Is it too early to compete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markDee

Player Valuation: £2.5m
The 'spine' of our team are all very young and arguably our best players:
Stones (19) McCarthy (23) Barkley (20) Lukaku (21)

You could throw in Besic (21) and maybe Browning (20) in there also.

I said arguably our best players because we have Coleman (26) Mirallas (27) and Baines (29) who are all boss aswell.

My point is, are we ready to win things with this team or are we just a few years away? I'm not counting our poor start to this season because all of the above haven't even played all together yet through injury.

I think we have the best young team in the league and it will take a season or two but eventually we will start doing something special, as long as we keep the squad together

I'm afraid we will never be up there as long as Kenwright is the owner. To compete you need investment, large amounts of money spent on several players.
I'd love us to be up there without major investment and just hard work involved but its the modern day and I don't think any team in England will ever be at the top without several hundered of millions spent on their team.

To be fair, the OP did say 'win things' not specifically 'win the league'. And I think it's a good question.

To state the obvious, you do need a blend of youth and experience. In that sense we do seem to be in pretty good shape.

However one of the key things for me is another young man. Martinez himself. If he can turn things round this season after a difficult start and continue to instill the passing philosophy and belief in the team (and as Mark says, keep the squad together), we really could be onto something.

I'm afraid we will never be up there as long as Kenwright is the owner. To compete you need investment, large amounts of money spent on several players.
I'd love us to be up there without major investment and just hard work involved but its the modern day and I don't think any team in England will ever be at the top without several hundered of millions spent on their team.

.....I know where you are coming from, but the reds illustrated last year that a team can come from further back than us to compete for the title. Sometimes I think we underestimate our own team. We slugged it out with Arsenal last season, we're decent. I accept that the wealthier clubs usually win leagues but it's not impossible.

The 'spine' of our team are all very young and arguably our best players:
Stones (19) McCarthy (23) Barkley (20) Lukaku (21)

You could throw in Besic (21) and maybe Browning (20) in there also.

I said arguably our best players because we have Coleman (26) Mirallas (27) and Baines (29) who are all boss aswell.

My point is, are we ready to win things with this team or are we just a few years away? I'm not counting our poor start to this season because all of the above haven't even played all together yet through injury.

I think we have the best young team in the league and it will take a season or two but eventually we will start doing something special, as long as we keep the squad together

I think that's the key part and as we know down the years, the hardest part! Fingers crossed we can keep hold of them, exciting times if we can I hope, even the 'older' bracket players you mention there will still have a few years left there and with a few quality additions and keep hold of Martinez... (He is the right man)... Then Walton Hall Park stadium may be bouncing celebrating the league title in a few yrs ;)

So yeah I think it is a bit early to compete in the foreseeable but in a few years I hope so, watch this space.

I think we've certainly got the talent to win things. We probably just need a bit of experience to apply that talent consistently. We can be great one week, and poor the next, or trip up when we come under a bit of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.