Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be amazed if anyone seriously thought Hibbert played well, but what I can say is that in that game he played to the best of his ability - and if he's unfortunate enough to be selected by Martinez in the Premier League, that's all you can ask of him.

If any of us was offered a few grand a week to play for Everton, we'd take it, so you can't blame Hibbo for doing just that.

Despite the positives Jags gave us with that injury time belter, it still doesn't take away the fact that Hibbert shouldn't be on our books. God knows why he was offered a new 2 year contact in the summer. You can clearly see that he's still under the Moyes mindset. We should had let him go.

He had an alright game, I guess Martinez didn't want a repeat of the performance Stones gave us at RB last season in the derby, hence Hibbert's inclusion.

You could see a lot of our players looking for other passes instead of the simple ball to Hibbert, almost as if they didn't think he'd have a positive pass if they have it to him.

If we sell him in the summer, or even the winter, we'd have a great return. He is simply not good enough for our modern methods.

I must have watched a different game than a lot of guys here. Hibbert and Barry was by far our worst players on Saturday. Everything the Red [Poor language removed] had came from their left side. Sterling went around Hibbert whenever he felt like it. When Browning came on Sterling was not nearly as effective.

Hibbert is well liked by everyone and rightly so. But he reminded me very much of Neville two seasons ago - the game went by him.

I must have watched a different game than a lot of guys here. Hibbert and Barry was by far our worst players on Saturday. Everything the Red [Poor language removed] had came from their left side. Sterling went around Hibbert whenever he felt like it. When Browning came on Sterling was not nearly as effective.

Hibbert is well liked by everyone and rightly so. But he reminded me very much of Neville two seasons ago - the game went by him.

Forgot that Browning replaced Hibbert. But you're right, Browning looked solid and did minimise the threat that Sterling gave Liverpool. Also enjoyed Browning having a few prods at Mario, that put a smile on my face. I suspect he'll start on Thursday.

Amazing really. People WANT Hibbert to fail. He had a good game Saturday. People are bending over backwards to find criticisms for him (Oh Sterling had a bad day, The fact that he didn't make any mistakes isn't the same as a good game, etc etc)
Are you Everton fans? Then support your team and your players- Tony Hibbert, while horrendous vs Swansea, played a good game vs Liverpool. End of story.

You're mistaken when you call him a liability, because he just proved he is still a dependable player, with limitations. I watched the Swansea game, I agree with you Montero made far too light work of him, but if he gets one on one with any player too often he's going to give them problems (he's lightening quick) so it's shortsighted to suggest Hibbert should've packed it in before the season. This mistaken attitude, combined with shortsightedness will leave you unable to see the stark reality of what playing Browning from the start would've meant in a game such a that.

In bold by you is a contradiction in its terms any player can back off because he now lacks pace - as another poster put it he backs of that much he nearly ends up in Tim Howard s net!
His limitations are he is by far passed his best, and was played due to his experience - yet at Swansea he awful every goal was down the right side, and my main worry is RM still rates him above Browning who looked a far better prospect as cover for Coleman - we shall see if HIBBO is selected again in the near future if he is I fear I will be proved to be correct!

Who is Liverpools best player? Sterling. Agreed? What did he do yesterday? Sod all. Agreed? Hibbert backed off when needed and McCarthy doubled up to help him which was a tactic deployed by Martinez I should imagine to nullify that side. Yeah sure Sterling and Moreno made a few good runs but ffs he done a job on them. Wasn't great but done a job and then as he tired after 73 minutes Martinez changed it. He did what he needs to do and dome it well enough that Sterling basically done sod all game and he is there main attacking threat. Bit of credit I think is needed.

If you recall Stones got Hibbert out of trouble with a great sliding tackle on Sterling, after Sterling had run round and away from Hibbert.

And so the fume goes on....and on....and on....and on.

We are into Monday afternoon and still the want to kick ol' Tone.

They just cannot forgive Hibbo for making their apocalyptic rants in the hour prior to kick off look plain ridiculous.

:celebrate:

Amazing really. People WANT Hibbert to fail. He had a good game Saturday. People are bending over backwards to find criticisms for him (Oh Sterling had a bad day, The fact that he didn't make any mistakes isn't the same as a good game, etc etc)
Are you Everton fans? Then support your team and your players- Tony Hibbert, while horrendous vs Swansea, played a good game vs Liverpool. End of story.

Wrong. People don't want to see him fail. They recognise that he is well past it and not good enough. We want the best for Everton and playing hibbert does not represent that. No need to bend over backwards to find criticisms and we could all see his faults and how obvious it is that he is past it.

This 100%

It really is a sad day when some of our own fans would rather see one of our own players fail so's they could be proven right over the vitriol they spewed before the game.

If you recall Stones got Hibbert out of trouble with a great sliding tackle on Sterling, after Sterling had run round and away from Hibbert.

Yes but how many times did you think Sterling would get the better of Hibbert before the game? Maybe 15-20 times. How many times did he get the better? 2 or 3 times. Great tackle by Stones but that's his job, to help teammates or should it now be exclusive that if it's Hibbert no one should help him so he looks as [Poor language removed] as everyone mentions.

I'm not a Hibbert fan btw but Martinez called it right playing him instead of Stones as he wouldn't have started Browning from the start. If he plays crap fair play he gets slated but he's just getting slated for the sake of it. Like I've said so many times Sterling was pretty ineffective and he should get a bit of credit for that.

This 100%

It really is a sad day when some of our own fans would rather see one of our own players fail so's they could be proven right over the vitriol they spewed before the game.

So far off the mark saying that. Why would anyone want to see one of our players fail. Maybe you needed to use that to try and find another excuse to defend what is now a player that is no longer good enough to wear the shirt. People are just saying he is not good enough so please don't try and twist it to suit your weak arguments.

So far off the mark saying that. Why would anyone want to see one of our players fail. Maybe you needed to use that to try and find another excuse to defend what is now a player that is no longer good enough to wear the shirt. People are just saying he is not good enough so please don't try and twist it to suit your weak arguments.

But he's here
And he wore the shirt
AND HE DID FINE!
Yes he's no longer up to standard because our new standard for full backs is Baines/Coleman (That's a pretty ridiculous standard- and as an Everton fan i couldn't be happier about it)
Does that mean Hibbert should retire? He hadn't started in the league in 666 days and when he did he did fine.
He won't be first choice RB again- so long as Coleman is fit he will start. Between him and Browning we have very adequate backup.

My main view on tony is that although he didnt do that bad in the game, browning would have offered more pace. Whether he would have been consistent who knows but getting forward with browning we pushed their left side back and that was one of the things we missed with no coleman there.

I think too many people are seeing Saturday in black and white. I was as ready as most of us were to drink the bleach in anticipation of Sterling abusing him on that side, and while he didn't win out every time in that battle he did a far better job than I had assumed going in to it. I'll echo what others have said here that tactically we shouldn't be sacrificing the positioning of McCarthy to cover for another player, but I think even with Browning starting it would have been necessary to have McCarthy sitting deep on the right to neutralize the threat of Sterling. He wasn't a huge liability, and I thought you could see that he helped assure the defence by being a leader and communicating well backt there. We knew he wasn't going to be that involved offensively but he did his job well enough over the 70 minutes he played.

Status
Not open for further replies.