Have you ever seen Everton lift a trophy?

Were u a living thing when we won a trophy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
no sadly
only starting following from afar in 1998
23 barren years

edit: technically yes as watched the '95 final but not counting it

I remember my dad telling me we had won the league in 1987 and I took the news on board the same as being told it was chips for tea.

1995 was great for many reasons including the seldom mentioned vinny samways inspired charity shield.

Happy Sunday.

I like you all, so decided to give us young ones a really depressing insight into our failures for 26 years.

Since we last won a trophy, the following teams have won a trophy

Leicester x 4 - 2 LC, 1 FA Cup, 1 League
Blackburn 1 x League cup
Swansea 1 x League cup
Portsmouth 1 x League Cup
Middlesbrough 1 x League cup
Wigan 1 x FA Cup
Birmingham City x 1 League Cup

Since 1996, Everton have made one final… in that time the following clubs have matched or bettered us.

Middlesbrough - 5 Finals
Leicester, 4 Finals
Villa, Cardiff (2nd Tier) - 3 finals
Southampton, Newcastle, Portsmouth, Wigan Athletic - 2 Finals.

1 x Tranmere (2nd Tier), Leeds, Bolton, Millwall (2nd Tier), West Ham, Hull City, Crystal Palace, Watford, Bradford City (4th Tier!), Fulham, Blackburn, Stoke and Sunderland.

From that list, we’ve clearly had more stability than those sides, which each and everyone since appearing in a final going on to be relegated (except Palace). But that’s just not good enough is it? We’ve had 58 opportunities to win a cup in 26 years, and we’ve only managed to make 1 final.

The club has a systemic mental block, and coincides with our largest barren spell in our 143-year history.
Well that's a depressing read on a Monday morning especially with what's going to happen this week .
Very interesting read though . Thanks , I think .

First ever season was 84/85 - thought it was always like this!! The only analogy I can draw is when you play a gambler for the first time - the machine seems to know this and let’s you win ensuring your addiction and money for the foreseeable!

When we do win something it will be great as we’ll have earned it - sat in the pit when their under 5’s beat us and promised myself that when we do win something I’m going on one hell of a bender - that session is long overdue!

Everything since ‘84. Had been odd games in ‘83 season and was 10 when we won FA Cup. First Junior Evertonian card and regular match going in 84/85. Last won something around the time of my 21st birthday. Remember bumping into someone at the Services on way to ‘95 Cup Final and him grabbing me saying “we need to do this today. It’s been 8 years since we won anything. 8 long years”!!!

I was just 16 in 95 when we won the FA cup.

Didn't think we would go this long without seeing us lift another trophy.

Was a good day and ended up in the Spellow after getting back from Wembley to watch Match of the Day in the pub.

In the 90s our fans would rip into to Newcastle because they've never won anything. Their last trophy was 1969, but to our fans it didn't count as it was years ago. We could now be classed as that club.

3 x League titles
2 x FA Cup
1 x ECWC

I have a vague memory of being taken to Mather Ave to watch the team parade the 1966 FA cup, but I was only 3 at the time! In 1970 I can remember us winning the league, sadly that memory had to last another 14 years before we lifted another trophy. Those intervening 14 years kind of defined me as a supporter, times were pretty bleak on the whole, littered with low points like losing the league cup final after 2 replays, only beating RS a couple of times and of course the blatently corrupt refereeing of Clive Thomas who stole an FA Cup final from us. Like Banno posted, semi-final defeats hurt more than the final losses.

But once we hit our stride in the 80's, we were so strong, playing such great football, I actually dared to believe that it would always be like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.