Jack Rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw him with his Bird in Jamies italian in town. Did not want to disturb him while he was eating so decided that I would wait till he went the bog.

Totally mistimed it and it got to the bog just as he was having a wee. Felt wrong to approach him at that point.

So I did not get to speak to him. Ah well.

Anyone remember him having a single good game or doing anything of note (aside from that dodgy red card)? Nope, me neither.
I recall he was hailed as the next superstar by Sky amongst others.
As if to emphasise the point they gave him motm against Manure after coming on late in the game. I think he scored the third but that was as good as it got for the kid.

I recall he was hailed as the next superstar by Sky amongst others.
As if to emphasise the point they gave him motm against Manure after coming on late in the game. I think he scored the third but that was as good as it got for the kid.
The game Bily score that screamer in the park end out of nowhere...

i think the problem for him was no one knew what to do with him,

he scored a few screamers so moyes tried him out as the next gerrard but just frustrated by having every shot blocked

tried holding midfield but couldnt really tackle or intercept so he was just sort of there playing sideways passes and trying long shots that never came off

Once heard a tale that Chelsea expressed a strong interest in him as a youngster, to the extent of sending a helicopter to Birkdale to collect him.

Rodwell was never a Premier League player. We are the one club above all others that give young players a chance regardless of whether they are Premier League quality or not. When they move on they are never heard of again. They get a chance here for three reasons: our squad has always been thin so needs must, prior to the last two years we haven't spent much money so (again) needs must, we are often in mid table so have nothing to lose.

Chelsea are the complete opposite in that they do have Premier League quality players that they don't give a chance (reasons: big squad, plenty of money for big signings, always in decisive games so can't risk hopefuls), they're moved on and then shine at another PL club.

If a player has one good game here, is young and English, and it's a high profile game, he could well be elevated to a status that far outweighs his ability. Happened to Rodwell. Made that one run and had a shot that went in, the media jumps on it. Had Man City not went through that crazy period throwing money at anything that moved then the Rodwell fiasco wouldn't have happened (although they did fork out 50m for Stones). Rodwell would have stayed with us, then moved to Barnsley or a lower Championship team and that would be that.

Sunderland are the biggest idiots in this. Assuming because Man City signed him then he must have something. Crazy. They should have taken him on loan first, found out that he's gash before wasting all that money on him. Don't blame Rodwell one iota for staying for the money. He won't ever see a wage like that again.

A luckier footballer than Rodwell doesn't exist. Far more talented players in the lower leagues will never sniff what he's getting.

I think the hype came from him dominating at youth level for club and country. He was hailed as the next Rio. Always assumed Moyes was playing him in midfield for experience and then he'd move into defence to become some classy centre half. Couldn't have been more wrong.

i think the problem for him was no one knew what to do with him,

he scored a few screamers so moyes tried him out as the next gerrard but just frustrated by having every shot blocked

tried holding midfield but couldnt really tackle or intercept so he was just sort of there playing sideways passes and trying long shots that never came off

Moyes ruined Rodwell by not giving him a position and hanging him out to dry in positions it was obvious he was never capable of playing. He had him play Right Wing at 1 point, as he did with lots of players who weren't right wingers, or even wingers... or even midfielders for that matter.

He also forced him to alter his natural positive approach to games, as he did with lots of players. He started out, as you rightly say, shooting from long range, scoring a few screamers in the process, and making surging runs from midfield, ala his goal against Utd, both qualities Moyes frowned upon. After scoring a late, long range winner against Birmingham one year, Lee Carsley stated in his interview that he was pleased it went in as Moyes had told him to stop shooting from long range, something I'm sure wasn't restricted to Carsley.

After very visibly becoming more Conservative, and choosing the safe, sideways pass after being made an example of on numerous occasions, Rodwell no longer showed any of the qualities that had initially made him stand out, and instead, became just another "sitter" like Neville.

After joining City, he actually got a bit of that back, scoring some quality goals, but he found it hard to dislodge Toure in the City midfield, as you can imagine, and combined with some niggling injuries, which were rooted in playing when he shouldn't have for us in years previous, as was the case with a lot of our younger players, he became surpluses to requirements as City continued to strengthen and improve.

Sunderland was the wrong move for him, and I always felt he should have come back here and tried to convert to the Centre Half he was initially earmarked to be. Him and Stones could've made quite the partnership, both being comfortable ball playing defenders, both physically imposing, athletic and quick.

Its sad that he is reduced to this now, but as someone stated earlier in the week, it surprises me that more players don't have similar experiences. They get so much so quickly, and the motivation to play must be very hard to ignite, especially when playing poorly for a poor team. It takes a certain kind of mentality to become a top player, regardless of ability, which is why it's not always the best or most talented players that succeed, rather those that knuckle down and have a single minded stubborness to always play and improve.

Just in case anyone is interested.
Danny Cadamartari will be talking on radio 5 live in a mo.
A player who has, for me, dropped the leagues and had a decent career.
Arguably has a bit of a legacy at Everton with a derby goal too.

Worth a listen IMO.

Just in case anyone is interested.
Danny Cadamartari will be talking on radio 5 live in a mo.
A player who has, for me, dropped the leagues and had a decent career.
Arguably has a bit of a legacy at Everton with a derby goal too.

Worth a listen IMO.

For me, HE was the one who got away. Always thought he was going to be a world beater when he broke through.

Then he cut off the dreads and went gash.

I once saw him with his Bird in Jamies italian in town. Did not want to disturb him while he was eating so decided that I would wait till he went the bog.

Totally mistimed it and it got to the bog just as he was having a wee. Felt wrong to approach him at that point.

So I did not get to speak to him. Ah well.

Didn't you get a caution for something similar last time you were out Alan?

Status
Not open for further replies.