2023/24 James Garner

I think he played within himself this season.

He's a better player than what we've seen. Not sure whether he's been playing with an injury, lacking confidence or Dyche isn't conducive for him.

Think fitness/confidence - he doesn't make himself available/look for the ball as often as he should for a player with his ability.

Thing is, the way we play, only defensive players have the opportunity to shine. How would an attacking player manage to stand out in this side?
TBH many state Onana to be a quality DM but hes hardly shone either. Maybe if we acquired some proper attacking players rather than functional workmanlike players they would stand out for their attacking quality. What decent attacking players do we really have?

Has probably the most accurare shots out of the CM we have. Need to see more from him. Should be getting into his prime now.

Has probably the most accurare shots out of the CM we have. Need to see more from him. Should be getting into his prime now.
Yeah but he doesnt score. Hes a lot of effort but not much end product for me. Not hammering him but i just find him a bit meh.

Thing is, the way we play, only defensive players have the opportunity to shine. How would an attacking player manage to stand out in this side?
He could try shooting or putting a ball into the area instead of turning back every time.

He has got it in him which makes it even more annoying.

He is decent enough.

His attempts tend to be closer than the others. Not a high bar!
I was just replying to someone else i dont expect him to suddenly be a goalscoring attacking midfielder mate. My point was i think hes just a plodder and we need better quality if we are to progress. With no money to spend he will do for now but i just find him average.

The way we play doesn't really suit ball playing midfielders. Mainly we are looking to do one of two things, either I) keep the ball side to side at the back before turning defences with long balls into the channel; or ii) bypass the midfield with aerial balls into Dom and win the seconds.

Players like Garner, Onana (even Chermitti, who wants to get involved in the build up with the ball to feet) I think would look better in a team that looks to build up through the thirds with shorter passing, one twos, round the corners and so on.

I think he played within himself this season.

He's a better player than what we've seen. Not sure whether he's been playing with an injury, lacking confidence or Dyche isn't conducive for him.

Think fitness/confidence - he doesn't make himself available/look for the ball as often as he should for a player with his ability.
I think he had to curtail his game to suit the gameplan.

I also think that after Christmas he looked jaded and needed a break but couldn't get it because we had no one else to play there.

I think he had to curtail his game to suit the gameplan.

I also think that after Christmas he looked jaded and needed a break but couldn't get it because we had no one else to play there.
Happened to a lot of players, McNeil, Harrison, Garner have all been played way too much and their games have suffered.

Which is why its madness when people suggest we should enter next season with only 20 players.