Jack Rodwell - Potentially World Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can be said he's only 20 and will progress and move up the pecking order as older players start to decline, but the chances are that there are several players aged 16-18 that will be better than Rodwell in 3 years time. In the same way that Wilshire has progressed so quickly there will be other players. At the moment Jack is ranked about 4th or 5th in the CM's currently available for the U21's. He was about the same 2 years ago, as though he was 3rd or 4th choice to start, that was only because Huddlestone pulled out, as Wilshere did this year. The way I see it is that his problem is actually lack of potential. The thing that usually holds young players back is the physical attributes to compete with senior players. But Jack doesn't lack those at all. But I'm still to see the technical ability that makes me think "wow we've got a major talent on our hands." Watching Tiago yesterday, it was obvious he has massive talent and the only thing holding him back is experience and physical development. Jack seems to be the opposite in that he is physically ready, has the experience of playing first team football for 3 years, but doesn't have the magic in his boots to be a genuine star of the game. Smalling, Walker and Wilshire, seem to be the 3 by far the most likely to becomes regarded as world class amongst the current crop uf U21 players.

It can be said he's only 20 and will progress and move up the pecking order as older players start to decline, but the chances are that there are several players aged 16-18 that will be better than Rodwell in 3 years time. In the same way that Wilshire has progressed so quickly there will be other players. At the moment Jack is ranked about 4th or 5th in the CM's currently available for the U21's. He was about the same 2 years ago, as though he was 3rd or 4th choice to start, that was only because Huddlestone pulled out, as Wilshere did this year. The way I see it is that his problem is actually lack of potential. The thing that usually holds young players back is the physical attributes to compete with senior players. But Jack doesn't lack those at all. But I'm still to see the technical ability that makes me think "wow we've got a major talent on our hands." Watching Tiago yesterday, it was obvious he has massive talent and the only thing holding him back is experience and physical development. Jack seems to be the opposite in that he is physically ready, has the experience of playing first team football for 3 years, but doesn't have the magic in his boots to be a genuine star of the game. Smalling, Walker and Wilshire, seem to be the 3 by far the most likely to becomes regarded as world class amongst the current crop uf U21 players.

It is entirely understandable given his stop-start season that he hasn't progressed as him, Everton, & the fans would have liked over the last 12 to 18 months. Whilst most young players will frustrate at some point in their early career or require a boost in confidence, Jack does need to start showing that he has the quick thinking football brain that has been lacking in his game up to this point. I have no doubts he's got the ability to do it with us, and he appears to be a confident lad, but he's still not ready to control games in the way DM would like him to; time is on his side though for this to happen.

The media speculation is not going to go away anytime soon regarding his future, in some ways I'd be thinking it strange if he didn't have admirers in the game, if he is to be the star many think he can become.

He needs time, I think he'll get the time from Moyes & his staff. We can constructively criticise as fans as is our right to, but I for 1 am not going to have any unrealistic expectations about the player he can become, not just yet anyway.

It is entirely understandable given his stop-start season that he hasn't progressed as him, Everton, & the fans would have liked over the last 12 to 18 months. Whilst most young players will frustrate at some point in their early career or require a boost in confidence, Jack does need to start showing that he has the quick thinking football brain that has been lacking in his game up to this point. I have no doubts he's got the ability to do it with us, and he appears to be a confident lad, but he's still not ready to control games in the way DM would like him to; time is on his side though for this to happen.

My doubts are purely to do with ability. If he was an aggressive ball winning type player or showed Cahill goal scoring instincts, then I'd be less concerned. But to be world class in the position he currently plays, I think you have to show incredile technical ability. I wouldn't mind if he was inconsistent and frustrating, if it the same time I was seeing flashes of pure brilliance, that make me think that given time, he'll be able to iron out the mistakes and start running games. I want to see quick incisive passes, throgh ball, delicate chips etc, the kind of thing you see from young Spanish or South American players. At the moment I just see him progressing into a bog standard England squad midfielder. I think any talk of potentially being world class is well wide of the mark. I don't think he has the ability to be world class in his current role and I don't think he has the game to be an aggreesive DM. For me he has to start playing futher forward and develop into a goal threat from midfield. If he is to make it at the highest level then i think it will be as a Lampard type of player and so much of that is down to instinct. Whether he has it or not, only time will tell.

I've said it before: I think he will end up being a top class centre-half. He has all the attributes he needs plus the ability on the ball like a younger Rio Ferdinand (which is what Utd see also).

