Injury woes: Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair a lot of the top teams do less intense fitness training because I've read somewhere (I think it was in re: to Chelsea managing to field the same XI almost a full season in every game) that it's beneficial to a players fitness over a full season.

To be fair a lot of the top teams do less intense fitness training because I've read somewhere (I think it was in re: to Chelsea managing to field the same XI almost a full season in every game) that it's beneficial to a players fitness over a full season.

I agree with this. At every single level limited players want to train in a way that they can impose and improve themselves. That's strength and conditioning. Top players improve themselves technically. There obviously has to be a solid mix but when you have a player who bangs on about how good training is just because they've been run into the ground it generally means that they're not very good IMO.

He was definitely having a pop there. I cant blame him (Long) for wanting to move on he should have had more action at the beginning of last season. I just hope Everton have got some sell on clauses so if he does well we get some decent money. We trained and developed him for 15 years so half a million is a kick in the teeth.

IMO he never looked like a premiership player the times I saw him play.

I agree with this. At every single level limited players want to train in a way that they can impose and improve themselves. That's strength and conditioning. Top players improve themselves technically. There obviously has to be a solid mix but when you have a player who bangs on about how good training is just because they've been run into the ground it generally means that they're not very good IMO.

Yeah, I agree - being less technically gifted necessitates being a better athlete, or something. I just thought it was an interesting quote and couldn't find a 'Chris Long' thread, tbh.

In any case, we seem to have individually tailored regimes for the players and with the staff/facilities on offer I'm sure they're of the highest level. Hamstring injuries don't seem as fashionable recently, anyway.

I have a little personal experience with this. Got a grade 2 high hamsting injury (the kind where you see Kev grab his butt) just doing a warm up run in the beginning of September and I still can't run on it. Its annoying too because you can pretty much do everything (bike, swim jump etc) except run farther than 100 yards or so. Also most hamstring injuries aren't muscle pulls they are tendon tears at the end of the muscle which take a long time to heal and when they do heal its scar tissue which makes it weaker. Just went to the physio yesterday to see what the hell is going on. He says that the injury is probably healed but the scar tissue kind of has to get worked out with stretching and starting out running small amounts and its probably gonna take another couple months or so to feel "mostly" normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.