Injury woes: Hamstrings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hibbertinho

Player Valuation: £8m
Why so many ham-pings? I don't expect our collective lack of medical expertise to get to the bottom of this one... but why on earth have their been so many under Boberto's tenure?

Those 'tailored' individual workout regimes too intense? Incorrect/premature rehabilitation? Did we sign a load of players with lazzy-bands for legs ?

I think this phenomenal phenomenon pre-dates the changeover of medical staff after Martinez came in, for the record... but something must be going on/awry here. Does anyone have any insight or speculation as to what has changed in our training methods etc.?

Just seen your post on another thread that Henen has done his as well...?! How many's that now this pre-season, 5?

....hamstrings finished me off, problem being that tears leave scar tissue that repeatedly pop. It can't be a coincidence that we have so many and we debated it lots last year. Often linked to back problems and mostly impacting pacy types, the issue reinforces my view that we need a medical strategy that comes from the top - an effective and innovative Club Doctor.

Something is very very wrong down at FF.
IMHO, the club should step in and create a new medical dept structure that has a dotted line into the manager and a straight line into a new chief of medical operations/staff at the club.

Something is very very wrong down at FF.
IMHO, the club should step in and create a new medical dept structure that has a dotted line into the manager and a straight line into a new chief of medical operations/staff at the club.

....there has been a similar thread and I posted a remark from a renowned medical person I know who told me 'Finch Farm has fantastic, state of the art equipment but nobody who properly knows how to use it'.

I can't name the source but it was his opinion.

....there has been a similar thread and I posted a remark from a renowned medical person I know who told me 'Finch Farm has fantastic, state of the art equipment but nobody who properly knows how to use it'.

I,m not surprised and it,s going to cost us on the pitch.

City had a similar problem few years back, not sure if it was hamstrings, but a load of players all went down with the same injuries. They looked into it and found that a particular training routine was causing them, they changed the routine and the injuries stopped.

I reckon the same is going on at FF, too much emphasis on sprinting, similar last year pre season, we didn't seem to do any stamina work which meant for months we could last for 70 minutes a game only. He needs to get a balance, its more than a bit worrying

Sill Van, This Dan?

Roberto Martinez, 20th April 2012 - "I don't believe in soft-tissue injuries. If you get a soft-tissue injury in football, a mistake has been made. It could be the training programme, a lifestyle problem. Whatever it is, it will be a mistake."

Since Danny Donachie we haven't actually brought in an extra person, safe to say though Matt Connery isn't doing a great a job at identifying what's causing this.

Roberto Martinez, 20th April 2012 - "I don't believe in soft-tissue injuries. If you get a soft-tissue injury in football, a mistake has been made. It could be the training programme, a lifestyle problem. Whatever it is, it will be a mistake."

Since Danny Donachie we haven't actually brought in an extra person, safe to say though Matt Connery isn't doing a great a job at identifying what's causing this.

....my understanding is the strategy comes from the Club Doctor, Everton has not moved with the times in this role.

City had a similar problem few years back, not sure if it was hamstrings, but a load of players all went down with the same injuries. They looked into it and found that a particular training routine was causing them, they changed the routine and the injuries stopped.

I reckon the same is going on at FF, too much emphasis on sprinting, similar last year pre season, we didn't seem to do any stamina work which meant for months we could last for 70 minutes a game only. He needs to get a balance, its more than a bit worrying

Both Arsenal and Utd went through a couple of seasons of hamstring injuries right as the got their new 3G pitches installed. Apparently it seems there's a link to playing on these new type of pitches, training on normal old pitches (finch farm) and hamstring problems, I've read this elsewhere.

Not sure how they both got round the problem though, but it's something that does need further investigation by the club because it does seem preventable.

Status
Not open for further replies.