If Silva is sacked - who could/should we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced Eddie Howe would be the answer. It's not like he's had nothing to spend down there and he hasn't really kicked them on after securing them in the Premier League

He showed great foresight to go for a lad like Ake, who I think is a fantastic player, but I'm not sure what he'd do here that Silva hasn't

Ideally we want a manager who will have us playing decent football but will also keep us tight at the back. The most important thing is the squads mentality though. We ultimately need a manager who will get these players performing to their best level, and I don't know who that is

Any manager who comes in is going to be handcuffed by our bloated squad, which probably rules out a Mourinho type because he'd want to spend money and, unless we have a fire-sale, a manager isn't going to be able to add to the wage bill when we have so many players living off the fat of the land like we do now

So we either need a master motivator man manager who will get this current crop of players performing, or a shrewd manager who can get as many of these players off the books as possible whilst investing the meager amounts we get in return appropriately to sign the right players to replace them without breaking the FFP rules

Basically, whoever takes the job from Silva has a huge mountain to assail, and our fan base has shown recently that we're not a particularly patient lot. If Silva does go, the new manager will simply have to hit the ground running and maintain that momentum, otherwise we'll be having the same conversations this time next year

What a mess

Eddie Howe would be crying for his mum within a month off taking the Everton job.

He has the perfect job ( for him ) at Bournemouth.

No pressure from the fans or Chairman to do anything other than stay in the league every year.

As many others have said, he bailed from Burnley when the pressure got turned up and went back to his comfort blanket at Bournemouth.

Everton would ruin him.

Those of us that doubt Arteta's suitability because of age/experience might ponder that Howard Kendall was 39 when we won the first of his managerial titles with us in 1985. And he had already won us the FA Cup as manager in 1984. Admittedly he had previous experience at Blackburn in a lower league but you could argue that being a No.2 to Pep Guardiola is better and more relevant experience to bring to the table in today's world.

Yeah, let’s make a totally irrelevant comparison with one of the greatest mangers this country has ever produced and what he did 35 years ago, to a good player that played for us for a few years and is currently a no2. I like Arteta, and he MAY go on to be a good manager, but to bring comparisons into it with Howard is a bit silly.
I reckon translators have a good record at becoming a Manager, Portuguese ones even more so, let’s go and get a Portuguese translator and give him the managers job. Turned out alright last time it happened.

For me I would look at Gasperini, Bielsa, Garitino or Setien. I think we need a more experienced coach and someone who has shown they are able to manage a side who are around middle of the table in terms of resources available (we are currently around 7th).

All of them (with the exception of Garitano) have shown an ability to manage these sides to top 6 finishes.

I'm not convinced Eddie Howe would be the answer. It's not like he's had nothing to spend down there and he hasn't really kicked them on after securing them in the Premier League

He showed great foresight to go for a lad like Ake, who I think is a fantastic player, but I'm not sure what he'd do here that Silva hasn't

Ideally we want a manager who will have us playing decent football but will also keep us tight at the back. The most important thing is the squads mentality though. We ultimately need a manager who will get these players performing to their best level, and I don't know who that is

Any manager who comes in is going to be handcuffed by our bloated squad, which probably rules out a Mourinho type because he'd want to spend money and, unless we have a fire-sale, a manager isn't going to be able to add to the wage bill when we have so many players living off the fat of the land like we do now

So we either need a master motivator man manager who will get this current crop of players performing, or a shrewd manager who can get as many of these players off the books as possible whilst investing the meager amounts we get in return appropriately to sign the right players to replace them without breaking the FFP rules

Basically, whoever takes the job from Silva has a huge mountain to assail, and our fan base has shown recently that we're not a particularly patient lot. If Silva does go, the new manager will simply have to hit the ground running and maintain that momentum, otherwise we'll be having the same conversations this time next year

What a mess

I think there's a lot of sense in this. I would be very nervous about Howe. I think the manner in which his teams play somewhat obscures the results he gets. I don't think he's done much better than (for example) Dyche.

For me we need a stronger, more experienced manager to come in.

Any danger of us getting someone in who has not jibbed us off for a "bigger" club already or called us a small club in the past?

I don't think I am asking for too much really.

Eddie Howe would be crying for his mum within a month off taking the Everton job.

He has the perfect job ( for him ) at Bournemouth.

