Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not all about making tackles though. If you are positionLly good you don't sometimes even need to tackle. I never saw Alan Hansen make a tackle, yet he was an effective defender. If he goes diving in all the time he leaves us wide open.im convinced Liverpool had a strategy of tempting him out of position and then to exploit the space behind, and he fell for it hook line and sinker

Liverpool do that with everybody, that's something that Coutinho is particularly adept at, he draws you in, then makes you make the decision for him. They play well in tight situations, they can shift a ball into space while having 3 players around the, that's what we need to learn. Barkley has 3 players on him at times, yet can't find a player to pass to, it's not always his fault. Every Liverpool player has an option all the time, even if that option is to hit the channels. We don't. As much as I found Bolasie frustrating, he was the only one who gave us that option to hit the channel when under pressure and get settled at the back again.

...both Gueye and Davis were caught the wrong side of Mane and Coutinho when they cut inside. You can see that for the goals both these players scored. In Schneiderlin's absence we badly needed Barry to start because he works that space ('between the lines').

Barry would've protected the wing backs, shielded the back four and given Gueye and Davies more licence. It was a very strange set up and even stranger that it wasn't changed in the first half.

There'd have been riots outside Goodison if Barry had started tbh Eggs. Just read the comments on here this time last week :D

I am really struggling to see how some people thought he played well or alright yesterday. I didn't see him win a tackle at all. He took forever to pass the ball when someone was in space and he was awful for the 2nd goal. Took an age to get over and put a crap tackle in. Was so easy. He is class but thought he was very poor but no one played even alright yesterday.

He won quite a few tackles.

Unfortunately the ones he didn't win led to goals.

But we got overloaded in midfield. Both Davies and Gueye are more - like @bluestevon said - energetic players who get around the pitch and harry the opposition.

Because of the injuries and Ross having a stinker, we didn't have a player who could get on the ball and set the tempo.

There'd have been riots outside Goodison if Barry had started tbh Eggs. Just read the comments on here this time last week :D

Yeah, this stood out to me after about 15 mins on Saturday. We were missing that midfielder who could sit. Davies and Gueye naturally want to go and win the ball, which is great when there's someone able to fill in the space they leave, but we didn't have that on Saturday and it became painfully obvious after a short while that Barry for Pennington would have been preferable from the start after all, despite what most people (myself included) thought beforehand

Yeah, this stood out to me after about 15 mins on Saturday. We were missing that midfielder who could sit. Davies and Gueye naturally want to go and win the ball, which is great when there's someone able to fill in the space they leave, but we didn't have that on Saturday and it became painfully obvious after a short while that Barry for Pennington would have been preferable from the start after all, despite what most people (myself included) thought beforehand

Exactly the same mate.

I didn't want Barry to start because I thought we'd get over-run, and in all fairness had we not had all those injuries I think the 3 at the back would have worked.

In hindsight (a wonderful thing I know) that system/plan should've been scrapped when Coleman, Mori and Snides/Macca were all out.

That being said, I do think Barry will start tonight, and against Utd's midfield (which isn't full of pace) he should be okay.

..there always is, Matey, but more often than not he does a job. I'm with everybody that the fella shouldn't start much but given the injury to Schneiderlin and the threat the Reds possess, Saturday was ideal for him. The game was over when he came on but all of a sudden we looked better balanced and started to pass the ball. He's past his best but he's a player who his team mates appreciate.

..there always is, Matey, but more often than not he does a job. I'm with everybody that the fella shouldn't start much but given the injury to Schneiderlin and the threat the Reds possess, Saturday was ideal for him. The game was over when he came on but all of a sudden we looked better balanced and started to pass the ball. He's past his best but he's a player who his team mates appreciate.

Exactly mate, and I think it'd probably do us all well to remember that haha.

As I said, in hindsight Barry would've helped. But I think we can all understand Koeman's reasons for not playing him.

Liverpool do that with everybody, that's something that Coutinho is particularly adept at, he draws you in, then makes you make the decision for him. They play well in tight situations, they can shift a ball into space while having 3 players around the, that's what we need to learn. Barkley has 3 players on him at times, yet can't find a player to pass to, it's not always his fault. Every Liverpool player has an option all the time, even if that option is to hit the channels. We don't. As much as I found Bolasie frustrating, he was the only one who gave us that option to hit the channel when under pressure and get settled at the back again.
If you look at the times though we got done for the goals, the situation only became dangerous once he had committed himself ie if he'd stayed on his feet we wouldn't have conceded.
And he's 27, if he wants to play the Kante role its fundamental that he knows when to tackle and when to stay on his feet

If you look at the times though we got done for the goals, the situation only became dangerous once he had committed himself ie if he'd stayed on his feet we wouldn't have conceded.
And he's 27, if he wants to play the Kante role its fundamental that he knows when to tackle and when to stay on his feet

That's my point mate, he got drawn in and made Coutinho's mind up, as did others.

Gana hasn't been nearly as effective since he came back from African Nations Cup

That needs to be part of our transfer strategy this Summer. No more [Poor language removed] Africans who'll disappear for 6 weeks in the middle of a [Poor language removed] season and come back wrecked.

Gana hasn't been nearly as effective since he came back from African Nations Cup

That needs to be part of our transfer strategy this Summer. No more [Poor language removed] Africans who'll disappear for 6 weeks in the middle of a [Poor language removed] season and come back wrecked.

won't have to worry about that for another 4 years tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.