History of Everton's buys from Abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allezfan

Player Valuation: 1p
With Martinez talking about a global market and scouting players all around the world, sparking various debates about the wisdom of buying foreign vs buying from england (basically english experience costs you but it's also valuable) I thought it might be a good time to talk about our history of buying players from outside the british isles.

In the early years of the club, players were mostly local. When the league started and things became a little more organised, we started bringing in players from other english clubs and soon from scottish and welsh clubs. Even in the very early days of football, there was loads of movement of footballers throughout great britain.

And by the early 1900s we were regularly bringing in players from ireland as well.

The first time we looked beyond these islands for a player was in 1925, when Thomas McIntosh, the man who signed Dixie Dean, picked up David James Murray, a South African international playing in their league for the team Western Province (now a rugby team) after he'd impressed in a south african tour of ireland, scoring the equalizer as they beat northern ireland 2-1.

This sort of thing was not as rare as it might seem, it was common practice at the time for the colonial sides to send touring teams to britain and for the best players to sign on with english or scottish clubs. The first foreigners in the league originally came over as part of the canada team to tour britain on the weekend the football league started and similar things had happened with egyptian and australian tours in the 1900s.

Indeed our loveable neighbours would snap up another two of that same south africa side. Gordon Hodgson who went onto score 241 goals for them and is still their third highest goalscorer of all time and Arthur Riley , who played more than 300 games for them as goalkeeper.

Murray on the other hand, couldn't settle in england and went home after only playing three games.

McIntosh didn't look abroad again. There was a decent amount of movement between the english and french leagues during the 1930s but everton's only involvement was incidental. An ex player, Fred Kennedy, moved to paris after let go by oldham and won the league there while Peter Dougall was bought in from Sete but he only arrived at Goodison via Highbury after Arsenal had recruited him from France.

The ban on foreign professionals, non british or irish players had to either already be a resident or sign solely on amateur terms, prevented Everton from looking abroad again until the 60s when Catterick managed us.

By that time movement of footballing players was all too common but it mostly went the other way. As british footballers, frustrated at the maximum wage sailed off to play in italy or colombia or, mostly, the USA where the pay was better. Indeed in 1960 everton midfielder Bobby Collins was loaned off to south africa while at the club during the offseason summer months in order to top up his income playing there.

By the 70s and 80s you could find ex everton players in iran, finland, malta, brunei, hong kong, portugal, belgium, holland, australia, south africa, greece, sweden, spain, france, turkey and more. And while most were past it and not up to the english league any more, some ex league players were still capable and it became worthwhile to scout the world to bring expats back home.

The second player everton bought from outside the british isles was probably tommy jackson a northern irishman who Catterick picked up in 1967 from the detroit cougars, a sister club to northern irish club glentoran who regularly picked up glentoran players and played them in north america before selling them onto bigger clubs to get around the rules which prevented irish clubs charging a fee when selling amateur players. He was a proper foreign player in that he had never played in england before though he did at least know the british game.

The next two players on this list, bought in by Bingham and Lee, were even less of a risk, Duncan McKenzie picked up from belgian team anderlecht in 1976 had already impressed in england with Leeds, while Gary Stanley, bought in from the usa in 1979 was surely purchased based on his performances at chelsea. In the 90s you can argue similarly for john collins, kevin campbell and mark pembridge.

Eamonn O'Keefe, also bought in 1979 is an interesting sidenote, in that after struggling to get his break in english football he became the first european footballer given a professional contract in saudi arabia as part of an attempt by a predatory homosexual sheikh to lure him into bed. But he'd already been back in england and playing in non league for 3 years when we signed him.

By 1989 the restrictions on foreign players had long since been dropped, as had the maximum wage and so Colin Harvey was able to look abroad and bring in Jason Kearton from Brisbane Lions in Australia, Stefan Rehn from Sweden's Djurgården (the first everton player for whom english wasn't his first language) and Ray Atteveld from Haarlem in Holland. When Kendall took over for his second spell he continued where Harvey left off, bringing in Robert Warzycha from Zabrze in Poland and Preki from the States. It was up to Mike Walker to bring in our tenth player bought from outside the british isles, and by far our highest profile, when he splashed 3 million on Daniel Amokachi, a nigerian star playing in belgium.

Which bunch of misfits, Kearton, Rehn and Atteveld struggled to even get games, rather set the tone for everton's shopping abroad. Everton have had some excellent foreign players but most of them, arteta, cahill, saha, yakubu, distin, limpar, kanchelskis, jelavic, howard etc, had already got used to british football by playing at another british club first.

If you're looking at truly successful buys of players with no prior british experience the list is rather short. Gravesen, Yobo, Pienaar, Fellaini and Mirallas. Amokachi, Radzinski, Dacourt and Donovan are honorable mentions but their successes all come with asterixes.

It is in a great many ways still very much a new market for us and one we've by no means mastered.

Last edited:
Good that AF.

