.

Based on what I said about Godfrey, I wouldn't be surprised to see, if fit, Delph coming in and playing in there, like he did in the West Ham game - and I think that was Allan's best performance of the season up until his injury, as he was in his natural role of being able to get around the pitch.

Long-term, we have to hope it's Gbamin who can come in and play that sitting role, and then in January make sure we can go and get a player who can cover the right wing / up top to give us other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.