Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is one of those players that will improve the whole team. He is the threat we don't have, even if he stinks the place out for 89 mins, he is capable of making one chance count. He will give others room and his link up play is excellent. Amazing this is even a possibility.

I know he was quality in that World Cup and he's done good things at various clubs over the years, but I can't help but think an expensive player who hasn't hit the same heights for a number of years and on a downward spiral in his career is not really what we are looking for.

The people saying if he's half as good as he was in 2014, he'd waltz in to this team are possibly the same ones saying 'pay Sandro what he wants' before he came in.

Everton need to build a younger side that can progress year on year, not fill it with expensive signings that are here just for the money. We've tried that since Moshiri came in and look where it's ended up.

And for those saying it's Carlo's choice, it's been well documented that Rodriguez is Moshiri's favourite player and we have been linked with him ever since he bought the club, so despite Carlo having managed him previous, I'd say it's a Moshiri signing rather than a Carlo one.
No one builds sides anymore Kind Sir... No one is afforded the time to build sides especially at a club like Everton. Also we've got a young side,good quality experience is what we lack,but is also what I think we're looking to sign.

But Bayern can go and sign Sane in the summer to replace him. We can't get anywhere near that quality. Like, if you're European champions you don't need to be scraping anyones begging bowl for players.

Irrelevant. There are more than enough quality young players to go around once the top CL teams have had their fill; and EFC have more than enough financial resource also not to be scraping begging bowls.

It's a mad world if RB Leipzig, Lille, Lyon and Leicester can do it (all in different ways), but Everton for some reason continually have to sign ageing and/or substandard players to do it.

Irrelevant. There are more than enough quality young players to go around once the top CL teams have had their fill; and EFC have more than enough financial resource also not to be scraping begging bowls.

It's a mad world if RB Leipzig, Lille, Lyon and Leicester can do it (all in different ways), but Everton for some reason continually have to sign ageing and/or substandard players to do it.

We signed Kean and within 3 months he is being hounded out with torches and pitchforks for not being good enough might have something to do with it.

Are there enoigh quality young players to go around though? To a club not in Europe, who has finished 12th? I think we are finding there is not.

The other point I'd take issue with, is that James is substandard. I don't buy that at all. He might not be good enough for the best team in Europe currently, and he may well be on the decline, but relative to our midfield he's anything but substandard. In our last 2 games we've got given the run around by Bournemouth, and scraped a draw at Blackpool.

People can justifiably question whether he'll actually sign or it's the best transfer, but in simple terms I would consider this question:

Would you rather start with Rodriguez, Iwobi or Walcott on the right? Answers on a post card, please.

Theo for me if hes up to full fitness

We are equally deluded if we dont acknowledge that we need quality immediately. Lets not rewrite history either, a lot of us were complaining about spending 50 mill on Richy at the time. He was seen as a gamble at that price. Bayern have everything in place to manage both those aspects though and constantly have that blend of proven quality and potential in youth.

We are devoid of any leadership on the pitch, with very few genuine quality players. Theres a lot of young potential but also a lot of average so so players on big wages who have never achieved much in professional football. James Rodriguez at 29, raring to go on a 25mill transfer fee is a snip. Exactly the type of signing we need imo.

Precisely -- it's not just about the money; it's about the money, the age, the potential, and the current quality. Richy had enough of those elements on his side to make it a sensible risk. Sigurdsson, Tosun, Walcott, Niasse etc. etc. didn't and don't. James at £25m+ is another one in the latter category because of his age and injury record. Even if we got one stellar season out of him, it's not enough to forego the opportunity of signing the next Richarlison.

Status
Not open for further replies.