How would you feel playing Liverpool in a Pre-season friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Penalty Box Dancer

Player Valuation: £35m
As the title suggests, would you be happy about it or not?
After seeing Manchester United play Manchester City in Texas with over 67,000 people in attendance, there seems to be a market for these type of friendly games overseas. Albeit, it's not competitive, there is still some obvious sense of pride from either set of supporters going into this. If it was Everton vs Liverpool, I would imagine a fair few of us would treat this like a Merseyside derby. However, I would not be pleased about it because I think these games should be left for competitive matches and it kind of takes the edge of it for me. Playing each other twice a season with all at stake in a high pressured container is enough for me. A friendly game like this takes that away and it can lose its appeal and glamour. The tie should always have that 'feel' about it, not that circus feel like it would in a friendly just to please the American/Aussie/Thai/etc. audience. Overseas friendlies should be about playing local teams from that country/continent, I am partial to the occasional tournament like the ICC we competed in a few years ago but I think the Merseyside derby should be left alone.

What are your thoughts on this?

Crap thread I know, sorry.

As the title suggests, would you be happy about it or not?
After seeing Manchester United play Manchester City in Texas with over 67,000 people in attendance, there seems to be a market for these type of friendly games overseas. Albeit, it's not competitive, there is still some obvious sense of pride from either set of supporters going into this. If it was Everton vs Liverpool, I would imagine a fair few of us would treat this like a Merseyside derby. However, I would not be pleased about it because I think these games should be left for competitive matches and it kind of takes the edge of it for me. Playing each other twice a season with all at stake in a high pressured container is enough for me. A friendly game like this takes that away and it can lose its appeal and glamour. The tie should always have that 'feel' about it, not that circus feel like it would in a friendly just to please the American/Aussie/Thai/etc. audience. Overseas friendlies should be about playing local teams from that country/continent, I am partial to the occasional tournament like the ICC we competed in a few years ago but I think the Merseyside derby should be left alone.

What are your thoughts on this?

Crap thread I know, sorry.
I think I'd need a bit of help. I'm only one man Ffs!

Anyone remember the 0-0 at Goodison? Must have been around the late 90s.

It was a tournament and the ground seemed pretty full. Very young at the time so can't remember much more than that.

Anyone remember the 0-0 at Goodison? Must have been around the late 90s.

It was a tournament and the ground seemed pretty full. Very young at the time so can't remember much more than that.
Yes I was going to put that down myself, bit of a bore draw that one. I think it was a 4 team tournament and we played a match Anfield the day before(?) poss against a German team? There may have even been two matches back to back? Most of that doesn't sound right as a type it but I went to both anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.