2022/23 James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see him as a similar type, sitting between defence and midfield as a metronome.

Alternatively he's also shown at Forest (4goals, 8assists) he can play as a CM. Takes a good set piece as well.

As ive said since we were linked, hes a good all rounder and like Roy Keane says when asked what role he had in midfield...hes simply a midfielder.

Just following on from the above. Both Lampard and now Dyche keep changing Onana's role. Theyve said theyre doing that to improve his all round game.

He's clearly more of a DM. The stats back that up in terms of his performances and attributes.

He's quite literally on paper the ideal player to sit as an anchor or as a double pivot with Garner.

We just need to see this which is why its such a pity we have Dyche as manager rather than someone who likes to pass through midfield.

When we have Gana in the team then we need someone who can hold a position defensively as Gana can be a headless chicken pressing machine.

Thats the issue with playing Gana. So with Garner he's either got to have that role or Onana needs to be used instead of Garner.

If Garner does go forward theres also a reliance on Gana to hold position which isnt ideal.

Exactly.

I think if we stay up and manage to hold onto Branthwaite, Patterson, Garner, Onana and McNeil then theres a lot to be excited about with 50% of our outfield being u23.

Get in an attacking midfielder to complement Onana and Garner and we could really be im business.
A New manager that utilizes and develops youth players would be helpful as well , obviously not di zerbi because he is unattainable but someone of a similar mold

I've noticed in the second half for most games he started , he has a tendency for his influence to fade but I don't think its due to stamina , almost seems like he's following instructions to fall back further but that's just my interpretation

He went a bit awol in the 2nd half. Agree. He needs regular games.

Yeh he is meant to be, just can't remember him taking any for us.

He hasn’t. The couple times he’s been over the ball McNeil and Gana (why?) have taken them.

I’ve said it before but he’s one of the signings I was most excited about. Has a wand of a right foot and excellent work rate. Can play box to box or more of an advance role IMO. And can pick a pass and a whip in crosses

You have to play to strengths. Gana and Doucoure are there to stop attacks - win the ball and give it to Garner who is a proper midfielder looking to take people on or play forward passes. Iwobi has to play as a 10 behind DCL. He's a liability any deeper. McNeil and hopefully Seamus as wing backs with Miko Tarks and perm any 1 from Keane/Mina/Coady at the back. Gray to come on after 70 for whoever is tiring. Looks like our best 11. That seems to be what Dyche stumbled upon at last yesterday and we played much better. In fairness Sean hasn't really always had the players available. I'm confident we can get results with this team.

You have to play to strengths. Gana and Doucoure are there to stop attacks - win the ball and give it to Garner who is a proper midfielder looking to take people on or play forward passes. Iwobi has to play as a 10 behind DCL. He's a liability any deeper. McNeil and hopefully Seamus as wing backs with Miko Tarks and perm any 1 from Keane/Mina/Coady at the back. Gray to come on after 70 for whoever is tiring. Looks like our best 11. That seems to be what Dyche stumbled upon at last yesterday and we played much better. In fairness Sean hasn't really always had the players available. I'm confident we can get results with this team.
Not nearly enough for me.

I like him. I think he'll be a really decent PL midfielder, but I think he needed to be a bit bolder with the ball at his feet last night. He had space open up in front of him a few times and he should have been driving into it making the opposition answer questions.

Yes, he looks for a forward pass, he doesn't hide and he presents for the ball and he's combative. That's great.

But we could do with seeing him carry the ball a lot more. If he adds that to his game he's going to be some player.

Not nearly enough for me.

I like him. I think he'll be a really decent PL midfielder, but I think he needed to be a bit bolder with the ball at his feet last night. He had space open up in front of him a few times and he should have been driving into it making the opposition answer questions.

Yes, he looks for a forward pass, he doesn't hide and he presents for the ball and he's combative. That's great.

But we could do with seeing him carry the ball a lot more. If he adds that to his game he's going to be some player.
Wasn't that his first PL start? Lad needs a break. He was so much better than any other middle of midfielder I've seen all year.

We’ll never get to see it but Garner and Onana would compliment each other well with a good attacking/creative midfielder playing with them in a three.

For his first start thought he was solid without anything truly spectacular. Shame he missed so much of the season not really seen enough of him.

He played well yesterday but not fully fit for 90 minutes yet. It would have been beneficial to put Onana on with 20 left. That been said for 70 minutes he was one of our best players

Status
Not open for further replies.