I dont know if anyone has mentioned it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
.... and some no doubt didn't click on as I have reminded one or two.

But thats Europe assured as well.

Time to kick back and put the feet up.

Hope we give Baxter and Agard some pitch-time in the last few games. Would be great for their development to get a run out in a low-pressure premier league match and maybe grab a goal (like Victor and Vaughany before them).

Are you sure? I thought they changed it so that only the winners get it, otherwise it goes to league placing? Which would mean that the teams up to Wigan could still catch us.

Back-door route into Europe is shut for FA Cup final losers in new Uefa shake-up
Until now, beaten finalists have been allowed into the Uefa Cup whenever the winners have already qualified for the Champions League, a scenario that occurred repeatedly in England until this year’s final when Portsmouth, who finished eighth in the Premier League, beat Championship side Cardiff.

Uefa want as many spots as possible to be allocated on the basis of league placings. It is all part of a campaign to rebrand the Uefa Cup, which is expected to be renamed the Uefa Europa League as of 2009-10 when a new group stage system will be introduced to mirror the Champions League format.

“With a new format you need a new identity,” said Uefa spokesman William Gaillard. “The tournament is supposed to be for winners, not runners-up.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-shut-for-FA-Cup-final-losers---Football.html

Last edited:
Are you sure? I thought they changed it so that only the winners get it, otherwise it goes to league placing? Which would mean that the teams up to Wigan could still catch us.l

Hmm, not just me thinking so, a few have said the same...

Everton booked a return trip to Wembley for the FA Cup Final after prevailing over Manchester United in the drama of a penalty shootout. An admittedly poor match fraught with tension between Sir Alex Ferguson's young XI and David Moyes's determined warriors dragged into extra time with precious few chances for either side, though the Blues were the better side in the final half hour. When Tim Cahill skied the Blues' first penalty over the bar, though, it looked like another day of heartbreak was on the cards. But Howard saved the Red Devils' first two spot kicks and Everton were faultless from then on, Phil Jagielka converting the crucial penalty to send Moyes's boys through to a Final date with Chelsea on 30 May and ensure European football at Goodison next season

Hmm, not just me thinking so, a few have said the same...

Everton booked a return trip to Wembley for the FA Cup Final after prevailing over Manchester United in the drama of a penalty shootout. An admittedly poor match fraught with tension between Sir Alex Ferguson's young XI and David Moyes's determined warriors dragged into extra time with precious few chances for either side, though the Blues were the better side in the final half hour. When Tim Cahill skied the Blues' first penalty over the bar, though, it looked like another day of heartbreak was on the cards. But Howard saved the Red Devils' first two spot kicks and Everton were faultless from then on, Phil Jagielka converting the crucial penalty to send Moyes's boys through to a Final date with Chelsea on 30 May and ensure European football at Goodison next season
Well that will ding-dang-do for Me, just hope we get some Spanish teams this time to save me a bit of brass ;)lol

I remember the same as MikelsGoat from threads earlier in the season.

(Just because random news blogs get accepted into Google News doesn't make Lyndon or any of the other more dross-y amateur sites more believable.)

being in the final does get us into europe even if we lose, there's a thread on bluekipper about it. It says so on the uefa and everton websites in the news archives. (i cant post a link cos i need to have 10 posts or more!)

being in the final does get us into europe even if we lose, there's a thread on bluekipper about it. It says so on the uefa and everton websites in the news archives. (i cant post a link cos i need to have 10 posts or more!)

They are super and im a clown.

Last edited:
Hmmm

Can your club make it to Europe? The answer may be Yes... | Mail Online
OK, let’s say one of those clubs already occupying a European place wins the FA Cup. Do the FA Cup runners-up then win a place in Europe?

No. For the first time in such circumstances FA Cup finalists will not qualify for Europe. In the event that the FA Cup winners have already qualified for Europe, final positions in the Premier League will decide who gets the third Europa League place.

But...

UEFA European Football :: View topic - English FA Cup "losers"

I finally found something.

From page 9 of December's UEFA direct - discussing a meeting of the General Secretaries/Chief Executives of the member associations late in October.

"The new name of the competition was generally popular, while the Executive Committee's recent decision to allow losing domestic cup finalists to be entered for the UEFA Europa League if the cup winners qualified for the Champions League (which was the case in the UEFA Cup) got an even higher number of votes in favour".

And on page 14 of the November issue: "Losing domestic cup finalists will still be able to play in the UEFA Cup (UEFA Europa League) if the winners qualify for the UEFA Champions League. In taking this decision, the Executive Committee was anxious to stress the importance of the domestic cup competitions and to preserve their appeal".

Status
Not open for further replies.