Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt give up on Emerson , Brands has a good relationship with Barca .
He'll be trying every angle to get that done.

Weird how his transfer was done.

On 31 January 2019, Atlético announced the transfer of Emerson to FC Barcelona, effective as of July 2019, for 12.7 million.The deal consisted of a joint financial operation between Barcelona and fellow La Liga side Real Betis, in which each club paid half of the transfer fee and retained a percentage of Emerson's economic rights. He was to become a Betis player in July 2019, with Barcelona holding the option of reacquiring him for 6 million in 2021.He initially joined Betis on loan from Atlético for the remainder of the 2018–19 season, during which period he made seven appearances for the club.

I think the deal that is being done and quoted is vert good, a £5M loan fee for the season plus just over £4M wages for the season, still a risk of injury but the money is not massive, if he does well we’ll have first bite at signing him permentely plus Carlo’s influence which is the main reason he is coming now.

I would agree. If he does well, he will stay here. At 30 he wont want to be risking another move away- he likes Ancelotti and will be settled.

I think if he does well any of the top 4 here would be all over him. But hey, would he choose them over ancelotti?

I'm really not sure about that. He would be 30. Everton could easily strike a deal wth him well before the January, and as you say I suspect he will want to play with Ancelotti.

If it all comes to pass i'm really excited. Its the first time i remember in a long time the squad will be close to balanced with most positions not short. That and really exciting youngsters in Kean, Gordon and Brathwaite. I also think Carlo - like Leicester last season - with is tactical nous will turn a lot of one point games into wins.

Think we can have a fair swing at Europe, our target has to be finishing ahead of Leicester and Wolves.

Yes I agree with all of that. It's often missed what a young squd it is. You have the 3 mentioned above, but also the likes of Ellis Simms who are loosely involved below them. You also have Lewis Gibson who may get opportunties. Just above them you have Holgate, Calvert Lewin, Richarlinson and to a degree Mina who are still of an age where more improvement is quite possible.

The other point in all of this, is that under Ancelotti and post Silva we average around 58-60 points across a whole season. Thats with all the good and the bad. Thats with pitifiul displays at Spurs and Chelsea, or at home to Bournemouth, Villa and Southampton. That squad, under his guidance were still, broadly speaking competitive for top 6. If we add the right players I do expect us to be in the mix. It won't always be pretty, there will be a lot of games where we gring out draws or low scoring wins, sitting deep, but I think we will be quite effective.

There are pros and cons with both a loan and a 3 year deal.

Loan

Pro - We get to test it out, have his quality and if his injuries are a big enough issue there is no long commitment.
Con - In a years time if things go well we are leaving ourselves open in the sharkpool for a CL club to come in.

3 year deal

Pro - He's tied up for 3 years and can use his quality
Con - How bad will his injuries be?

There are FAIR arguments for and against both. Either will be good in my eyes, a loan with a contract in place if he plays x amount of games would be ideal but doubt that's even legal.

All true. I would urr towards a loan, but if it's a 3 year deal then so be it.

Big ask for 5th but we can dream. I think top half and then keep adding quality additions each pre seasonmay get us rising up the table and competing in cup competition. I want an Everton team which has quality and gives the top teams a hard time

I don't really look at the sides outside the top 4 and look too worried. Wolves end of season will hit them, they've also lost a key cog in Doherty. Leicester have been poor in 2020 and seem to have found a level. Spurs under Mourinho can go either way. Arsenal have momentum and have recruited well, but there will be some bedding in period for their defenders. I don't look at the business of lots of teams, and think they're going to improve massively beyondus, if we can sort the midfield out.

Status
Not open for further replies.