2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with that, but you've just sold 9 players to sign 3, you still need to fill the other 6 spots in your squad with quality rather than more of the Bolasie, Dowell, Besic filler that can never be used.

Does his job well pressing and intercepting and we missed him versus City but against Watford and Newcastle they pressed him with the ball because they know his passing is his weakness. We need someone to rotate/eventually replace him in the DM who can also distribute the ball aswell.
Uh Gana was 2nd on the team with 80 passes and had a 91% completion % against Newcastle. They didn't press at all. Stop making stuff up.

He wasn't good against Watford, but neither was Gomes.

Youre forgetting that selling players brings in fees.

Walcott + Bolasie + Onyekuru out would cover a new player like Lozano.

Sigurdsson, Vlasic and Dowell leaving could bring in Ndombele.

The same goes for Gana, him Besic and Schneiderlin leaving could cover the cost of Doucoure.

Its all down to Silva to work with Brands on the signings...
I don't disagree with that, but you've just sold 9 players to sign 3, you still need to fill the other 6 spots in your squad with quality rather than more of the Bolasie, Dowell, Besic filler that can never be used.

Im assuming you were replying to my post above.

Selling Walcott / Bolasie /Onyekuru loses 1 player currently in the squad.

Selling Sigurdsson / Vlasic / Dowell loses 2 players in the squad, one of which rarely makes the matchday squad. He can be 'replaced' by Lookman or Bernard, effectively losing 1 player in the squad.

Selling Gana / Besic / Schneiderin loses 2 players in the squad with Schneiderlin never getting on the pitch and could be replaced by Baningime or williams.

Its all hypothetical of course but the theory would be that selling 9 players we would only need to replace with 3 starters.

Generating a massive pot of wages and perhaps £120-140mil for 3 starters.

Selling Sigurdsson / Vlasic / Dowell loses 2 players in the squad, one of which rarely makes the matchday squad. He can be 'replaced' by Lookman or Bernard, effectively losing 1 player in the squad.

Selling Gana / Besic / Schneiderin loses 2 players in the squad with Schneiderlin never getting on the pitch and could be replaced by Baningime or williams.

Its all hypothetical of course but the theory would be that selling 9 players we would only need to replace with 3 starters.

Oh Zat, if only it was all as easy as you make out.

Its actual FM stuff tho sadly Zatmania.

Its logic.

Its Zat logic.

You are selling half the squad, for no actual reason, we have plenty of deadwood, granted not much of it is worth a bean, but LOGIC suggests you sell deadwood, before you sell actual first team players.

Gana for example is our best midfielder, you might not think hes any good and thats your right, I cant tell how football is played.

Walcott is the only right forward in the squad who has scored a goal or made an assist.

Iceland is our 2nd highest goalscorer.

And your logic suggest we just sell them?

Logic suggests we sell the deadwood, buy new players, if and when the new players are better than the old players, we sell the old players and buy new players, logic to me isnt selling half the first team.

If it was that easy the club would do it Zat. I doubt anyone at the club wants mirallas and bolasie etc still on our books

Sure, thats why i was saying its theoretical.

Its Zat logic.

You are selling half the squad, for no actual reason, we have plenty of deadwood, granted not much of it is worth a bean, but LOGIC suggests you sell deadwood, before you sell actual first team players.

Gana for example is our best midfielder, you might not think hes any good and thats your right, I cant tell how football is played.

Walcott is the only right forward in the squad who has scored a goal or made an assist.

Logic suggests we sell the deadwood, buy new players, if and when the new players are better than the old players, we sell the old players and buy new players, logic to me isnt selling half the first team.

I was giving examples of how to cut down the squad + generate revenue in fees and wages.

Im not sure how its 'half the squad' when most of them arent either in the squad or dont get a minute of game time

Also, how to strengthen the team if theres no money coming in for sales?

Finally, Gana isnt our best midfielder...Gomes is.

By a mile.

Sure, thats why i was saying its theoretical.

I was giving examples of how to cut down the squad + generate revenue in fees and wages.