Reminds me of this that I wrote:

http://footyscene.com/foreignerz-guest-piece-by-ijjy-smith/#more-1132

The foreign signing hey?! Nothing gets my football juices going like ‘BREAKING NEWS’ going along the bottom of Sky Sports News and Everton’s name being involved with some exotically named weirdo that nobody has ever heard of. Actually, that last sentence is a lie. It actually fills me with dread, but the excitement is for sure there too. Something always grabs the imagination about a brand new Brazilian striker, or a Russian hard nut defender whose name nobody can pronounce.

Living in Southampton, I could not help but laugh as a few of their, uneducated football-wise fans (took a while to think of a nice way of putting it there), were getting excited about their new (at the time) record signing Jay Rodriguez. Sitting in the coffee area in my office overhearing, ‘oooh where is he from? Italy or South America?’. I tried to bite my lip but couldn’t hold back and shouted, ‘BURNLEY’! But that’s not the point of this piece. ‘Rodriguez’ and the number ’9′ looks awesome on the back of a shirt. That is a fact. This article will look at some of Everton’s foreign imports over the years. The more recent years to be exact as that’s really where I know my stuff.

Everton have had a really mixed bag on the foreign signing front. Some have been phenomenal, and will go down down as legends for all time. Others have been called Per Kroldrup. And we currently have a Belgian invasion going on with Fellaini and Mirallas, well for the time being anyway. But I want to steer away from the obvious choices here. On the plus side there will be no Tim Cahill, no Mikel Arteta or even no Andrei Kanchelskis here. On the minus side, no place for Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, Claus Thomsen or Rodrigo here. We are looking deep, and I’m going to be biased and pick my favourites……hey, it’s my article! Where shall we start? With Robert Warzhyca of course! Warzhyca is the first Everton import I can remember. I was still finding me feet as an Evertonian in 1991, when he signed from Gornik Zabrze. I vividly remember my dad informing of our latest signing. A nippy winger with a ‘Z’ in his name. ‘Wow’ I thought. 72 games later, and I had started to learn. Despite a quite brilliant 1990′s moustache, being given the horrible nickname of ‘Wazza’ and actually playing quite well at a half re-built Old Trafford he was pretty awful. But he still had a ‘Z’ in his name. Shame names on shirts didn’t exist back then. Warzhyca has actually gone onto do very well for himself in the MLS. He is currently head coach of Columbus Crew, and did actually gain 47 international caps for Poland. Maybe he wasn’t all bad after all.

Secondly on our Everton world tour we come to a personal favourite. Now don’t get me wrong, Mike Walker was a terrible manager, the wrong man, at the wrong time at very much the wrong club. But whilst he was trying to lure Brazilians named after yoghurts (Muller would have definitely made this list if he hadn’t been so greedy), he did manage to get Everton a World Cup ’94 superstar….his name was Daniel Owefin Amokachi. Now i’m fairly sure everyone knew the exact same about this man when we got him. He was the Nigerian lad who scored that cracker past Greece in the World Cup. That was about it. But with a price tag of £3m, which was quite a lot in 1994, we all hoped he was going to be ‘the one’. Sadly he wasn’t. But try and show me an Everton fan who doesn’t have a soft spot for ‘Amo’. The 1995, accidental substitute, 2 goal hero performance in the 4-1 smashing of Spurs in the FA Cup semi at Elland Road pretty much meant he had my undying love forever. To be fair he was a decent sub to use in the following seasons before he upped sticks to Besiktas. Amokachi is currently assistant manger with the Nigerian national team. Good for him.

Next up was a toss up between full backs…Italian or Portuguese….one clearly woeful and with awful facial hair, the other is Nuno Valente. Sorry Allesandro Pistone, you’ll get over it. Valente was a child of the Jose Mourinho time at FC Porto, winning the UEFA Cup in his time there, and had shown everything you’d want out of a fancy Portuguese left back. Great at getting forward, supporting the attack, a bit suspect at actual defending and yet had great hair which needed an Alice band. Take note Leighton Baines, at least at the hair part. Valente cost £2.2m, which was reasonable business at the time. Our other left back was Gary Naysmith……Gary……Naysmith. Yeah. Valente took a while to get used to the quick English game but soon had the left back spot tied down and was key to helping Everton be actually quite good in the mid 2000s. Injuries, and the signing of Baines saw him not get too much game time at the end of his Everton time, but he was very good, if not spectacular. After working as Everton’s Portuguese scout (that’s right, we had a Portuguese scout), Valente has returned to his home nation. Remember when Everton were sponsored by Kejian? I still don’t know who or what they actually did. Either way, Everton ended up with two Chinese players. One of them David Moyes actually knew who he is was as well. His name was (and still is) Li Tie. Nobody thought Li Tie would get much game time when he joined from Chinese club Liaoning. But he really impressed, playing 31 games as Everton finished 7th. He was very calm and cultured on the ball, without being spectacular. He did a job. And he did it well. He did this job so well, that I ended up getting a Li Tie Everton home shirt…possibly the only one in existence. Li Tie went on to play for Sheffield United, no idea why, but Everton had outgrown him for sure. He is now back in China and is unbelievably Marcello Lippi’s assistant coach at a Chinese team I daren’t even attempt to spell. Li Tie was last seen on British soil drawing Everton at home to Tamworth in the FA Cup 3rd round draw last season. Good lad, always liked him.

