James McCarthy - Signed on deadline day for reported £13m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite three consecutive league games providing plentiful evidence to the contrary? Tell me, how many times have you seen Osman or Barkley coming back to get the ball from Jags and Distin?

We're done here buddy. You're just making things up to suit your own argument.
It's late, and therefore I may be unaware it's a rhetorical question, but Osman has been showing deep for the ball this season.

Well you better get prepared with bottom four bob at the helm.

131648348161.gif

Dec 12th 2012: ROBERTO MARTINEZ insists Wigan sensation James McCarthy is only getting started.

The Republic of Ireland star has been outstanding during the Latics’ solid opening to the campaign.

Now in his fourth season at Wigan, McCarthy has earned rave reviews and pundit Gary Neville was the latest to drool about the midfield marauder this week.

Although he’s just turned 22, McCarthy – who made his Hamilton debut at 15 – is set for an incredible 210th club appearance when he squares up with QPR today.

He was linked with Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in 2011 before penning a new five-year contract at the DW Stadium – the only relegation-proof contract in the squad.

Boss Martinez said: “It’s a big compliment to have reached the level he has at this age.

“But I guarantee you he has another two steps to go and to fulfil that potential will be very exciting.

“There aren’t many midfielders who are as complete. The maturity and composure he has on the pitch is rare.”

http://balls.ie/football/wigan-and-ireland-midfielder-james-mccarthy-speaks-to-balls-ie-2/

How big an impact do you feel Roberto Martinez has had on your career? McCarthy: He’s been brilliant. He’s brought me on so much especially since I was a kid. When moving down at first, I was so homesick. Trying to move away from home and everyone was really tough and then it took me six months to get into the first team. I broke down in training after two weeks or something. I tore my thigh and that took a while to get fully recovered. It was just a waiting game really. He wanted to embed me in nice and slowly and when I got my chance I got in and stayed in the team until the end of the season which was brilliant. My passing, reading of the game: he’s improved all aspects of my game.

http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3975...martinezs-genius-tactics-won-wigan-the-fa-cup

McCarthy, who started the final and has been ever-present for Wigan in the league this season, was effusive in his praise of Martinez, proclaiming it an "honour" to even work with the Spaniard.

"I think the gaffer is a tactical genius; he's brilliant. I've been here for a couple of years and I've learned so much underneath him," he told ESPN.

"It's a real honour to work underneath him. Really, it's down to his tactics that we came away with the cup."

Good to have you here Mr Whelan. Something I always wanted to ask you pal, just how did you get that limp?

Its all that money in my back pocket, doesn't half give me grief when I carry round anything more than 10k in cash, and carrying that FA cup thing around all over the place doesn't help either, but thanks for your concern.

http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3975...martinezs-genius-tactics-won-wigan-the-fa-cup

McCarthy, who started the final and has been ever-present for Wigan in the league this season, was effusive in his praise of Martinez, proclaiming it an "honour" to even work with the Spaniard.

"I think the gaffer is a tactical genius; he's brilliant. I've been here for a couple of years and I've learned so much underneath him," he told ESPN.

"It's a real honour to work underneath him. Really, it's down to his tactics that we came away with the cup."

Tactical genius.....he got them relegated. I'm a supporter of what he's trying to do but that's extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.