2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible to see how Fernandinho, Fabinho, Ndombele, Torreira, Ndidi, Matic, Doucoure, Neves and Rice are all outperforming Gueye over the last 3 years.

Definitely shows PSG up for fools, Kante is also way better than Gueye as the below metric shows.

Can't help but agree with those who say Gueye is average at best lol

P.S. Also interesting to see that Andre Gomes is statistically one of the worst midfielders in the league when it comes to stopping opponents walking through the midfield ... yeah Everton will be sweet when they let Gueye leave and play Delph and Gomes next to each other .... LOLLLLLLLLL

P.S. Also interesting to see that Andre Gomes is statistically one of the worst midfielders in the league when it comes to stopping opponents walking through the midfield ... yeah Everton will be sweet when they let Gueye leave and play Delph and Gomes next to each other .... LOLLLLLLLLL
LOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Its a damn good job footy is played on grass and not chalkboards or I might be concerned.

Incredible to see how Fernandinho, Fabinho, Ndombele, Torreira, Ndidi, Matic, Doucoure, Neves and Rice are all outperforming Gueye over the last 3 years.

Definitely shows PSG up for fools, Kante is also way better than Gueye as the below metric shows.

Can't help but agree with those who say Gueye is average at best lol

View attachment 62972
It shows Gana being the best of everyone besides Wan Bissska. It also doesnt take into account how Gana also has the highest volume of defensive duels in the entire league, right? And he STILL doesn't get dribbled past much.

Beyond that, it omits fouls, too. Even worse, look who he's playing with. Gomes is the worst in that entire chart AND it doesnt include fouls where he'd be even WORSE. It makes it even more amazing.

Then compare passing stats with Ndidi. It's not even close. And he's the only one within a tackle a game of him. That's just absurd.

You don't need a chart to tell you that. He's a terrible defensive player. He could improve under Silva, though. And his passing has looked more expansive and aggressive in the preseason games.

But this is why you need a replacement for Gana that can do some of the same things. They could be more of a sitting 6, but they cannot be slow like Toussart. They have to cover ground. They have to support the press.

But teams will break our pressure and they will target our center. So they have to have range and smarts. If we take better care of the ball - no Walcott, new CF, another attacking option - we could be okay.

It shows Gana being the best of everyone besides Wan Bissska. It also doesnt take into account how Gana also has the highest volume of defensive duels in the entire league, right? And he STILL doesn't get dribbled past much.

Beyond that, it omits fouls, too. Even worse, look who he's playing with. Gomes is the worst in that entire chart AND it doesnt include fouls where he'd be even WORSE. It makes it even more amazing.

Then compare passing stats with Ndidi. It's not even close. And he's the only one within a tackle a game of him. That's just absurd.

That's one way of looking at it, another way would be why is it one of our players has to make an extraordinary amount of tackles per game, higher than most relegation teams?

Is Gueye off the charts as a defence player or are we not effective enough keeping hold of the ball which then leads to a lot of time during games without possession. If we aren't keeping possession could he be part of the problem despite good efforts to make up for that in the tackling stats? That season we also had Lukaku up front for the ball to bounce off of his knees, so it would be interesting to see what the stats for last season were like. The 2017/18 season was a total write off to make any sense from.

I'm not saying we won't miss Gana but if you get someone who is 15/20% better in keeping the ball and moving it forward but only makes 3 tackles a game you probably won't see much difference results wise.

Gomes wasn't asked to do as much defending because of Gueye so calling him garbo doesn't make sense. He looked to get the ball up the field.

That's one way of looking at it, another way would be why is it one of our players has to make an extraordinary amount of tackles per game, higher than most relegation teams?

Is Gueye off the charts as a defence player or are we not effective enough keeping hold of the ball which then leads to a lot of time during games without possession. If we aren't keeping possession could he be part of the problem despite good efforts to make up for that in the tackling stats? That season we also had Lukaku up front for the ball to bounce off of his knees, so it would be interesting to see what the stats for last season were like. The 2017/18 season was a total write off to make any sense from.

I'm not saying we won't miss Gana but if you get someone who is 15/20% better in keeping the ball and moving it forward but only makes 3 tackles a game you probably won't see much difference results wise.
It's exactly what I wrote earlier - taking better care of the ball would be a massive help. However, Gana was very good at keeping the ball, so we'd also lose that, too.

In terms of passing, he was accurate, yet also progressive. His passing % was 87%, yet he led the team in forward passes and led midfield by quite a bit in forward passing %, led the team in final 3rd passes & 2nd in final 3rd passing %. Most progressive passes per 90 of anyone in our midfield.

He didn't lose it off the dribble often, in fact he rarely tried to beat anyone off the dribble, but had one of the highest success rates on the team when he did try. He was 11th on the team in what whoscores calls "bad control per game" and was 9th in being dispossessed. Considering he led the team in touches, that's quite good.

FYI - I do think the biggest culprits in the team in terms of bad control - Richy, Bernard, Gylfi, Walcott, DCL - will improve either by getting better or being replaced. Same with those being dispossessed - Richy, Gomes, DCL. But having a CF that can hold the thing up a bit would really help.

It's exactly what I wrote earlier - taking better care of the ball would be a massive help. However, Gana was very good at keeping the ball, so we'd also lose that, too.

In terms of passing, he was accurate, yet also progressive. His passing % was 87%, yet he led the team in forward passes and led midfield by quite a bit in forward passing %, led the team in final 3rd passes & 2nd in final 3rd passing %. Most progressive passes per 90 of anyone in our midfield.

He didn't lose it off the dribble often, in fact he rarely tried to beat anyone off the dribble, but had one of the highest success rates on the team when he did try. He was 11th on the team in what whoscores calls "bad control per game" and was 9th in being dispossessed. Considering he led the team in touches, that's quite good.

FYI - I do think the biggest culprits in the team in terms of bad control - Richy, Bernard, Gylfi, Walcott, DCL - will improve either by getting better or being replaced. Same with those being dispossessed - Richy, Gomes, DCL. But having a CF that can hold the thing up a bit would really help.

Embrace the new Everton.

Gomes wasn't asked to do as much defending because of Gueye so calling him garbo doesn't make sense. He looked to get the ball up the field.
Not sure how it couldn't. He was dribbled and passed by quite a bit and is he playing defensive mid. I actually think he does okay when pressuring. I don't think he does well sitting back and playing with discipline.

But fair, if he was expected to get the ball up the field, he has to do better than he did last year. I do believe that's a better possibility than him improving defensively. Not sure he has that in him.

Yeah mate attacking players tend to lose the ball more than dms. Gana will be missed dont get me wrong, I dont think hes going to leave a lukaku sized gulf though. I'm looking forward to seeing what we do with the midfield without him, end of the day hes been here a number of years now and we havent challenged for Honours or improved our league position. Not saying that's solely down to him, of course it's not, but for someone who has clearly been instrumental in how weve played for the last 4 seasons what weve done hasn't been remotely good enough. We should be taking psg to the cleaners though, 30mill isnt enough for his level of performance since the turn of the year. Hes a bargain at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.