Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=youtube;Mdd1vIcEmME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdd1vIcEmME[/video]

This where the bar is set at Goodison. Tim knows that. Don't get me wrong I rate Tim and always have. He could pull off some the reaction saves in that video and I'm sure it wouldn't take long to find some similar ones on his own youtube reels.

The creeping changes to the ball leading towards what we used to call "continental goalkeeping" in a slightly derisory way becoming the norm made Nev's and afterwards Schmeichel's old school handling and command of the entire area. Martyn, being older, also displayed those qualities. Howard is our first long term keeper of the newer breed.

Tim is a great shot stopper, his reactions are excellent. His distribution is fine. But he also has weaknesses and some of those have been evident for a long time. His 10 year stint almost counting against him as we can think of more examples of him being lobbed due to poor positioning or unawareness or failing to deal with a ball which probably should have been his.

From my point of view goalkeeping as a whole right now doesn't compare favorably to the golden age in the 80's and 90's. Add in that the shadow of the Binman between the sticks looms at Goodison as one of the best of that era and Tim's flaws are going to be a big itch to some.

For me I'm happy to stick with Howard for now especially looking around at some big money keepers who've arrived and either failed or not looked worth the price. Robles has potential but should also be approaching the age he wants first team football so the competitiveness should be there.

we'll probably never get as good as southall again so doesn't make too much sence using him as a guideline.

howard's done alright last few months thankfully

It's a comparison that will always be made by those of us who witnessed him play though mate, however unfair. Agree Howard has been fine overall this season.

Could well be that having Robles as an actual challenge has helped. I think a lot of people in this thread have agreed that he just needed some competition. He now has.

He's been getting competition for his international spot as well from Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando. It seems to be working. His form has definitely shaped up.

(Rimando is the keeper for Real Salt Lake, currently one of the best sides in MLS, for those curious)

He's been getting competition for his international spot as well from Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando. It seems to be working. His form has definitely shaped up.

(Rimando is the keeper for Real Salt Lake, currently one of the best sides in MLS, for those curious)

Sign him up!... just kidding.

I think it's a bit late for Guzan to push Howard for his place but I think that once this cycle is done in 2014, Guzan will be the main USMNT goalkeeper barring someone new coming through.

I think it's a bit late for Guzan to push Howard for his place but I think that once this cycle is done in 2014, Guzan will be the main USMNT goalkeeper barring someone new coming through.

Good assessment, me thinks.

I did not know Nick Rimando was the same age as Howard. That leaves the USMNT with Guzan and, if I had to guess, Sean Johnson of the Chicago Fire for the 2015 Gold Cup, a hypothetical 2016 Copa America, and the 2018 World Cup cycle.

I feel pretty good about that, personally. We've been pretty lucky to have a keeper such as Howard as US Soccer has (knock on wood) made the final steps towards maturity, and the future of the net appears to be in good hands.

I know I personally view the man through rose-colored glasses. It's been that way for me since the stellar 2009 Confederations Cup performance. Sh**, he's a pretty big part of the reason I'm here at GOT now.

I was indeed curious. Any sign of a move to Europe for him?

Good assessment, me thinks.

I did not know Nick Rimando was the same age as Howard. That leaves the USMNT with Guzan and, if I had to guess, Sean Johnson of the Chicago Fire for the 2015 Gold Cup, a hypothetical 2016 Copa America, and the 2018 World Cup cycle.

I feel pretty good about that, personally. We've been pretty lucky to have a keeper such as Howard as US Soccer has (knock on wood) made the final steps towards maturity, and the future of the net appears to be in good hands.

I know I personally view the man through rose-colored glasses. It's been that way for me since the stellar 2009 Confederations Cup performance. Sh**, he's a pretty big part of the reason I'm here at GOT now.

This is the guy that trialled/trained with us a few years back I think

on that vid...1:40 in theres a shot - similar to Cabaye but hit even better.

The big man just moves across and tips it over.

Think Howards positioning lets him down too often tbh. Robles didnt exactly cover himself in glory in the CO Cup though so hes safe for a little while yet.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.