Harry Catterick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great managers, bit of a tit as a man though! Single handed lay drove the press into the arms of Liverpool, ManU etc. Treated them like crap, banned TV cameras etc. He will never get the media credit for what he did (he effectively built 3 trophy winning sides) because he made the press despise him. Daniel Taylor did a wonderful article on Catterick in his sport log for the GuardIan, well worth a read!

Here's the link for anyone who like me saw your post and fancied reading it

Thanks for the heads up!

Sawyer presented him as a man of his day: a corporate manager rather than the charasmatic-manager that the football industry loves. Basically Catterick was projected as part of the Littlewoods bureacracy: a man who made decisions with business in mind. At the same time Sawyer underlined the complexity of the man by emphasising that he put together a team of exquisite ball players - culminating in the 1969-70 champions.
I think Harry was a business man as much as a football man. When he told Alan Ball he was being sold to Arsenal and Ball asked him why, he allegedly replied "It's good business son. We've had five years out of you."

Ball was 26 years old and surely at his peak.....

Still rankles with me to this day. Far more than losing Howard to Bilbao.

I think Harry was a business man as much as a football man. When he told Alan Ball he was being sold to Arsenal and Ball asked him why, he allegedly replied "It's good business son. We've had five years out of you."

Ball was 26 years old and surely at his peak.....

Still rankles with me to this day. Far more than losing Howard to Bilbao.
I think we did get the best out of him, tbh. He never cut it at Arsenal the way he did here....which is not to say his sale was the correct decision, of course.

Catterick in general though: two teams created to win two titles at either end of a decade. That is some achievement...and I think if those Greek gets in the EC hadn't been handed the tie we'd have played Ajax in the final...and that's just a one off.

Sawyer presented him as a man of his day: a corporate manager rather than the charasmatic-manager that the football industry loves. Basically Catterick was projected as part of the Littlewoods bureacracy: a man who made decisions with business in mind. At the same time Sawyer underlined the complexity of the man by emphasising that he put together a team of exquisite ball players - culminating in the 1969-70 champions.

Spot on Dave, I am glad I was there to see his period of management and see the team that were put together.

I think we did get the best out of him, tbh. He never cut it at Arsenal the way he did here....which is not to say his sale was the correct decision, of course.

Catterick in general though: two teams created to win two titles at either end of a decade. That is some achievement...and I think if those Greek gets in the EC hadn't been handed the tie we'd have played Ajax in the final...and that's just a one off.

Did not have the same players either side of him.

As a manager he doesn't get the credit he deserves imo.But his record is just as impressive as his peers, like Matt Busby Don Revie Bill Shankly etc.

Last edited:
Spot on Dave, I am glad I was there to see his period of management and see the team that were put together.
Wished I'd have seen them mate. I think the only one's left when I saw my first match at GP was Kenyon (who was on the periphery of HC's team), Darracott, Lyons and Gary Jones.

Got players to clock in.

I read a story about that in a book.I think it was Joe Royles.But anyway whenever a player was late, they would say something like boss there was an accident, and traffic was delayed etc.Catterick would just say, what time did you leave the training ground yesterday?The player in question would say something like 5 o'clock.Catterick would then just say exactly, you had enough time since 5 o'clock yesterday evening, to make it in on time for training this morning.You are therefore fined 1 weeks wages.He was a man who took no prisoners alright!

Last edited:
A read a story about that in a book.I think it was Joe Royles.But anyway whenever a player was late, they would say something like boss there was an accident, and traffic was delayed etc.Catterick would just say, what time did you leave the training ground yesterday?The player in question would say something like 5 o'clock.Catterick would then just say exactly, you had enough time since 5 o'clock yesterday evening, to make it in on time for training this morning.You are therefore fined 1 weeks wages.He was a man who took no prisoners alright!
Brian Labone spoke about it.
The cat said something on the lines of ; you've had since 1/4 to 5 on Saturday to get here on time.

Great managers, bit of a tit as a man though! Single handed lay drove the press into the arms of Liverpool, ManU etc. Treated them like crap, banned TV cameras etc. He will never get the media credit for what he did (he effectively built 3 trophy winning sides) because he made the press despise him. Daniel Taylor did a wonderful article on Catterick in his sport log for the GuardIan, well worth a read!
‘He made the press despise him’ Fair enoug, maybe because he despised the press, I know I do.

Yes Harry was an introvert, quiet, sensible, was his own man. He said, with a look towards Anfield, “ I’m not Rob Roy” Shankley was the opposite, an extrovert, loved and courted the press and they loved him, bit of a man in love with himself and his ego, but it takes all sorts. Whatever the difference between them in personality, let nobody be in any doubt that Harry Catterick wasvevery bit as good a manager as “ Fish and .Chips”

Status
Not open for further replies.