Finally on the Everton world tour, we have a controversial one. Every so often, especially during some seasons in the mid to late 90′s, Everton have had one player who didn’t really fit into the team for one reason. That reason was that the player was actually good. This could be said for Olivier Dacourt. Olivier Dacourt came in one of may summers of hope for us Evertonians. He came along with Marco Materazzi and that was enough for me. Dacourt sounded really French and Materazzi had not one, but two ‘Z’s in his name. This was is it for me. We’d finally made it. We were going to win the league. 27 red cards for Materazzi later and Olivier Dacourt tackling everything that moved, scoring a beauty (if a bit deflected) in a Merseyside Derby and generally looking not great. But I stand by the statement that he didn’t look great because he was surrounded by utter tripe. Dacourt went onto help Leeds in the Champions League, and even played for Inter Milan. He like Materazzi went onto to much better things but I still believe they learned a lot at Everton, and were just here at the wrong time.

This could go on. I’ve not even mentioned Ibrahima ‘The New George Weah’ Bakayoko yet. And i’m not going to. Because he was atrocious, no matter what Championship Manager said about him. I hope in another 10 years I can write another one of these, saying how Kevin Mirallas, Bryan Oviedo and Apostolos Vellios were so good we won the Intergalactic Super Planet Champions Cup League. Here’s hoping anyway.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking mate.

Great post mate, We always have a British manager so that could be the cause and Martinez is Spanish and hopefully will have a lot of success in the foreign market over the next couple of seasons.

"Which bunch of misfits rather set the tone for everton's shopping abroad. Everton have had some excellent foreign players but most of them, arteta, cahill, saha, yakubu, distin, limpar, kanchelskis, jelavic, howard etc, had already got used to british football by playing at another british club first.

If you're looking at truly successful buys of players with no prior british experience the list is rather short. Gravesen, Yobo, Pienaar, Fellaini and Mirallas. Amokachi, Radzinski, Dacourt and Donovan are honorable mentions but their successes all come with asterisks."

Good point. Amokachi and possibly Pienaar aside, I agree.

Great post mate, We always have a British manager so that could be the cause and Martinez is Spanish and hopefully will have a lot of success in the foreign market over the next couple of seasons.

good point tbf.

good stuff AF

..and if you know our foreign deals,
it's enough to make your heart go
hmmmmmm?

The interesting thing about this is just how slow we were to get into that market compared to our contemparies.

The english league had a few hundred foriegn players in it from the 40s to the 80s and in all that time at all we had none until the very last months of 1989. We're pretty much unique among english clubs in that.

It was only when the dam really burst in the 90s that we got in on it.

Good post.

The first time I started to notice an influx of foreign talent was when Middlesbrough signed Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson and it was around that season other clubs started to do it a lot more too. Everton wasn't a team that did it. Maybe in 1998 when we signed Madar, Bakayoko, Dacourt, Materazzi but Everton haven't really gone big in the transfer market anyway. I believe Martinez will bring the right players here and focus on developing our youth.

If we look at that effect this has had on English talent and we know it is going to continue, what chance do the academies have? Are they becoming a breeding ground for lower league sides? To make it as an Englishman in the premiership you have to be extremely talented because the standard of quality is through the roof. Look at players that have come over this season:

Fer
Wolfswinkel
Bony
Navas
Delofeu
Van Ginkel
Jovetic?

I've probably missed a few. Apologies. But these players will bring a holt to any youngsters making it through and push them back a year or two.

England might seem to have a good young squad coming through but looking at the state of the u21's can you see past the current England squad? England will never win the World Cup not the way things are. There will come a time when you have to be as talented as a young Wayne Rooney to even make it in the premiership.

great read. funny to look at some of those early buys. we seemed determined to make sure they were dull as possible to avoid any falshy foreigner accusations, although I can just about remember a Brazilian forward who was supposed to be on his way here in the early 80s according to him and the Echo. He announced that he would definitely score in the derby. The only other thing I remember is that he didn't

just out of interest where did you dig that stuff about Eamon O'keefe up from?

Really good read that AF and yours Ijjysmith... Our record abroad isn't great and some of the imports that clubs buy(not just ourselves) are no better than homegrown, what they are is a dam sight cheaper to buy which is the reason most clubs go abroad and only the rich clubs can afford the cream of British talent and even then they rot on the bench.

Good stuff AF, I think as a club we are quite behind the curve. The club does not seem to trust footballers who have not played in the UK before. I can not imagine our scouting network is any diferent to anyone else's and the managers change so it does seem to be an Everton thing.

Remember that HK could have bought Cantona but judged him not suitable for English football?

How many signings have we lost by dithering and then see them go on and sign elsewhere? I remember getting fap happy that we were going to sign Martin Dahlin (94?) only for the saga to run on and on and him eventually going to Germany. There have been many others since of course.

Recently I think this has been purley financial. We were (are?) skint and so to invest in an unknown was seen as too risky.
Moyes went even more conservative after getting burned with Kroldrup.

It is a shame really as there is nothing better than buying an unknown and really hoping he will be boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.