2023/24 Idrissa Gueye

I hope Gana Gueye has a speedy recovery, but I also hope that Sean Dyche realises how well we played without him today and starts him from the bench when he returns, not just put him back in the team.
I missed his 90 degree turns slowing our attacks down & then losing the ball - plus those awful shots over the bar - been a great player like Young = finished .....

Could he finish like Garner for the first goal? Perhaps one game in a thousand. When was the last time you saw him break up play with his physicality like Onana did for the 3rd goal? That's not part of his game either.

He's a limited footballer with seemingly unlimited stamina and work rate, but I feel his role moving forward should be as a energy based disruptor off the bench at best, ideally when we have a solid lead already.

Reason being his poor decision making and passing often leaves us susceptible on the break, and he offers very little going forward.

He gives us all, but I also feel having a bit of a headless chicken with a license to roam throws both his central midfield partner as well as our defence. The dam wall often breaks after one of his searching and ultimately unsuccessful ball winning efforts.

Hopefully Dyche see's this too. Thank goodness for the warm up coming to our rescue today.

Everton fans are weird

Been fighting fires in midfield all season with no help

Team finally comes up against another crap team that turns up with a non existent midfield (like Crystal Palace) last year - and suddenly he's the root of all our problems

"Fighting fires all season" ?

Hes been out of position every single game.

His passing has been below par every single game.

He is the fire.

Everton fans are weird

Team finally comes up against another crap team that turns up with a non existent midfield (like Crystal Palace) last year - and suddenly he's the root of all our problems

We were also better against Villa in the cup when he didn’t play, who don’t have a non existent midfield like Crystal Palace.

Our biggest issue in the midfield is that we can’t keep hold of the ball when we get it, because of players like him that can’t pass wind. You’ve got to really bend over backwards to make the argument that we need him in the midfield.

Everton fans are weird

Generally we lose total control of the midfield when he isn't playing. The 2nd half against Luton for one. Supporters have to consider the opposition before deciding to chuck him in the bin, Bournemouth were undoubtedly the worst team to show up at Goodison this season.

When we play aggressive teams or the ones with quality where most of the game will be spent deep in our own half then we'll need him still.

Generally we lose total control of the midfield when he isn't playing. The 2nd half against Luton for one. Supporters have to consider the opposition before deciding to chuck him in the bin, Bournemouth were undoubtedly the worst team to show up at Goodison this season.

When we play aggressive teams or the ones with quality where most of the game will be spent deep in our own half then we'll need him still.
Exactly - horses for courses. At home against poor teams, I'd want Garne and Onana in the middle. Against RS at their shed, I want him in the XI.

For whatever reason, many of our fans see the game as black and white - one way or the other - rather than the more obvious grey in the middle.

Exactly - horses for courses. At home against poor teams, I'd want Garne and Onana in the middle. Against RS at their shed, I want him in the XI.

For whatever reason, many of our fans see the game as black and white - one way or the other - rather than the more obvious grey in the middle.

Never been a huge fan, even in his first spell. But he's not dead and will still be of use this season. He doesn't offer anywhere near the attributes Onana and Garner do because all his best attributes are without the ball.

The best way imo to use him is as a spare man.

Meaning that when were massively on the back foot we throw Gana into the game and tell him either to man mark someone or to simply chase players and hunt them down in the middle.

Anything else is a step down