2017/18 James McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against bournemouh he literally came from nowhere and was in the team. Didn't do well but how long has he been out for, Sam stuck him on yesterday as the 2nd half was unfolding because we'd lost the park, they where waltzing through us with no reply. He came on like one of the magnificent seven battering cajoling flumoxing overpowering the opposition, doesn't get bullied of the ball either. What I'd give for a fully fit , fully confident Mccarthy patrolling that midfield, on his day he can be a special player ;)

he's not, and using a game and 20 mins a sample isn't even close to being conclusive
Understand your point totally but I think he could be so much better than most off us can hope. Sometimes I just dream and I've seen enough to believe he could, under the right manager be pivotal to us.

The lads got stuff in his locker ( hopefully not a signed photo of Martin O'Neil and Roy Keane) or we're screwed.

But there is a very decent player in there that with some help could do a much better job than what we all know we've seen over the last 2 weeks

Understand your point totally but I think he could be so much better than most off us can hope. Sometimes I just dream and I've seen enough to believe he could, under the right manager be pivotal to us.

The lads got stuff in his locker ( hopefully not a signed photo of Martin O'Neil and Roy Keane) or we're screwed.

But there is a very decent player in there that with some help could do a much better job than what we all know we've seen over the last 2 weeks

Not him I'm poking at but a certain French cheese eating surrender monkey x

At his peak he can be so effective but if unfit he’s awful, the difference between him v Bournemouth and then United was huge. Allardyce clearly likes him and if he can keep the fraud Schneiderlin out of the team I’m all for it.

Once or twice a year against a good side he looks really good because we don’t actually ask him to do anything other than run round kicking people, but then we’ll play a game where we want him to do a bit more and he’ll be shown up for the limited passenger that he is.

I've made the point before but the lad was playing for months with pain killing injections under Martinez. He litteraly ran himself into the ground for the club. It's no surprise his body broke in two. Annoys me no end when people slate him for trying to play for Ireland with an injury while doing the same thing for Everton for months.

Can you imagine the likes of Mirrallas doing the same.

He’s just turned 27 mate, he’s coming into his prime years. His injury problems are of Everton making. He also hasn’t had a consistent coach since he has been here that hasn’t helped him.

I think we will see him progress under Allerdyce.

He is a quality player, every single manager has started him when fit.
He's 27 and how many games has he played in the last 3 years?

He'll play the next fixture for the ROI, no doubt about it. The question is will he play the Everton fixture immediately afterwards? History says not.

All Everton's fault though, I assume that you are Irish.

He's 27 and how many games has he played in the last 3 years?

He'll play the next fixture for the ROI, no doubt about it. The question is will he play the Everton fixture immediately afterwards? History says not.

All Everton's fault though, I assume that you are Irish.
All you had to say is I think he's injury prone mate.

Yes I am and the ROI are culpable in this as well, I think it goes back beyond that saga though to be honest back to Martinez time.

His injury was poorly managed by both Everton and Ireland, it's the lad I feel sorry for, because he's a player.

His injury problems are of Everton making.

All you had to say is I think he's injury prone mate.

Yes I am and the ROI are culpable in this as well, I think it goes back beyond that saga though to be honest back to Martinez time.

His injury was poorly managed by both Everton and Ireland, it's the lad I feel sorry for, because he's a player.

I said he was injury prone (I used the term "shot" I believe) in response to your post earlier. I made the assumption about your national team allegiances based on the top quote above because I can't see any other explanation than the one you alluded to in your more measured assessment in the second quote that there are three factors - the player's proclivity to injury, being played when unfit by his national team manager and poor recovery management at Everton.

For me it's Everton first, national team second.

Can’t wait for McCarthy to be fully fit, him and Gana have the potential to be part of the solid midfield we need and McCarthy certainty has the qualities to do so, he runs his socks off and loves a tackle, many people were scared to tackle Pogba. McCarthy came on and as soon as a lose ball was there to be won he flew in at Pogba with a great tackle and gave the crowd a lift which improved the atmosphere as he showed the passion we need with all the players to improve our atmosphere as it’s gone stale recently

I said he was injury prone (I used the term "shot" I believe) in response to your post earlier. I made the assumption about your national team allegiances based on the top quote above because I can't see any other explanation than the one you alluded to in your more measured assessment in the second quote that there are three factors - the player's proclivity to injury, being played when unfit by his national team manager and poor recovery management at Everton.

For me it's Everton first, national team second.

I’m not sure he’s been particularly injury prone up to this point, but I think that was your general point. The greatest shame is the chunk of the lads career that went missing due to poor management largely by Everton but he should never have picked by Ireland either in the same context. I can’t say I disagree with you broadly if your not fit for your club, you shouldn’t be for country either.

Have to say regardless of Ireland or Everton and I’m quite fond of both but I think he was let down by both, really it’s the lad himself who’s been let down here and thats where I think concern in this should really lie and the lads welfare if I’m being frank with you.

All in he’s a terrific little player, I’ve been following him since he was 16, so I have a an admitted soft spot and likely biased interest in Jimmy.

Last edited:
He's still crap on the ball but what he does, he does well. Would defo consider starting him on Friday just so we actually have some intent to win the ball beyond our own 18 yard line.

Status
Not open for further replies.