Is John Stones ready to be Evertons captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue61

I panda to nobody
I know there is already a John Stones thread but I feel this is merited on it's own, but merge if not.
Hear me out before you start saying he's too young or not ready. Everything this lad does oozes class, he's certainly not afraid to voice his opinion on the pitch either, and for me it's no coincidence that the form of Jagielka has improved ten fold since Stones returned to the side. Would Jagielka be happy relinquishing the arm band and be willing to play alongside him? I love Jags, when he's on form he put's everything in, but if Martinez see's this summer as a chance to give his side a fresher, younger look, I think we need a new captain to take the lead, something I think Jags lacks at times.
Regarding his youth, well Kevin Ratcliffe was captain at 23, our most successful captain at that. Tony Adams was Arsenal captain at 21, didn't hinder him did it (on the pitch like)? John Stones will be 21 in May. The bigger clubs will already be coveting this young man, making him captain may be the best way of keeping him.
Tell me what you think GOT, I can take it.

Last edited:
The big clubs will already be coveting this young man, making him captain may be the best way of keeping him.

We are a big club, and yes we should make him skipper with McCarthy as vice captain, the youth are the future. Don't think McCarthy would handle all the media stuff required from a captain, very quiet lad. Let's his football do the talking.

I know there is already a John Stones thread but I feel this is merited on it's own, but merge if not.
Hear me out before you start saying he's too young or not ready. Everything this lad does oozes class, he's certainly not afraid to voice his opinion on the pitch either, and for me it's no coincidence that the form of Jagielka has improved ten fold since Stones returned to the side. Would Jagielka be happy relinquishing the arm band and be willing to play alongside him? I love Jags, when he's on form he put's everything in, but if Martinez see's this summer as a chance to give his side a fresher, younger look, I think we need a new captain to take the lead, something I think Jags lacks at times.
Regarding his youth, well Kevin Ratcliffe was captain at 23, our most successful captain at that. Tony Adams was Arsenal captain at 21, didn't hinder him did it (on the pitch like)? John Stones will be 21 in May. The big clubs will already be coveting this young man, making him captain may be the best way of keeping him.
Tell me what you think GOT, I can take it.
No. Needs to concentrate on his game first.

The big clubs will already be coveting this young man, making him captain may be the best way of keeping him.

We are a big club, and yes we should make him skipper with McCarthy as vice captain, the youth are the future. Don't think McCarthy would handle all the media stuff required from a captain, very quiet lad. Let's his football do the talking.
I meant bigger clubs, I'll edit that.

I think Jags is a better captain than some make out to be. Of course he doesn't get in people's faces all the time, which we would like to see more of, but he's definitely no 'mouse' when we're playing. He does most things well, and for that you have to give him credit for. I think Stones needs another season, which by then Jagielka could be eased out of the team by a new centre back hopefully. I hope our centre back partnership stays like it is until the end of the season, it benefits everyone and I become more confident watching Everton when Stones-Jagielka are playing. Of course, they have some dodgy moments but the performances are improving every game. Onwards and upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.