• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the influence on society is greater. You average person the street isn't influenced by the decisions made by ASDA and their employees. Footballers are generously rewarded for that.

Also, I think if an organisation was holding an event to against homophobia and an employee refused to take part there would be repercussions. In most contracts there is a few lines on company ethics, reputation etc.

The Equality Act states that an employer is responsible for the behaviour of its employees.

Under the Equality Act 2010 harassment refers to "unwanted conduct which violates someone’s dignity or creates an intimidating, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.

By refusing to condemn homophobia, I imagine there could be a case for that being conduct outlined above.
7 Australian rugby players refused to wear LGBTQ rainbow logo shirts last week....never seen this Sports War channel- the same item is reported elsewhere

7 Australian rugby players refused to wear LGBTQ rainbow logo shirts last week....never seen this Sports War channel- the same item is reported elsewhere

Was going to report it at the time but thought someone else might have.

The backlash mainly was against the Club and The coach Hassler came out and apologised. I’ve come to the conclusion that you can’t change these people so you have to be inclusive of the Church, and hope within a generation they see the hypocrisy they spout.

As a lawyer I can tell you that your interpretation of the law is wrong
Fair enough. As I said 'I imagine'. That said, if you decided to take a stand against a work event to create an inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ employees and solidarity against homophobia - your position amongst your colleagues and colleagues wouldn't be tenable long term. It might not be 'official' but I've seen it many times over when people end up leaving 'by mutual consent'.

The first point still remains, footballers are role models and therefore there is greater scrutiny on their actions or, in this case, inactions and they to live a very lavish lifestyle as a result of it.

One of the biggest issues with this thread is that it's being turned in a binary thing. I believe that Gueye will be a good signing and brings something to the team, I'm also uncomfortable with it. It is fine to be both. Everton FC is an inclusive workplace and has fans and fan groups that identify as LGTBQ+, therefore it is important that Gueye respects that when he takes a job here.

Last edited:
Fair enough. As I said 'I imagine'. That said, if you decided to take a stand against a work event to create an inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ employees and solidarity against homophobia - your position amongst your colleagues and colleagues wouldn't be tenable long term. It might not be 'official' but I've seen it many times over when people end up leaving 'by mutual consent'.

The first point still remains, footballers are role models and therefore there is greater scrutiny on their actions or, in this case, inactions and they to live a very lavish lifestyle as a result of it.

One of the biggest issues with this thread is that it's being turned in a binary thing. I believe that Gueye will be a good signing and brings something to the team, I'm also comfortable with it. It is fine to be both. Everton FC is an inclusive workplace and has fans and fan groups that identify as LGTBQ+, therefore it is important that Gueye respects that when he takes a job here.
i expect he will. why wouldnt he? the difference is if he were to be told by EFC that `we wear arseless chaps and go to Gay Pride events every other week` he would be within his rights to decline

One of the biggest issues with this thread is that it's being turned in a binary thing. I believe that Gueye will be a good signing and brings something to the team, I'm also uncomfortable with it. It is fine to be both. Everton FC is an inclusive workplace and has fans and fan groups that identify as LGTBQ+, therefore it is important that Gueye respects that when he takes a job here.

Your uncomfortable signing a player because he refused to wear a rainbow shirt?

Mate have a word with yourself

Your uncomfortable signing a player because he refused to wear a rainbow shirt?
I'm uncomfortable with us signing a player who has twice refused to participate in match during which clubs and players show their support for the LGBTQ+ community in the fight against harassment and persecution and right to express their sexual identity.

Given the rising number of homophobic attacks in Liverpool and also the continued stigma attached homosexuality in football, I think it is actually quite a big issue and something we should all consider.

Imagine you're footballer who is still not public about their sexuality due to fear and someone in the dressing room refuses to support your right to express that without being subject to abuse? Wouldn't be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.