'Howard's Way' Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d have put Ball further forward...it’s where he liked to be anyway.....
Urm still who would have dropped out of that team upfront.....we had injuries imo poor Reidy would have been a bit part player unjustifiably its different eras but even if he had been around he would have been a bit part player unless he blended in so well the Catt would have used him no doubts .....

Urm still who would have dropped out of that team upfront.....we had injuries imo poor Reidy would have been a bit part player unjustifiably its different eras but even if he had been around he would have been a bit part player unless he blended in so well the Catt would have used him no doubts .....

Perhaps, but Kendall missed a dozen or so games and Whittle played half a dozen. Reid would have got 20 games.....

think Reidy and Bracewell would have been the equivalent of Harper and Richardson myself. Trevor Steven and Sheedy for me would have replaced Morrissey and Husband, Van Den Hauwe would have replaced Sandy Brown and Neville would be number one. Maybe Ratcliffe for John Hurst. Unsure who would have been the centre forward.

think Reidy and Bracewell would have been the equivalent of Harper and Richardson myself. Trevor Steven and Sheedy for me would have replaced Morrissey and Husband, Van Den Hauwe would have replaced Sandy Brown and Neville would be number one. Maybe Ratcliffe for John Hurst. Unsure who would have been the centre forward.
Two totally different sides Colin Harvey swayed towards the trinity midfield side for pure classy football p?us that side o oh had 3 in midfield. But the four in midfield in the 1980, team won more .....
Karen them both for pure football the 1970 were something to be seen - two great teams from two different eras .......not interchangeable imo.......

Two totally different sides Colin Harvey swayed towards the trinity midfield side for pure classy football p?us that side o oh had 3 in midfield. But the four in midfield in the 1980, team won more .....
Karen them both for pure football the 1970 were something to be seen - two great teams from two different eras .......not interchangeable imo.......

never seen the film " If". Probably right but my team would be

1) Southall, 2) Wright, 3) Van Den Hauwe, 4) Ratcliffe, 5) Labone, Ball, Harvey, Kendall, Steven, Royle, Sheedy.

I think it's fair to say 85/86 was notable because it was the breakthrough championship, the first since 1970, even today quite a few could name all the side plus squad members who helped out from time to time, a largely injury free season with a very settled side - a first class eleven plus Harper and Richardson.

86,/87 was infinitely more difficult with major players missing for long periods, a title that took far more managerial input as adversity and major setbacks were a constant. It was far more meritorious in that so many squad players had to play huge roles, it was far more a championship won by the whole squad plus emergency signings as Howard had to dip into the transfer market a few times to cover areas where we were chronically short.of players.

Dave Watson and Ian Snodin were the big statement signings but just as vital were Gary Langley, Paul Wilkinson, Neill Adams, Paul Power and Wayne Clarke the latter being prime examples of Howard acting decisively to strengtheni in depth, as unlike in 85/86 there was absolutely no choice, he had to. Even Bobby Mimms stepped up in goal early season for a long run in the side.

What an achievement winning against all the odds was in 87, it was the season we really confirmed ourselves as a top side in the 80's, one with the resources to cope with any adversity.

It needed a top manager to coax these 'lesser' players to step up and perform so well though and the tragedy of it was, with no Europe on offer, Howard would be tempted away to try his luck in Spain. Colin Harvey took over but perhaps found that being a first class coach doesn't always translate so easily to managerial success - a lesson others have learned since.

Status
Not open for further replies.