Im not sure how its 'half the squad' when most of them arent either in the squad or dont get a minute of game time

Also, how to strengthen the team if theres no money coming in for sales?

Finally, Gana isnt our best midfielder...Gomes is.

By a mile.

Ok Zat, lets just sell everyone, you win.

Its Zat logic.

Exactly my point in the original post. There is a lot of dead weight in the squad, which is 30 players large, not just a match day squad of 18 who are selected.

To be a top team, you don't just need a great starting XI, you need a great bench and then you need good depth outside of the match-day squad to cover for injuries / multiple competitions / Xmas schedule / international weeks etc. Logic dictates that you work on replacing the players that MOST need replacing throughout the squad and the starting lineup, rather than one of the better players in the starting lineup just because he can be upgraded (for a large fee).

Managing a roster is surely a very challenging role which requires multi-year planning and structure.

@Zatara the reality is that selling 9 players in your 30 man squad mean that you need to replace them with 9 players ... sure some of them can come from the youth team, but that just perpetuates the problem of filling half the squad with players who simply are not going to challenge for a starting lineup position in a team that wants to become a challenger to the EPL Top 4.

Exactly my point in the original post. There is a lot of dead weight in the squad, which is 30 players large, not just a match day squad of 18 who are selected.

To be a top team, you don't just need a great starting XI, you need a great bench and then you need good depth outside of the match-day squad to cover for injuries / multiple competitions / Xmas schedule / international weeks etc. Logic dictates that you work on replacing the players that MOST need replacing throughout the squad and the starting lineup, rather than one of the better players in the starting lineup just because he can be upgraded (for a large fee).

Managing a roster is surely a very challenging role which requires multi-year planning and structure.

@Zatara the reality is that selling 9 players in your 30 man squad mean that you need to replace them with 9 players ... sure some of them can come from the youth team, but that just perpetuates the problem of filling half the squad with players who simply are not going to challenge for a starting lineup position in a team that wants to become a challenger to the EPL Top 4.

So youre counting players NOT in the current squad...i see lol

So youre counting players NOT in the current squad...i see lol
This was my original post ... looking at Everton's 30 man squad, it seems the only guys not in that submitted list for this season are Vlasic (on loan) and Browning (U23) ... the rest of them are in that 30 man squad:
- Coleman needs to be replaced. He either needs to become a back-up right back, or a back-up also needs to be found.
- Tosun has proved incapable of leading the line, a striker should be the top priority.
- Walcott is past it, and really hasn't been consistently up to the level for roughly 10 years now, outside of a good game or two now and then.
- The youngsters coming through that won't be good enough e.g. Davies, Calvert-Lewin, Holgate. Most likely you can chuck Lookman, Vlasic, Dowell, Browning and Baningime are in this bracket too, none of them have shown they will be proper world class in the future.
- There is so much other deadweight throughout the squad that needs to be cleared out e.g. Baines, Schneirderlin, Jagielka, Niasse, Stekelenburg, McCarthy.

If we buy another CM as long as we have Europa there will be enough games to play Gomes, Gueye and the new player. If he is somewhere between a 6 and a 8 you rotate depending on the game. If you are going to see plenty of the ball its Gueye that misses out. In the games where we might not have as much possession it is Gueye who plays alongside one of the other two. I understand the argument that Gueye is sometimes sloppy but you can find faults with all players he brings a lot of good work in the number 6 role. I would have had him on the bench in the double header against Newcastle and Watford where we needed more creativity but he would have started if fit against RS and City as we need to win the ball back more. A squad should be 16-18 good enough to start regularly and a further 7-10 who are decent but not quite top level. You can only have 22-25 top level players when competing for titles and in CL season in season out a d even then its difficult to keep them all happy. I would definitely keep Gueye for the next 18 months and then see where we are after that. A silly money bid would need to be considered but I personally can't see it.

Selling Siggurdsson and Gana is absolute madness. We can probably replace Gana which I get, if we can get a decent fee for him! But Siggurdsson is a player we can't get rid of until we have a brilliant replacement, he has a massive impact on most games.

That being said, I'd like someone who can put a penalty away

Status
Not open for further replies.