Howard Kendall RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
His birthday today. Still so sadly missed.

DAaHiNKWAAAnqLk.jpg:small
Thank you Howard for so many amazing memories that season.

Walked into an alehouse on Renshaw street which had a few United lads in there who were talking about Kendall. I hadn't heard the news and was genuinely gutted when I found out. Was meeting my mates for a bevy who Howard and his team gave great memories to. I love the story of him screwing us for a few quid for Gary Abblett.

1964, Winning England youth captain.

DFqvOqDXkAEKMYl

A article of fulsome praise by Harry Rednapp.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...as-a-special-talent-and-fun-to-be-around.html

Harry Redknapp: Howard Kendall was a special talent - and fun to be around
There are three things that you can say about Howard Kendall with absolute certainty. He was a truly great player. He was a truly great manager but, most important of all, he was a fantastic person.

I have known Howard for more than 50 years and saw him only last month at Goodison Park when we were both at Everton’s 3-1 win against Chelsea. Howard never missed an Everton game and, through all my years in management, one of the highlights of the season was going to Goodison and catching up with Howard.

It was unheard of for him not to be an Everton game. Just impossible. He loved talking about football and our conversations would invariably drift back to 1964 when we were both selected to play for England in the Under-18 World Cup. Regardless of whatever else we went on to do, it was one of our happiest moments in football.

We were kids – I was 16, Howard was a year older – and it was the sort of shared experience at that age that you never forget. It was played in Holland and Howard was our captain. Howard would go on to become the youngest player ever to start an FA Cup final later that year for Preston North End against West Ham United and we also had a fantastic Under-18 England team at the time.

As well as Howard, men like John Sissons, Peter Knowles, Don Rogers, David Sadler, John Hollins, Micky Wright and Tony Brown all went on to have great careers in the game. We also had a lad called Bobby Noble, who would have played many times for England at left-back were it not for a car accident a few years later. We beat Spain 4-0 in the final to become the first English team to win the competition on foreign soil. Howard was fantastic and I remember us all lifting him above our heads when we won it.

A lot is rightly made of his managerial achievements but, as a player, he was also something very special. We have seen some wonderful footballers in this country but he played in what I honestly still regard as the best midfield I have ever seen in England. Kendall, Ball and Harvey, the Holy Trinity, and three of the most fantastic players you could imagine. None of them were big guys. Alan Ball would have been 5ft 6ins, Colin Harvey 5ft 7ins and Howard 5ft 10ins. They could play and tackle. All three of them were just the most complete midfielders.

Howard then achieved great success at quite a young age as a manager. The job he did at Everton during the 1980s was remarkable. Liverpool were one of the greatest sides in English football history during that period but the team he built was, for a time, the best in the country. He knew how to set up a balanced team. There were two wingers; Trevor Steven and Kevin Sheedy, who had a magical left-foot. He had Gary Lineker up front with Graeme Sharp then Peter Reid and Paul Bracewell in central midfield. Derek Mountfield was outstanding at centre-back and he had a great goalkeeper in Neville Southall.

Tactically Howard was also excellent and he would change systems when he had to. Everton beat teams like Bayern Munich when they won the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1985 and, throughout that competition, he showed that he knew how to adapt to different opponents. It is amazing to think that no other English manager has won a European competition in the 30 years since.

That team played wonderful football but Howard also knew how to be pragmatic. His other great strength as a manager was his relationship with the players. You only have to listen to some of the tributes this weekend to realise how people like Peter Reid idolised him. Anyone who played under Howard loved him. He was one of those sorts of people. He was a fun character. He would always have a story. He lived life to the full and was great company to be around.

People on Merseyside, including all the Liverpool players and managers of that era, loved him as well. He was just someone that no one could possibly dislike. Whenever I went to Everton I always looked forward to see him and, even this last time, we were still laughing about the fun we had playing together in the England youth team.

