Impact of injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus. Heard it all now. McCarthy not a proper injury.

So if he misses matches (missed at least 3 already) then its not counted??! Ok.

Yes he missed 3 but they were all within a week so only injured for a short space of time. Hell by irelands own admission he could have played tonight but they arent risking him and giving him time.

If you took the same players of importance out of any other side in the league they'd struggle. You only have to look at the likes of the [Poor language removed] and arsenal and so on, they loose 2 or 3 players and they turn to [Poor language removed], we loose 4 or 5 of our big players at any one time so understandable we've been up and down

Agree it has significantly impacted our season, especially Mirallas as not only did he link up very well with Lukaku but with Pienaar also out it has meant we have been very stretched on the wings.

We aren't the only team though, United and Arsenal for example have had lots of injuries as well. Since both sides had weaks defences already, the concentration of injuries there has had a big impact on both teams. Burnley had their two strikers out for a long time which with a small team already has probably contributed to their lack of goals.

The only team that hasn't been troubled by longrunning injuries in a particular area is Chelsea and even then they had both Costa and Remy out at the same time for a couple of games.

....strange how you at least appear to have less serious injuries when you are successful. Saying that, it might just be a myth. In '87 we won a league with the underrated Van De Hauwe playing CB for a large part of the season, we had a number of key players missing for those FA Cup's in the 80s. Perhaps they are always there, it's just a matter of who copes best.

He has had the same injuries though year on year. Hell even at similar times (october time).

Surely you class that as more than a coincidence?!

So what are you suggesting? His hamstrings don't like it when the clocks go back or Mirallas is skiving and likes an autum break?

Just because a certain player has a recurring problem it doesn't mean we can't factor him in when talking about an injury crisis.

So what are you suggesting? His hamstrings don't like it when the clocks go back or Mirallas is skiving and likes an autum break?

Just because a certain player has a recurring problem it doesn't mean we can't factor him in when talking about an injury crisis.
It is the toll on the body allows you to predict when they will break down and you would hope try and prevent that. As i said is it a coincidence that mirallas has picked up injures at more or less the same point of the season since he joined us? And they are for the same reason? We arent talking broken bones here, its the same problems reoccuring again and again.

So when factoring an injury crisis you kinda have to say, well stones and coleman injured has affected us this way but we expected kev to be out and antolin and steven was going to at some point etc

It is the toll on the body allows you to predict when they will break down and you would hope try and prevent that. As i said is it a coincidence that mirallas has picked up injures at more or less the same point of the season since he joined us? And they are for the same reason? We arent talking broken bones here, its the same problems reoccuring again and again.

So when factoring an injury crisis you kinda have to say, well stones and coleman injured has affected us this way but we expected kev to be out and antolin and steven was going to at some point etc

You know he didn't have a hamstring injury last year don't you.

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/3944/kevin_mirallas_injury.html

But then most of those injuries are the same, including 4 hamstring. but further to the point, the hamstring / grion injuries will be down to the way he plays and the fact he relies on pace and quickness so yes you do expect a player to pick these sorts of injuries up.

I only count 2 on that list that you can attribute as random.

I feel the impact of injuries we have suffered as a team has been hugely understated so far by us fans but also others such as the media.

We could pretty much field a decent team full of players who have suffered mid to long term injuries this season, the number I think is quite unprecedented within the league.

GK - clearly no injury here
RB - Coleman (missed four weeks)
CB - Alcaraz (missing for 3 months)
CB - Stones (missing for 3 months plus)
LB - Oviedo ( missed all season thus far due to injury recovery)

RM - Mirallas (missed six weeks plus)
CM - Gibson (recovering from long term injury..missed 8 weeks or so)
CM - McCarthy (out for 3-4 weeks and potentially injured now)/Barry (injured now for 'weeks rather than months')
LF - Pienaar (missed 4 weeks)

CAM - Barkley (missed 7 weeks)
FW - Kone (missed all season) / Rom has been unfit for six weeks carrying an injury.

Genuinely cant think of a team who has suffered as much or as frequent. Its not just fringe players either, Coleman,Stones,Mirallas,McCarthy and to a lesser extent Pienaar all make us tick as a team.
That team up there imho would be top 10 easily.

In my opinion it shows a) how unlucky we have been and b) that were doing just fine currently in comparison to being able to get a full strength team out.

Others have suffered injuries but only to one player or two. We have suffered significantly more than anyone in the league and consequently our position reflects that.

I fully expect with a bit more luck with injuries (to ourselves or other teams) we will be in or around 4th again. Keep the faith.
COYB

It certainly is rubbish.

Have to say Martinez annoys me a bit (shocked faces everywhere) when he says we have a squad to cope with it. That's just a lie.

With the amount we have I do think a lot goes down to how much our better players have to play. Not all of course. And I also wonder if our behind the scenes training etc has something to do with it.

I'm not one to believe in luck. There's a reason for everything.

But then most of those injuries are the same, including 4 hamstring. but further to the point, the hamstring / grion injuries will be down to the way he plays and the fact he relies on pace and quickness so yes you do expect a player to pick these sorts of injuries up.

I only count 2 on that list that you can attribute as random.

He had a bad spell from Novemeber 2012 to January 2013 were he was clearly not given enough time to recover from the initial injury and it reoccurred a few times that's it, the rest of them are completely different injuries until he's had this problem recently.

I'm no doctor but even I know the difference between a groin injury to a hamstring injury and the effects it has on your body.

It certainly is rubbish.

Have to say Martinez annoys me a bit (shocked faces everywhere) when he says we have a squad to cope with it. That's just a lie.

With the amount we have I do think a lot goes down to how much our better players have to play. Not all of course. And I also wonder if our behind the scenes training etc has something to do with it.

I'm not one to believe in luck. There's a reason for everything.
Chelsea players get a lot of game time , for instance both Terry and Fabregas have played in every league and CL game this season and in general they have one of the best injury records over multiple seasons.

Chelsea players get a lot of game time , for instance both Terry and Fabregas have played in every league and CL game this season and in general they have one of the best injury records over multiple seasons.

It's not th only reason I admit. But I do think it's a factor.

Fabregas barely played for Barca last year, McCarthy played just about every game when he joined. (Because he's boss like).

It's bound to take its toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.