2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a poor game but that happens to absolutely everyone. I just think we need a bit more rotation in midfield to keep them more fresh and motivated. As I think its highly unlikely we get anything from this one, I think bringing in Garner and Doucoure for a game to spell Gana and Onana would be good.
Gana. Onana. Am I good?

The forwards just aren't making enough intelligent runs. Atm his options to his own team mates is backwards or sideways most of the time. I think this is causing the extra time on the ball a lot of the time.

Just watch Gray and Gordon's movement without the ball, it's absolutely pathetic and I'm shocked if they don't get an absolute earful after from the management team after performances like that.

I said to my mate who was watching it with me, just watch them once they've played a pass or lost the ball, 100% 6 seconds later they'll be in exactly the same spot as they were previously. It's like their brain switches off and doesn't realise it might be a good idea to move and look to receive the ball again.

Absolutely dreadful players off the ball and it'll need addressing in January. I think if you look at the team it's fair to say the defenders and keeper are doing their job, the midfield (to a certain extent though its still a little hit and miss) are doing their job, then you look st the front 3 and can say with absolute certainty that 2 out of the 3 on any given week simply aren't good enough.

Gueye looks up and has Gray picking his nose on one side, Gordon hiding behind his marker the other side and thinks "ffs, backwards pass it is then".

Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t seen anything in Garner yet that warrants him starting over Gueye
Well how about Garner starting stead of Onana who does one good thing every quarter of an hour then goes missing or stands around passing the ball mostly backwards or sideways when he gets more adventurous, yes I know he’’s one for the future but at present he’s not much cop.

He needs to pass the ball far quicker. He slows down far too many decent attacks, and creates far too many counter attack opportunities.
Think he’s been used to Neymar and Mbappe making runs as soon as he gets the ball. Now he looks up and doesn’t really have anything on. This means he has to hold the ball for longer until someone gets into space for the pass. It’s all a work in progress.

He needs to pass the ball far quicker. He slows down far too many decent attacks, and creates far too many counter attack opportunities.
Yes and no - sometimes there’s an easy ball for him to play and he dwells on it, other times (and this happened a lot yesterday) there are no options ahead of him because Onana, Iwobi, Gray and Gordon aren’t making themselves available and hiding behind other teams players. They need to do much more to get into space to receive a pass.

We’re also playing him too many hospital passes, giving him the ball facing his own goal in really tight spaces with opposition players bearing down on him.

Defensively he’s made a big improvement for us, need Onana and Iwobi to be doing more in terms of ball playing in the midfield - Gana is what he is.

Just watch Gray and Gordon's movement without the ball, it's absolutely pathetic and I'm shocked if they don't get an absolute earful after from the management team after performances like that.

I said to my mate who was watching it with me, just watch them once they've played a pass or lost the ball, 100% 6 seconds later they'll be in exactly the same spot as they were previously. It's like their brain switches off and doesn't realise it might be a good idea to move and look to receive the ball again.

Absolutely dreadful players off the ball and it'll need addressing in January. I think if you look at the team it's fair to say the defenders and keeper are doing their job, the midfield (to a certain extent though its still a little hit and miss) are doing their job, then you look st the front 3 and can say with absolute certainty that 2 out of the 3 on any given week simply aren't good enough.

Gueye looks up and has Gray picking his nose on one side, Gordon hiding behind his marker the other side and thinks "ffs, backwards pass it is then".
Totally agree they have 1 run in them and it's a straight line and very easy to read. They also give up a lot on defensive duties and sulk when it doesn't work out. 10 year old do that.

Exactly they are a defenders dream and our midfielders nightmare. Gray is better on the ball but both just aren't doing nowhere near enough and can not complete the basics currently.

The defence is good at defending and the midfield are still gelling but the amount of chances we give teams it's only a matter of time before we get slaughtered 5-0 .

That starts with the front three pressing , providing an outlet and linking up. January can't come fast enough

When you have average wingers like we do you need overlapping full backs to create space. Yesterday we had neither for most of the game and then Patterson had to defend when he came on.

Until this changes you cannot expect our midfielders to create anything and creating isn't IGG's job anyway.

When you have average wingers like we do you need overlapping full backs to create space. Yesterday we had neither for most of the game and then Patterson had to defend when he came on.

Until this changes you cannot expect our midfielders to create anything and creating isn't IGG's job anyway.

tbf I think Mykolenko got forward the most I've ever seen him yesterday. Unfortunately for him, Gray chooses to ignore him time after time

tbf I think Mykolenko got forward the most I've ever seen him yesterday. Unfortunately for him, Gray chooses to ignore him time after time
I don't think he got forward that much and I don't blame him for ignoring him because he's not prolific in the final third.

Looks very much like a player just trying to get through to the World Cup in these last few weeks

Would be swerving him for Garner on Saturday
Either this - which is also my suspicion - or he's past it. I wasn't in favour of his return, and it's fair to say he has lived down to my expectations so far. He has a big six months after the World Cup if he is to be part of the plans for 23/24.

Status
Not open for further replies.