2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been arguing this for a while.
It would seem the obvious solution to have Gylfi deeper.
He's got the speed to get up the field and like all good box to boxers, he's got the vision to find and move into the right space and the skills to do the damage. Overall these attributes give the side extra dynamic in their attacking threat.

But its no use if we can't get the ball out of the back and its a justified argument Gylfi is not good enough in tight spaces to receive the ball centrally under pressure.
The obvious alternatives are:
- to go Leceister on it and play more long balls from Pickford and press - you don't need a 3 man midfield for this, you can use a flat four with compressed space between the lines (sacchi's 25yard rule).
- or replace Gylfi with a better player on the ball in tight spaces, with Bernard looking like the best options.

3 basic options that would all work better than what we have now.

I think... and it's purely my opinion, that Gylfi is played in that 'second striker' role because he is so key to our press.

I also think that's a fair assessment. It does mean, though, that we rely on others to get the ball to him in the final third, and if that's not Gomes then it falls on Gana and we inevitably just go wide.

That's not an excuse for Gylfi to not play well or not be better when he does get the ball. But, he has his limitations in terms of he's not a player that can beat four men on the run from deep. He relies on quick passing and interchanges on the edge of the area.

But like you say, off the ball his movement is, from deep, very decent. He might not be the quickest but he's clever with his runs and finding those pockets of space.

If don't see why it couldn't be tried.

It would also probably mean Richarlison could play his natural 'wide forward' role in a proper front three - and it'd need to be a proper front three that stayed high up the pitch and all interchanged.

I've not seen much of Bernard so far that suggests he'd be better centrally. Honestly, I'd say of the two, Lookman would be more suited to it.

I agree. We are getting thumped by both big and little teams so I can’t see why we would sell our best defensive midfielder. I don’t believe we need to sell to buy from a financial point of view, but If Gueye is sold then we clearly are.

It's wages. That's the issue.

We have a combined 700k (approx) spent on players per-week who aren't contributing anything. I don't just mean playing badly, I mean literally not in the squad.

It's wages. That's the issue.

We have a combined 700k (approx) spent on players per-week who aren't contributing anything. I don't just mean playing badly, I mean literally not in the squad.

Think that is a (very) conservative estimate of the wasted wages mate.

He’s great at winning the ball back and at times he’s been one of our better more consistent players. The amount of times I’ve seen him give the ball away when he’s effectively playing as a third centreback when the full backs are pushed on is ridiculous. The opposition know that if you cut out passing channels to Gomes then eventually Coleman or Keane will hit a poor pass into Gueye who will miscontrol and they’ll be in. When he is on the ball his passing range is also very limited.

If PSG want to give us over 30 mill for him then there are better players we could get in this position and make money on it.

I think... and it's purely my opinion, that Gylfi is played in that 'second striker' role because he is so key to our press.

I also think that's a fair assessment. It does mean, though, that we rely on others to get the ball to him in the final third, and if that's not Gomes then it falls on Gana and we inevitably just go wide.

That's not an excuse for Gylfi to not play well or not be better when he does get the ball. But, he has his limitations in terms of he's not a player that can beat four men on the run from deep. He relies on quick passing and interchanges on the edge of the area.

But like you say, off the ball his movement is, from deep, very decent. He might not be the quickest but he's clever with his runs and finding those pockets of space.

If don't see why it couldn't be tried.

It would also probably mean Richarlison could play his natural 'wide forward' role in a proper front three - and it'd need to be a proper front three that stayed high up the pitch and all interchanged.

I've not seen much of Bernard so far that suggests he'd be better centrally. Honestly, I'd say of the two, Lookman would be more suited to it.

He is in my opinion a critical part of our team. We lost the two games he didn't play in and we looked pretty bad in those games too (granted we've had our share of games where we've looked bad with him in the team). If we cared about position this year, there is no way we should sell him now. If we care about the FA Cup, then I don't think we should sell him either.

Playing Siggy deeper is definitely not the answer in my opinion because that prevents Gomes from having freedom. Our options are basically Beni, Schneids and McCarthy. None of these have even made the bench in recent weeks. Silva has but Davies on the bench, so I can only assume that he doesn't rate the other three. So we would need to replace him either now or in the summer.

If Gomes was already here permanently, it would be easier, but without him guaranteed to be here next year, its more complicated. I'd sell only if we can acquire a younger, more complete defensive midfielder in this window.

He is in my opinion a critical part of our team. We lost the two games he didn't play in and we looked pretty bad in those games too (granted we've had our share of games where we've looked bad with him in the team). If we cared about position this year, there is no way we should sell him now. If we care about the FA Cup, then I don't think we should sell him either.

Playing Siggy deeper is definitely not the answer in my opinion because that prevents Gomes from having freedom. Our options are basically Beni, Schneids and McCarthy. None of these have even made the bench in recent weeks. Silva has but Davies on the bench, so I can only assume that he doesn't rate the other three. So we would need to replace him either now or in the summer.

If Gomes was already here permanently, it would be easier, but without him guaranteed to be here next year, its more complicated. I'd sell only if we can acquire a younger, more complete defensive midfielder in this window.

He's critical in the games we don't have much of the ball but we're not good enough overall to get a result in them games anyway ( the big 6 )

Against most other teams he is on the ball a lot and isn't good enough with it

Would 1 million percent sell if we got a good offer to get a more all rounded player to help in the games were we should be winning and aren't ( see the weekend for example )

Think that is a (very) conservative estimate of the wasted wages mate.

Had a little read of a Villa forum last night, they seem to think they were covering ALL of Bolasies 70k a week, would be interested to see what %% we are paying on other players loans. I mean clearly we arent covering Sandros wages, but all the others might be.

He’s great at winning the ball back and at times he’s been one of our better more consistent players. The amount of times I’ve seen him give the ball away when he’s effectively playing as a third centreback when the full backs are pushed on is ridiculous. The opposition know that if you cut out passing channels to Gomes then eventually Coleman or Keane will hit a poor pass into Gueye who will miscontrol and they’ll be in. When he is on the ball his passing range is also very limited.

If PSG want to give us over 30 mill for him then there are better players we could get in this position and make money on it.

I think the main crux is mate, while this is true if we switch systems (which we probably do need to do eventually), are those players available now? The answer's unlikely to be yes.

We need another midfielder as it is. Like, desperately. Sell Gana, we need two.

Had a little read of a Villa forum last night, they seem to think they were covering ALL of Bolasies 70k a week, would be interested to see what %% we are paying on other players loans. I mean clearly we arent covering Sandros wages, but all the others might be.

I was very surprised, thought villa would have been paying about half it.

Can anyone point to any objective measure that would indicate Gana gives the ball away a lot? I keep hearing this and cannot understand after watching this team all year why ANYONE would believe he is a problem in terms of ball retention. I understand the critcism of his passing game - it's not especially expansive, even if he does pass it forward, as he does. I got that. But we have SO many players that are constantly loosing the ball either due to poor decision making or just technical deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.