2023/24 James Garner

You've got it all wrong, Dyche won all 48 points, the players just happened to be there, watching in awe. He won the points despite the players, that's the dominant narrative and you've got to get on the program or you've got something wrong with your brain. Or something.

Both can be true. Dyche has based our set up about being difficult to beat (we have a really good couple of centre backs and a good keeper), being direct (we don't have a lot of creativity to work the ball through midfield and we have two or three big strikers) and being good from set pieces (we have a number of players who are good in the air and at least one player who can deliver a good set piece). We have strengths, definitely, and the manager has worked to emphasise them. We also have glaring weaknesses but, perhaps smartly, the manager has set us up in a way that they aren't exposed too much. I'd maintain that if you want a more aesthetically pleasing style of play whilst also getting results, you need more technical players and pace. In the meantime, like any good pragmatist, the current manager has set us up to get the most out of the squad he has (which, to be clear, does have some clear attributes in it, just not the ones that make sexy football)

Both can be true. Dyche has based our set up about being difficult to beat (we have a really good couple of centre backs and a good keeper), being direct (we don't have a lot of creativity to work the ball through midfield and we have two or three big strikers) and being good from set pieces (we have a number of players who are good in the air and at least one player who can deliver a good set piece). We have strengths, definitely, and the manager has worked to emphasise them. We also have glaring weaknesses but, perhaps smartly, the manager has set us up in a way that they aren't exposed too much. I'd maintain that if you want a more aesthetically pleasing style of play whilst also getting results, you need more technical players and pace. In the meantime, like any good pragmatist, the current manager has set us up to get the most out of the squad he has (which, to be clear, does have some clear attributes in it, just not the ones that make sexy football)
Honestly mate, I just want to enjoy watching the football. I haven't enjoyed watching Everton for years.

Anonymous today. Really poor from Dyche to play someone out of position when it simply isn't required.

Offers nothing on that right hand side.
I don't think Dyche had much choice really. The only other player fit who plays right mid was Dobbin. Garner was probably told to give Seamus help and trackback rather than bomb forward.

Honestly mate, I just want to enjoy watching the football. I haven't enjoyed watching Everton for years.
It’s gone up a level the last few weeks for me. I was indifferent for most of the last few seasons but recently it’s actually making me a bit angry watching the aimlessness of everything they do with the ball. It’s one thing to talk about playing a bit ugly to find ways to win, I fully get that, but we don’t even win that much.

The manager has made a choice to take the team toward that style of playing. It’s not all about what he inherited anymore, and even when that was a better excuse it was still a choice that a manager capable of more would not necessarily have to make. Onana, Garner and Gana are the makings of a more than competent midfield that can actually control and win games at times if placed in a situation and setup that might allow them to.

I think he was amongst our best few players before Christmas but dropped off quite a lot since then. I tipped him right at the start of being in with a shot at player of the season and think he's done quite well on the whole. Onwards and upwards next season James, work hard on your set pieces and shooting over the summer please.

Totally. It's obvious. It's 'hand-brake Dyche' all over. Anything but let loose and try something 'new'..
Some people will say it doesn't matter or even that we should have for that reason but I think putting out a clearly experimental team in a game that could decide the title would have been very disrespectful and invited a lot of criticism at a time when the club probably just wants to keep its head down so sticking with the same team was fine.