I think he still needs time to develop. He's been playing CB through his career until he made the first team step up. That's not saying he shouldn't have any midfielder qualities by now, but I think there is so much you can learn in the amount of games he's played for us in that position. He needs an injury-free season and to start a lot of games. There's no doubt he is filled with quality when he has the ball at his feet, his long range passing, creativity, etc. can certainly be improved upon and that will come with more time spent in his midfield role.

He might not become world class, but he has potential to be one of the best premier league midfielders in my opinion.

I think he'll be class in a year or 2 so really think we should keep hold of him. But looking at the price Carroll, Henderson & Phil Jones have gone for, he'd be worth an absolute fuk-tonne if we were to sell him.

I think he is a classy player and at times he looks like he could be really good player. However, he is too laid back and does not look hungry enough to be a really top player. Maybe its a confidence thing. He needs to play more next season if he stays and establish a proper position for himself.

I should add, I don't think I've ever seen someone so comfortable with both feet. You could argue he's a left footer at times!

From the Fail but at least not a blarg rumour

The mixed zone immediately after an important game is not normally a place where you find footballers offering full and frank appraisals of their form. In the aftermath of England's plucky 1-1 draw with Spain on Sunday night, though, Jack Rodwell broke with convention.

Rather than offering a few anodyne sound bites, the Everton midfielder provided an insight into the journey he has been on during the past 12 months.

'I'll only look back on last season with a sense of frustration,' he said. 'The couple of seasons before that, I had felt as if I had done really well. I'd played in a lot of games and I had tended to play in age groups ahead of the ones I was in. It's been a fast progression.

'But last season, I just stopped still because of one thing and another. When I have been out of the team, I haven't been able to get back in. I just hope it's finally behind me now and I am looking forward to next season already.'

That is no surprise. Everton, after all, went into the 2010/11 campaign with high hopes and it was anticipated that Rodwell, a midfielder with elegance and power, would be central to leading a charge for a Champions League spot.

Instead, the reality was different. While Everton's hopes were compromised by a fatally slow start, Rodwell found himself spending more time on the treatment table than the pitch. A serious ankle problem set him back in September. Groin and hamstring injuries would follow.

When he did make it in to the starting line-up, Rodwell looked a shadow of the player who had rampaged through Manchester United's defence to score a fabulous goal in a thrilling 3-1 Everton win in February 2010, prompting Sir Alex Ferguson to place him high on his wanted list.

Rodwell failed to stamp his authority on games and appeared to have lost his sense of adventure, with his passing too conservative. Some suggested he was simply too nice, that he lacked the devilment and bite to mix it in such an unforgiving arena.

Help, though, has been at hand. Everton captain Phil Neville and England central defender Phil Jagielka are two senior professionals who have never failed to offer advice and guidance, coaxing him through the dip in fortunes.

'I'm a strong person and I can motivate myself to keep focused when I'm not in the team,' explained Rodwell, who says it has been 'quite easy' to ignore the speculation of being linked with moves to Manchester City and Tottenham.

'There are a lot of senior pros to look up to. Phil Neville has been great in terms of the pointers he has given me. He's told me what to do and when to do it when I have been injured, how to deal with any frustrations I have had when I have not been picked.'

Which is why he was able to easily put the disappointment of not making Stuart Pearce's starting line-up in Herning on Sunday to one side, coming on midway through the second period to play a role in England's last-gasp comeback.

England certainly looked a far more assured side when Rodwell traded places with Michael Mancienne and he has now provided Pearce with a selection poser ahead of the crucial game against Ukraine on Wednesday.

'I really enjoyed it,' said Rodwell. 'It's been a tough year and I haven't played a lot for the Under 21s. The others have played close to 10 games but I've only played one or two. I was disappointed not to start but I'm sure everyone else was too.

'I felt good when I came one. I finally feel fresh. I've shaken off a lot of injuries this season but I feel good now, mentally and physically. It's not for me to say whether I will get in (against Ukraine) but I always want to play so let's hope so, fingers crossed
.'

I laughed loudly at the Nev pointers bit.

I think this season we will know if he will be World class or not every young player have a down year i know its a different sport but it happens all the team in the AFL (Australian Football League).

I have noticed some bite to his game by the end of the seson. He was flinging challenges and picking up yellows. It's just the refusal to drive forward which he can do which he doesn't do....might be down to tactics.

I have noticed some bite to his game by the end of the seson. He was flinging challenges and picking up yellows. It's just the refusal to drive forward which he can do which he doesn't do....might be down to tactics.

Very good point KB - the moments in the Utd game and the assist for Mikel in the Citeh away in 2010 - if we got Rodders in that kind of mood for even half the games he played in the future; he didn't play well in the wide role at Villa early season but the best of Jack possibly????? with him & Mikel wide in the future off the striker- if and when Barkley is introduced into the side much further down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.