Is John Stones ready to be Evertons captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Houllier took the armband off hyypia and gave it to gerrard at a similar age.

Gerrard improved rapidly and quicly became one of the best midfielders in europe if not the most influential

Hyypia was still solid as a rock

My guess is if we can hold onto him he will be a future captain but why would you change it if Jagielka is still on the team. Maybe some football historians can clue me in but is there even precedent for when long serving Captain is stripped of his captaincy and then stays on the team? Especially losing it to someone 12 years his Junior?

Gerrard hyypia

Jags is not a good skipper, decent player, when in form worthy of an England start .. but doesn't have the Rita Ora. Stones has a Beckanbaueresque presence about him ... and 'that penalty' shows composure beyond his years .. I'd make him skipper next year.

At least make him vice-captain since our current one is Leon Osman ffs.

Will be interesting to see who takes over when he (probably) stops playing after this season.

The difference he's made since returning...and to think he has stabilised 'senior' professionals like Bainesy and Jags is a great sign of the potential leadership this kid can bring to us.

IMO Tony Adams was one of the best 'leaders' on the pitch there has been and I believe he became skipper at 20? Might be slightly out on that and he was certainly a more 'larger than life ' character than Stones appears to be.

Its not always about shouting and contorted expressions when remonstrating with refs though

... well Kevin Ratcliffe was captain at 23
I was going to dismiss the idea with a sharp "No", but that's a very good point.

I'm still going to say no though. Unless he doesn't want the job, Jags will still be captain next season. If Stones wants it then the season after that is probably about the right time to pass the armband over, by then Stones will have loads of decent experience under his belt and it would allow Jags to concentrate on being fit enough and good enough to keep his place in the first XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.