"Is David Moyes Really As Good As People Make Out?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The strength of any particular muscle is not dependant on it's size, more it fibre recruitment potential and make up of fibres, I.e. fast twitch.

The confusion you have made is that muscle size is directly related to strength which is not the case, something I know a fair deal about.

It's you that has made the confusion as the principles of power lifting are almost exactly the same as the situation you describe in your last post when the reality is that modern techniques mean that to improve jump height(spring) the majority of trainers use plyometrics, which helps a player maximise their potential without switching fibres which can limit their ability to perform aerobic tasks which is also a basis for Football training and performance.

Whether they are over-training is subjective IMO.

You may say that we only do the same as Man Utd, but it could be argued that Man Utd have a bigger squad and they can cope with injuries better. It could be argued that we could or should do less to minimise risk of injury to keep the squad healthier?

Looking at how we start every season you could make a case we over train at the beggining, the players start tired and we don't get results. When this tapers of into a maintenance phase the players energy levels recover and we start picking up points as other teams tire as they haven't reached our level of fitness overall.

I wasn't referring to muscle bundle contraction speed, I was referring to the power the muscle as a whole (because there are more muscle bundles) can apply across for example the elbow joint or knee joint. Thereby making the limb move faster due to work applied per unit time.

Also I know all about actin and myosin and how muscle fibres contract (they only ever do so at one speed) and that type I and type II relates to actually the number of bundles present in the muscle (the density of the bundles).

"Fast twitch" is a misnomer there is no difference in speed of contraction of individual fibres. Its actually bundle density that is important and that defines both muscle "types".

I know muscle size (hypertrophy) and strength isn't directly proportional, such as those that are hugely over developed may not in fact be stronger than someone who isn't. However with any form of strength training there is some muscle growth because more bundles are inevitably grown. This is the same for those that do endurance events.

I would also counter regarding squad size. A very well known football club insurer in Germany did a study and found no statistical evidence to say smaller squads developed more injuries. It was only noted an injury may cause a smaller squad more difficulty in replacing the injured player and the player recovery time was sometimes seen to be shorter, however it was found more resources were usually put into the recovery of that player as a cause of that.

Arsenal and Spurs currently with large squads have the two highest injury lists in the country.

Actually you'll find that statistical evidence shows that injuries are more common for people who've not sufficiently trained enough for the activity they are doing.

This was as much for lack of mental preparation as well as physical.

You're talking about reducing risk of injury?

You implied in the last post that the club are not minimising risk and it was obviously in your opinion the result of overtraining. You also countered that rest periods are irrelevant.

I'd say you're wrong that the players should train hard, in quality sessions with plenty of rest periods and that they should do multiple activities including low impact work to reduce mental fatigue.

I'd say on the basis of what gets reported of their training, that they do all the right things at Everton and it is certainly not correct to imply that their training is causing injuries in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
No offence mate I can tell it's a subject you don't really know the ins & outs of.

Wait for a financial thread then you can treat me like a cheap woman and get your own back!!!

I know enough mate from experience. To know you don't know all you're claiming to know.

*edit. Good debate though and you know I love that...

None of this "you're a ****" as you see on other less reputable forums.

Last edited:

No but other sites do, and which have been reported in the press which was read by me.

Which again shows Moyes is not "bad for the players" as some people try to claim

You gonna post injury stats for other seasons then?

You claim you can't study just one set of stas but must compare and contrast them with others so lets see the stats for all seasons under Moyes rather than just one.

I know enough mate from experience. To know you don't know all you're claiming to know.

*edit. Good debate though and you know I love that...

None of this "you're a ****" as you see on other less reputable forums.

Appreciate that myself mate. Difficult subject to debate in all honesty because none of us kbnow what he actually does aqt the farm.

Ploughing Fields the old fashioned way, with only a bowl of salty oats for fortitude? It would explain a few of Neville's game faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.