2023/24 James Garner

I'm more than happy to email the players privately to air my criticism of a performance if booing is too much for them to take.

Maybe each player should have their own email address that is public to the fans so we can send emails offering constructive criticism if a boo is a tad harsh on them.

Or maybe just an automated boo email could be sent so the boo is more directed at players who have had a really bad game compared to someone else.
Maybe get a small placard with boo on it that you can hold up if not satisfied. You could sing at the same time if so.

I'm more than happy to email the players privately to air my criticism of a performance if booing is too much for them to take.

Maybe each player should have their own email address that is public to the fans so we can send emails offering constructive criticism if a boo is a tad harsh on them.

Or maybe just an automated boo email could be sent so the boo is more directed at players who have had a really bad game compared to someone else.
Tablets on the seats (which are definitely not gonna be thrown at players trust me) with smileyfaces from green to red, like in IKEA.

People complaining about him not passing forwards enough, well according to this it's only him and McNeil who are creating anything worthwhile. Dyche really needs to sort this out somehow and soon.

The best thing he brought to the team when he come in was passing forward. To have a centre midfielder who actually looked to progress the ball.

I think he's doing it less at the moment - coinciding IMO with a fall in form.

The thing is though, the lack of pace in wide areas kills us. If we had attacking full backs, or pace on the wings he'd have more opportunity to pass forward.

We'd miss him if he wasn't there.

The best thing he brought to the team when he come in was passing forward. To have a centre midfielder who actually looked to progress the ball.

I think he's doing it less at the moment - coinciding IMO with a fall in form.

The thing is though, the lack of pace in wide areas kills us. If we had attacking full backs, or pace on the wings he'd have more opportunity to pass forward.

We'd miss him if he wasn't there.
We hoof all game, nullifying any passing ability anyone has.

Lack of pace isn't what kills us, we don't utilise width at all and don't play attacking full backs, so there's no one to pass to anyway.

Agreed though, we need either him or (current squad availability, sadly) Gomes to be available as we have no one to even try a progressive pass otherwise and it will be even uglier.

The extensive media training the professionals receive from academy level and long before they turn professional is so they can handle those inevitable situations.

Professional footballers will be constantly assessed and criticised. All they can control is their response.

No, clearly not. They have social media and constant press events.

The only tosh comments mate is yours, calling me and others paying any attention to manager and player comments as "clowns".

Get off the too cool for school pedestal. You post on an internet forum.

I disagree.

His comments were unhelpful - you can continue to provide endless excuses and reasons as to why he made them but the point remains - fans criticising players is unhelpful. players criticising fans is unhelpful.

One I understand more than the other - it's not about picking sides.

I rate the player highly as post history will show, I'm just not blinkered.

I had the exact same view towards Calvert-Lewin and as many will likely tell you, I'm probably his biggest advocate on here.
You can list all the training you want, secondary training by the way, not their priority. You are still talking about a 22 year old who has just ran 13k and underperformed in a relegation battle and got slaughtered by 38,000 for 90 mins. What was it he said, 'It's tough to perform being booed', hardly a hanging offence and hardly a call out to the fans.

You overestimate the media training aspect in these particular circumstances and have far too high of an expectation on players post match, they are at their worst at this moment and understandably so.

Yes I do post on a forum, that is the medium it is being discussed, I don't believe myself 'too cool' for anything inparticular, I'm a grown man who plays video games and reads comic books! It was in response to your attack of 'well here you are talking about it', yes talking about it because I believe the reaction to his comments warrents response, if commenting invalidates critique then you are invalidating all critique that has ever existed. I absolutely believe that anyone getting upset about comments made immediately after a match is being quite silly, I've probably been guilty of it myself.

You've excused one and condemned the other, that is picking a side, own it.

DCL probably would have been better off not talking, but again, I don't see the problem, the fans at villa booing a lad for breaking a cheekbone were also daft. I don't think they should judged by that long term anymore than he is.

I think team pace and coaching are to blame for James being singled out a bit here.

When we pass it across the back 4 there should be 2 forms of outlet, a long diagonal stretching the opponents or a set of triangular shapes setup by the midfield to allow us to play through the press/midfield 4 or to pull the midfield 4 out of position. This then creates the space for a Def/DM to run into while the CM progress up the pitch ready to break down the next defensive bank.

The coaching isn't being done for the attacking. Instead they are keeping a defensive shape in case they lose the ball.

This then places greater pressure on the midfield as they have less movement up front to aim at leading to backwards and sidewards play.

So while I think James is not as creative as I would like, he very much brings something to this squad. But the same can be said right across the pitch. We could improve every single player if we had the money, not many teams couldn't but we need a tweak in coaching to see more from James.

Much of that is to do with his one footedness which doesn't half slow attacks down at times and he is easily brushed off the ball because of it.
He's a 15-20 mill winger, in the modern era he is pretty much what you get for that.

I see him as an asset in the current set up. We ask an awful lot of the wingers with very little support from the full backs

I think team pace and coaching are to blame for James being singled out a bit here.

When we pass it across the back 4 there should be 2 forms of outlet, a long diagonal stretching the opponents or a set of triangular shapes setup by the midfield to allow us to play through the press/midfield 4 or to pull the midfield 4 out of position. This then creates the space for a Def/DM to run into while the CM progress up the pitch ready to break down the next defensive bank.

The coaching isn't being done for the attacking. Instead they are keeping a defensive shape in case they lose the ball.

This then places greater pressure on the midfield as they have less movement up front to aim at leading to backwards and sidewards play.

So while I think James is not as creative as I would like, he very much brings something to this squad. But the same can be said right across the pitch. We could improve every single player if we had the money, not many teams couldn't but we need a tweak in coaching to see more from James.
Another table here shows the amount of defensive work he is doing, that for me was never his game. He can do it but when I first used to watch him on loan at Forest he played a bit further forward and he was the guy that was moving the ball about and starting the attacks.

Yes I do post on a forum, that is the medium it is being discussed, I don't believe myself 'too cool' for anything inparticular, I'm a grown man who plays video games and reads comic books! It was in response to your attack of 'well here you are talking about it', yes talking about it because I believe the reaction to his comments warrents response, if commenting invalidates critique then you are invalidating all critique that has ever existed. I absolutely believe that anyone getting upset about comments made immediately after a match is being quite silly, I've probably been guilty of it myself.

lol Attack.

Here's you calling me and others a clown for discussing post match comments

So you understand a human reaction from a fan but not a player, a pretty one sided view.

Anyone streesing about what players or managers say post match is a complete clown.

Southall literally had a hissy fit on the pitch at half time.

... and this, my response - is apparently an "attack"

Why bother posting on a forum if anything players or managers say doesn't matter?

Arent you posting here about the comments making you such a clown?

'Attack'.

Behave.

You continually fabricate and claim untruths.

DCL probably would have been better off not talking,

... so after all that, you agree players criticising fans is unhelpful/unwise. Got there in the end.