No pressure from the fans or Chairman to do anything other than stay in the league every year.

As many others have said, he bailed from Burnley when the pressure got turned up and went back to his comfort blanket at Bournemouth.

Everton would ruin him.

I agree

The people who want him would change their tune if he came here I think

I think it'd be a bit of a disaster to be honest

I've had it with dour managers who want us to be plucky when we're better than that and idealist managers who want us to be Barcelona when we don't have the players for it

I want a pro-active and flexible manager, who will come in and look at the players and both get them organised whilst appropriately motivated

Allardyce got them organised, but then set them up for damage limitation against the big sides, whilst Martinez had us playing suicidal high lines against the top teams because he was happy so long as we won the passing and had plenty of "phenomenal" moments

There has to be a happy medium between those two right? A manager who will have us trying to win every game whilst also keeping us properly organised? He/She is out there, I'm sure of it

For me I would look at Gasperini, Bielsa, Garitino or Setien. I think we need a more experienced coach and someone who has shown they are able to manage a side who are around middle of the table in terms of resources available (we are currently around 7th).

All of them (with the exception of Garitano) have shown an ability to manage these sides to top 6 finishes.
Every one of those Managers has a worse win% across their career than Silva. They have all had worse runs than the one Silva is experiencing, if you pick the person you believe has the right qualities to be the manager in any environment you need to support them when times are tough, especially during transition. This team is in transition, playing style, playing staff and coaching staff and it takes time and energy to make these things stick.

I don't see why giving Arteta a crack would be such a bad decision. He has to start somewhere and even Arsenal were linked with him before throwing all their eggs in the emery basket.

an unrealistic high profile manager: Antonio Conte
young manager for the future but we'd have to give him time as well: Graham Potter (how's Swansea playing now?)
exciting option Arteta

Every one of those Managers has a worse win% across their career than Silva. They have all had worse runs than the one Silva is experiencing, if you pick the person you believe has the right qualities to be the manager in any environment you need to support them when times are tough, especially during transition. This team is in transition, playing style, playing staff and coaching staff and it takes time and energy to make these things stick.

Thats a fair point, the two things I'd say is that they haven't all managed at the same level clubs relative to the leagues. Silva has managed the top team in Greece and the 3rd best team in Portugal.

I'd also say that each of them have got better with age. For Gasperini and Setien their best job has been their last job. They look similar in profile to Favre when he was at Nice, who has proven to be an astute choice of Dortmund.

Each of them have made their last teams better. That is what is required here.

The issue is here, for so long we’ve had this mentality of employing so called up and coming managers. Instead of actually going out and employing a winner, a manager who has won something like a Mancini, Ancelotti, Mourinho, we have so far bired Koeman off the back of a good season at Southampton, Allardyce to apparently keep us up, and now Silva off the back of getting Hull relegated and being sacked by Watford.

To me, this just isn’t good enough from the top down. We all know nowadays you don’t get 3 seasons never mind 5-10 so all of this it’s a long term plan to me is astonishing. We are going backwards as a club and as a business. How are going to build this big new stadium if we aren’t in the Premier League and if we can’t attract a good manager, yet alone good players.

Sigurdsson, Richarlison, Mina, Keane, Walcott they all need a good kicking and if they’re not up for the fight, the fight is every single game, then [Poor language removed] them off. I would much rather we play youth team players who show some passion than these 150k a week players who aren’t bothered we went out of the cup at home to Southampton on pens or that we lost to Millwall. Where’s the passion and the fight?!

To me Silva is not and has never been the right man for the job. This is Everton, not Hull nor Watford respectively. We have been here since the start, we are a proper club. We just aren’t being managed by a proper manager. All the money we have spent no doubt paying off contracts would of been better spent going out and making a crazy off to a world class winning manager, but Everton being Everton so it the hard way. I personally think some people talking about Arteta and Eddie Howe etc are just insane. It’s the same loser mentality. One of these guys is a bloody assistant manager for God’s sake. Let’s get real. We need an experienced winner, dare i say it even Wenger would come in and do better than the previous 3 managers, I have no doubt in that what so ever.

I just want us to start shouting that we are Everton from every rooftop available. Hopefully that world class winning manager will hear us and come calling. If not we might as well offer another up and coming Manager a chance, then it will happen again and again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.