2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do we ......

Always annoys me that mindset - we need to get out of this small club mentality if we are to ever build a side good enough to win stuff.

If he was being chased by Barcelona or Real Madrid fair enough as kids from abroad dream of playing for those sides as kids however PSG? they were nothing until about 6 years ago and still are a side who dominate in a pub league.

Yes Gana deserves a trophy but so does Coleman, so does Siggurdsson, so does Baines and all the fans.

£40 million upfront or do one - show some cajones Brands man.

Always annoys me that mindset - we need to get out of this small club mentality if we are to ever build a side good enough to win stuff.

If he was being chased by Barcelona or Real Madrid fair enough as kids from abroad dream of playing for those sides as kids however PSG? they were nothing until about 6 years ago and still are a side who dominate in a pub league.

Yes Gana deserves a trophy but so does Coleman, so does Siggurdsson, so does Baines and all the fans.

£40 million upfront or do one - show some cajones Brands man.

French speaking kid dreams of living in Paris - hardly a stretch of the imagination.

Also. Selling your best players for over the top (relative) money is hardly small club mentality, it’s every club on the planet bar about 4 or 5 mentality.

Unpopular opinion:

He has to tackle to win the ball back because he loses the ball a lot.

There's that, Grouch.

But isn't it more a case that he also wins the ball back because all of our other players give it away, too?

@Tubey makes a brilliant point about Gana being one of the best players in the world at his role. So I'd really like us to keep him because good players help you improve and I'm sick of us selling our good players right when we look to be building something. I think this flippant attitude that'd be fine is based really on nothing much at all. Any time he wasn't in the side last season, we were badly exposed.

So, it's on Brands - and massively so - to find a player who can come in and at least do a bit of the job if Silva is gonna insist on playing a similar way with pretty much seven attackers and three (DM and two CBs) players staying back.

Or, Silva has to adapt. I think it'll be a case of the two things merging together, and at least Delph gives us options to play in one or two ways. But it's gonna take time and it just seems an unnecessary risk unless we get silly money. And anything south of £30m is not silly money.

Last edited:

But its the rate in which we do it thats a concern since Moshiri came in - maybe Moyes played a part in a reluctance to sell however the fact remains we'll have sold atleast one of our better starting 11 players in each season under Moshiri's ownership.

As I said I dont have a problem selling if its going to benefit the squad i.e getting massive money to reinvest in 3-4 other positions however the move for Gana isnt going to allow us to do that likewise there are not many like for like replacements out there who we could attract/afford.

Ndidi is as close as we could get imo and Leicester aint selling him to us.

Right he's 30 and selling a player who we bought for 7m for over 30m will massively help us with ffp. He is one of the best in Europe for what he does but tactically he does have his weaknesses.

Gana's biggest strengths is actually one if the sides biggest weaknesses. For gana to work at his maximum effectiveness you basically have to give him a free role in order for him to run around and put fires out. Unfortunately this leaves our midfield wide open. If gana takes the ball it doesn't matter but if he gets passed round or misses with his tackle we are left exposed.

Having a player who is more likely to be more disciplined positionally and a better passing range may be more beneficial to the team in the long term.

Think of it like this between tosun ad dcl. Tosun is the greater goal threat but Dcl is better for the way we play and by playing Dcl because he suits our style more we as a team actually score more goals.

French speaking kid dreams of living in Paris - hardly a stretch of the imagination.

Also. Selling your best players for over the top (relative) money is hardly small club mentality, it’s every club on the planet bar about 4 or 5 mentality.

Nothing stopping him living in Paris when he retires mate/ his contract ends here - I just find the whole "he supported PSG as a young lad so let him leave" tale to be crap when he probably didnt know what a PSG was until a few years back when the Qatari's rolled into town.

£30 million gets you a Mitrovic these days - Dunk is going for £45 million, some fella called Joe Linton £36 million, Maguire £80 million an obese Rom over £70 mil

Gana is worth so much more to us regardless of his age - we'll regret selling him especially on the cheap.

Nothing stopping him living in Paris when he retires mate/ his contract ends here - I just find the whole "he supported PSG as a young lad so let him leave" tale to be crap when he probably didnt know what a PSG was until a few years back when the Qatari's rolled into town.

£30 million gets you a Mitrovic these days - Dunk is going for £45 million, some fella called Joe Linton £36 million, Maguire £80 million an obese Rom over £70 mil

Gana is worth so much more to us regardless of his age - we'll regret selling him especially on the cheap.

He wants to play for PSG. Sometimes it's about respecting a players wishes. Gana deserves this move at this stage if his career.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with @ForeverBlue92, but this guy has been easily our most consistently good player for the last few seasons and we should be at least slapping a big price on him. He has at least 3 years left in the tank for top level football and will be very difficult to replace. I do have some hope that Brands and Silva have another system or plan that doesn't need a player like him, but in the meantime, our asking price should reasonably reflect how important he is to us

You use Mitrovic as a yard stick whilst blatantly ignoring that it was a Chinese club, of whom are famous for paying ridiculous sums for bang average players.

Dunk Maguire & Lukaku are 26-27 plus 2 play in a position where it’s accepted you generally mature around the 30 mark and so again, loaded comparison.

Gana wants to go, I’m almost sure of it. Is it hard for you to believe that his best spell for us was after we rejected PSG so he’d keep them looking at him for the summer?

FYI - PSG has Ronaldinho (amongst others) playing for them before the big bucks came in - so they were hardly obscure.

You use Mitrovic as a yard stick whilst blatantly ignoring that it was a Chinese club, of whom are famous for paying ridiculous sums for bang average players.

Dunk Maguire & Lukaku are 26-27 plus 2 play in a position where it’s accepted you generally mature around the 30 mark and so again, loaded comparison.

Gana wants to go, I’m almost sure of it. Is it hard for you to believe that his best spell for us was after we rejected PSG so he’d keep them looking at him for the summer?

FYI - PSG has Ronaldinho (amongst others) playing for them before the big bucks came in - so they were hardly obscure.

I just find it weird how we have fans so desperate to sell our best players.

Same way if someone comes in for Richarlison it'll be "let him go the lad deserves to be winning trophies" wtf whats the point of moving to BMD and spending loads on players if our intention is to forever be a middle of the road club?

Dont get me wrong most clubs are selling clubs but the clubs that sell and progress (Kopites, Athletico, Sevilla, Dortmund, Spurs) etc sell their players for big enough money to be able to reinvest it adequately.

We are selling a top player for £30 odd million and any replacement who wont likely be as good will cost £20-25 million - its not worth it mate.

PSG are loaded and will be getting about £90 million+ for Neymar - if they want Gana that bad give them a price that reflects his importance to us and its upto them to match it.

Palace have done the same with Zaha who is also desperate to leave to his boyhood club.

I just find it weird how we have fans so desperate to sell our best players.

Same way if someone comes in for Richarlison it'll be "let him go the lad deserves to be winning trophies" wtf whats the point of moving to BMD and spending loads on players if our intention is to forever be a middle of the road club?

Dont get me wrong most clubs are selling clubs but the clubs that sell and progress (Kopites, Athletico, Sevilla, Dortmund, Spurs) etc sell their players for big enough money to be able to reinvest it adequately.

We are selling a top player for £30 odd million and any replacement who wont likely be as good will cost £20-25 million - its not worth it mate.

PSG are loaded and will be getting about £90 million+ for Neymar - if they want Gana that bad give them a price that reflects his importance to us and its upto them to match it.

Palace have done the same with Zaha who is also desperate to leave to his boyhood club.
We bought Gueye for 7 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.