Everton is a fantastic club for looking after the ex-players and managers and the chairman Bill Kenwright was great with him. Goodison Park is a place with real heart and feeling but it will never be quite the same again. They loved Howard there and he lived for Everton Football Club.

DFqvOqDXkAEKMYl

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...as-a-special-talent-and-fun-to-be-around.html

There are three things that you can say about Howard Kendall with absolute certainty. He was a truly great player. He was a truly great manager but, most important of all, he was a fantastic person.

I have known Howard for more than 50 years and saw him only last month at Goodison Park when we were both at Everton’s 3-1 win against Chelsea. Howard never missed an Everton game and, through all my years in management, one of the highlights of the season was going to Goodison and catching up with Howard.

It was unheard of for him not to be an Everton game. Just impossible. He loved talking about football and our conversations would invariably drift back to 1964 when we were both selected to play for England in the Under-18 World Cup. Regardless of whatever else we went on to do, it was one of our happiest moments in football.

We were kids – I was 16, Howard was a year older – and it was the sort of shared experience at that age that you never forget. It was played in Holland and Howard was our captain. Howard would go on to become the youngest player ever to start an FA Cup final later that year for Preston North End against West Ham United and we also had a fantastic Under-18 England team at the time.

As well as Howard, men like John Sissons, Peter Knowles, Don Rogers, David Sadler, John Hollins, Micky Wright and Tony Brown all went on to have great careers in the game. We also had a lad called Bobby Noble, who would have played many times for England at left-back were it not for a car accident a few years later. We beat Spain 4-0 in the final to become the first English team to win the competition on foreign soil. Howard was fantastic and I remember us all lifting him above our heads when we won it.

A lot is rightly made of his managerial achievements but, as a player, he was also something very special. We have seen some wonderful footballers in this country but he played in what I honestly still regard as the best midfield I have ever seen in England. Kendall, Ball and Harvey, the Holy Trinity, and three of the most fantastic players you could imagine. None of them were big guys. Alan Ball would have been 5ft 6ins, Colin Harvey 5ft 7ins and Howard 5ft 10ins. They could play and tackle. All three of them were just the most complete midfielders.

Howard then achieved great success at quite a young age as a manager. The job he did at Everton during the 1980s was remarkable. Liverpool were one of the greatest sides in English football history during that period but the team he built was, for a time, the best in the country. He knew how to set up a balanced team. There were two wingers; Trevor Steven and Kevin Sheedy, who had a magical left-foot. He had Gary Lineker up front with Graeme Sharp then Peter Reid and Paul Bracewell in central midfield. Derek Mountfield was outstanding at centre-back and he had a great goalkeeper in Neville Southall.

Tactically Howard was also excellent and he would change systems when he had to. Everton beat teams like Bayern Munich when they won the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1985 and, throughout that competition, he showed that he knew how to adapt to different opponents. It is amazing to think that no other English manager has won a European competition in the 30 years since.

That team played wonderful football but Howard also knew how to be pragmatic. His other great strength as a manager was his relationship with the players. You only have to listen to some of the tributes this weekend to realise how people like Peter Reid idolised him. Anyone who played under Howard loved him. He was one of those sorts of people. He was a fun character. He would always have a story. He lived life to the full and was great company to be around.

People on Merseyside, including all the Liverpool players and managers of that era, loved him as well. He was just someone that no one could possibly dislike. Whenever I went to Everton I always looked forward to see him and, even this last time, we were still laughing about the fun we had playing together in the England youth team.

Everton is a fantastic club for looking after the ex-players and managers and the chairman Bill Kenwright was great with him. Goodison Park is a place with real heart and feeling but it will never be quite the same again. They loved Howard there and he lived for Everton Football Club.
I've always liked Harry Redknapp, and out of all the tributes to our wonderful manager I think this was the best

Ar

DFqvOqDXkAEKMYl

Arry is a dodgy geezer but thats a fantastic piece from him.
He is spot on about Howard and about our club(apart from forgetting Gray and Inchy)
Well said Arry mate you old rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.