Is this the greatest Everton XI ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ‘greatest’ team is always highly subjective especially as most of us will only select the players we have actually witnessed excluding great players from previous era’s.
However with this in mind any greatest Everton team which doesn’t include Vernon , Alex Young and Johnny Morrisey , is a fail for me.

I'd try to shoehorn Fred Geary in somewhere : 78 goals in 91 appearances, scored the first goal at Goodison. Size obviously didn't matter for him as he was only 5' 2" . Later became a groundsman for the club. Scored a hat-trick on his debut for England, also a hat-trick in the club's biggest ever win - 11-2 over Derby County.

Open AI suggests;
  1. Neville Southall (Goalkeeper)
  2. Brian Labone (Centre-back)
  3. Kevin Ratcliffe (Centre-back)
  4. Joleon Lescott (Centre-back)
  5. Ray Wilson (Left-back)
  6. Alan Ball (Midfielder)
  7. Colin Harvey (Midfielder)
  8. Howard Kendall (Midfielder)
  9. Alex Young (Forward)
  10. Dixie Dean (Forward)
  11. Trevor Steven (Winger)
Where as Bard (who apparently can’t count) suggests;

• Neville Southall: One of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, Southall made over 750 appearances for Everton and won the FA Cup in 1995.
  • Leighton Baines: A consistent left-back who made over 400 appearances for Everton, Baines is the club's all-time leading appearance maker.
  • Kevin Ratcliffe: The most successful captain in Everton's history, Ratcliffe led the club to two league titles and the FA Cup.
  • Brian Labone: A commanding central defender who made over 300 appearances for Everton, Labone was a key member of the team that won the league title in 1967.
  • Alan Ball: A versatile midfielder who made over 200 appearances for Everton, Ball won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1985.
  • Peter Reid: A tough-tackling midfielder who made over 300 appearances for Everton, Reid was a key member of the team that won the league title in 1985.
  • Andy Gray: A prolific goalscorer who made over 200 appearances for Everton, Gray scored 72 goals for the club.
  • Dixie Dean: The greatest goalscorer in Everton's history, Dean scored 60 goals in the 1927-28 season.
So conclusively & as I said in the CA forum the other day, AI’s are thick as mince.

Any ‘greatest’ team is always highly subjective especially as most of us will only select the players we have actually witnessed excluding great players from previous era’s.
However with this in mind any greatest Everton team which doesn’t include Vernon , Alex Young and Johnny Morrisey , is a fail for me.

Any greatest Everton team that includes players who won nothing with Everton is stupid…….

Status
Not open for further replies.