Votes: 121 34.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • 4-6

Votes: 124 35.4%
  • 1-3

Votes: 42 12.0%

• Total voters
I think we should at least get the sliding scale points back. That seems like a double penalty to me, it should be one or the other, a fixed penalty or a sliding scale say of 1 point for each £10m over.

Someone on here suggested that Forest are £65m over the limit, which would equate to a 19 point deduction if they used the same formula applied to us. It is completely disproportionate in the era of £100m plus players.
I’ve said this and got laughed at.

I actually think it's quite difficult to argue for a few points here or there for this or that because the first IC basically gave very little logic for their decision. They stated what WASN'T the reason (we didn't use the formula, honest!) but very light on what WERE the reasons for 10 points. So it's hard to chip away at, but presents real grounds to argue the whole sanction was invalid:

1) Not giving sufficient reasoning behind the sanction. Yes, this makes the appeal difficult because we can't quantify what they did or didn't use to decide on ten points, but on another level we can argue this invalidates the decision as a whole.
2) The status of the PL policy / formula. Even if they state it wasn't used, if it was improper for it to be introduced (the clubs specifically voted against a formula) then we can say it had undue influence as they can't unhear it and quite obviously arrived at an almost identical sanction. Again if this was improper then it helps invalidate the decision as a whole.
3) They specifically stated they couldn't consider a fine as Moshiri is rich. It's a very basic principle that the business and the owner are two separate entities so that's not a valid consideration. Also, was any evidence introduced to them of Moshiri's current wealth? The PL may well have done so but it would presumably be hard to do without his consent. If they have just assumed he is wealthy then that is improper too - they have to proceed on evidence not inference. The point being that while they might not have arrived at a fine anyway, if they completely ruled it out from consideration on very shaky grounds then that colours the whole of the judgement.

So in a sense it might not be a case of just chipping away but going all or nothing - not arguing we should get a few points for this or that but that the whole sanction is invalid as they considered or were influenced by things they should not have. If we successfully argue that it doesn't mean we walk away scot free, but they at least have to start from scratch deciding a sanction without undue influence, rather than starting with ten points and knocking a few off here or there.

Which is a long winded way of saying I have no idea how many points we get back but if we successfully argue against the sanction as a whole absolutely anything could be in play, including all ten being replaced by a fine or transfer ban.

Im sticking with 4 points back.

6 for the breach which we have admitted

The other is 1 point for every 5 mil over, for me that's getting punished twice for the same thing.
This is the point, where did you get 6 from? The 6 points for breach and subsequent 1 point per 5m was the formula the PL put in that was rejected, rightly, by the IC....

With how this case has gone, if justice was to prevail I would take no points deduction and Everton are in fact compliant.... A good point that was in a post I was asked to retract, legally it is correct and may have legs re the stadium costs "The Premier League changed the parameters for what could be deducted part way through the process. This is unprecedented and could lead a judge to consider it grounds for a mis trial in a legal sense."

Don`t forget all of Spurs build was allowed to be capitalised but ours not midway through a year?!? Again previous would suggest in a court of law this could be argued successfully.

Amongst the guff everyone spouts on social media there could be little nuggets which could change your perspective or give food for thought.

Unfortunately the PL are in damage limitation mode, they have whipped up this whole storm and will lose out whichever way it goes, I think they will try to inflict as much damage as possible as revenge for the government coming to the table so quickly.

This is the point, where did you get 6 from? The 6 points for breach and subsequent 1 point per 5m was the formula the PL put in that was rejected, rightly, by the IC....

With how this case has gone, if justice was to prevail I would take no points deduction and Everton are in fact compliant.... A good point that was in a post I was asked to retract, legally it is correct and may have legs re the stadium costs "The Premier League changed the parameters for what could be deducted part way through the process. This is unprecedented and could lead a judge to consider it grounds for a mis trial in a legal sense."

Don`t forget all of Spurs build was allowed to be capitalised but ours not midway through a year?!? Again previous would suggest in a court of law this could be argued successfully.

Amongst the guff everyone spouts on social media there could be little nuggets which could change your perspective or give food for thought.

Unfortunately the PL are in damage limitation mode, they have whipped up this whole storm and will lose out whichever way it goes, I think they will try to inflict as much damage as possible as revenge for the government coming to the table so quickly.
This would make sense in that the PL announced that Everton didn`t have a case to answer in July 22 but then informed Everton that stadium costs were in the P&S in December 2022....

What changed? Apart from the fact the PL wanted to `get` Everton or somebody.

Last edited: