2017/18 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been very tentative in the challenge this season, finally back snapping at everything tonight.

Thankfully he didn't get a yellow card tonight, if he had he would have been banned for the Chelsea game.

He'll be an important player for us against Chelsea, when we likely won't see much of the ball.

So bad on the ball. Luckily for him, Schneiderlin was worse because at least Gueye didn't spend the entire 1sf half hiding next to Williams and blatantly not wanting the ball with his "No, you have it" footballing philosophy.

As positive as the last few weeks have been, I'm baffled that we have reverted to a pairing that has seldom worked well together in the last 12 months and was instrumental in the downfall of Koeman. The game changed significantly when Davies came on, and it wasn't just a coincidence.

But back to Gueye... I see people talking about him on Twitter like hes Alan Ball or something. It genuinely baffles me. I thought 1st half tonight he looked like a competition winner, and to be honest, Ive never really got what all of the fuss about, especially the way he is lauded while Mccarthy is criticised for playing essentially the same role.

He tries hard and runs a lot. That should be the bare minimum you expect from a defensive midfielder.

At least with Rooney next to him, he doesn't try and do too much because he can just give it and stay where he is. The less he has to dribble or pass the better for everyone.

He looks like he's been asked to do a job slightly in front of snides . I dont think think that suits him. Great at breaking up play but his passing is poor. Needs a player like Davies in front of him(unfortunately his performances has dropped) but better tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.